First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

I'm with you on the utility wires. I could take or leave highway lights, but a spiderweb of wires just annoys the heck out of me.

Until I moved to Charlotte, I never gave much thought to the visiual blight of utility poles or overhead tension wires. But now I notice them all the time, especially after hearing the complaints about them on this board. I was in NYC a few weeks ago and to my surprise there are even lots of utility poles and overhead wires there too! ...mostly in the outerboroughs though, not Manhattan. So I guess this is an unsightly plague that exists all over, to some degree.

Boulevard Centro has begun reservations for The QUAD, the first of three buildings within their Quarterside development. Below is the link to their updated website and text from an email I received from them. Unit sizes and prices range from 525-1148sq ft and $225-$265/sq. ft, respectively.

http://www.blvdcentro.com/quarterside/quad/quad.htm

"Thanks so much for your interest in The Quad! We are excited to be able to offer this brand new development to Uptown. THE QUAD, a condo community located in QUARTERSIDE, is an exciting mixed use development on the city block bounded by Sixth Street, McDowell Street and Seventh Street, and consists of loft-style condos within easy walking distance of the arena, trolley, and the restaurants and nightlife uptown Charlotte has to offer!

We are now accepting reservations! We understand everyone

I like the design of these. There are still unique, but in that a style that is similar to many of the other Furman projects in the neighborhood.

I also really like that they'll be 5 stories tall. That is taller than any project north of 7th, but is similar in height to Renwick and Court6, which are also between 6th and 7th. It'll give 6th Street a Gateway Village-type scale, especially if similarly sized buildings go on the USPS site and on the 6th and Davidson site next to the Family Services building.

104276397_4acf42651d_o.jpg

No, don't count on USPS moving soon or anything, but I have heard rumors that people have considered it. I'm sure that will be considered a little more deeply after Renwick and Quarterside are complete. At that point, the land value will be much higher, and the GSA might consider the opportunity costs of staying on that land.

I have a feeling that they'd probably try to build postal facilities into the new federal courthouse at Davidson and Trade whenever that happens.

Mostly, I guess it is just wishful thinking, as that post office is so hideously ugly. I'm sure it could be redeveloped into a sizeable mixed use development, as it is a great location.

I'm sure that all the new residents at Renwick and Quarterside will be disliking the noise from all the mail delivery trucks across the street. Who knows, maybe Furman will put in an offer for the land to help build value in his project across the street.

I think it is pretty great that someone could buy a place for the low 100s.

This project is going to be amazing. This is an entire city block filled with 5-8 story buildings, and will bring hundreds more people to downtown.

I'm glad he is continuing to choose different color schemes for his projects. It helps to further differentiate them from eachother.

I wonder if Skyline Terrace should pick some approved colors and then allow people to choose a different color next time they need to paint the exterior. It is pretty bland as it is, especially since there are so many.

Looks like they were digging very close to Myers, and the site is fenced off up to where Myers will be extended. As Renwick does not lie on Myers, any chance that they are doing work for the Appartment Building scheduled to go there as well? I thought they were still a ways away from building that...

They will probably grade the entire site at once, though as of now two different companies are involved. Merry Land sold the development rights for the condo building to Colonial (a REIT), though Fred Bolt of Merry Land went to work for Colonial. However, Merry Land still maintains the development rights for the apartments, but my speculation is that Colonial will buy that as well if the condo phase goes smoothly. I assume this mostly because Colonial's background is in apartments as opposed to condos.

Renwick is continuing to do sitework, which is great. This is definitely under construction, and it is great to see.

Also, in the past week, the old houses on 8th Street that are slated for demolition (that had the controversy a couple years ago) have had a lot of stuff out for the trash. Today I saw moving trucks. It is possible that we will see this project beginning, and for better or for worse, see those old houses removed for new more densely packed houses. There will still be single family homes, though, but just more urban in design. The plans for townhomes and condos have been scrapped.

M Street continues to move along nicely. The units along 7th look done on the outside, and are definitely no longer looking like '80s apartments'. At least I don't see the resemblance myself.

Looks like they are tearing up the eastern portion of the parking lot at the Community Center next to The Renwick. I would look for the basketball courst to be gone next. I believe that the project calls for a retaining wall between the two properties due to the change in elevation, I guess...

Also, The Renwick appears to be full speed ahead. They have now leveled the old basketball courts.

I did notice that some large trees near the sidewalk don't have those orange netting around them. I wonder if that means they will clearcut the trees within their lot, or whether they just haven't gotten to the point of marking the trees to save.

Photos today from the Renwick site.

Note how the rendering forgot to include the Hoefner Center, Courtside and Court6 (oops).

img38471800x6001zr.jpg

Myers St. on left and Renwick site on right. The fence bumps up against Myers from 7th to halfway to 6th.

img3845800x6001gn.jpg

View from the 6th St. side.

img3860800x6003ox.jpg

Looks like a big old ditch. I remember something about B. Centro having a ditch through Quarterside too. The fencing that extends from the Renwick site to Myers seems to be for this area.

img3844800x6009dt.jpg

Basketball courts used to be here next to the Hoefner Center.

img3838800x6005uy.jpg

2 points for the first person to notice the thing that looks out of place.

Is the thing out of place the 6th Street sign about 40 ft away from the 6th Street intersection in photo 3?

Did you happen to catch any photos of the 8th Street houses being dismantled?

That's it. On one side the street sign says 6th St. and on the other it says 5th St.

Sorry I didn't get to 8th St.