First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

well, this project turned out rather nice, i'd say. i can't help but think of what used to be there... a grassy knoll.

i too, thought of how much better this project would look without the flippin' power lines. i usually don't let power lines bother me but uptown charlotte would benefit greatly with the burying of these lines.

The power lines are a shame. At least here they raised them up so our view wouldn't be obstructed. Don't know what will happen at 7th & McDowell though. That one pole in front of the corner units is gastly. The other big issue here and elsewhere like Dilworth Walk and Latta pavillion is the high tension wires. Good golly.

dammit, I like it, I thought I was gonna hate it, I was damn convinced I was gonna hate it, and look at me I love it, I simply love it, it is a great look for uptown, thanx blvd centro, but next time take out the freaking powerlines, but otherwise, suprisingly nice, I didn't think they were gonna pull off the colors from the renderings but they did :-D

The problem of the fire station at one corner, then pivot, it's the USPS. It's one thing to have in approximity some kind of "peace of mind", however, on the other hand, how much "peace of mind" will the residents of the Quad have with sirens and mail trucks? Will the construction material of this building deafened the blares? Anyone know the material used?

The problem of the fire station at one corner, then pivot, it's the USPS. It's one thing to have in approximity some kind of "peace of mind", however, on the other hand, how much "peace of mind" will the residents of the Quad have with sirens and mail trucks? Will the construction material of this building deafened the blares? Anyone know the material used?

Well, one on hand, only the end unit actually faces 6th Street. It is just a parking deck along 6th, with the Quad units facing Myers Street and Renwick, and others facing 7th Street.

On the other hand, there aren't that many fires going on, and when you hear sirens, you know someone's dreams, and lifelong belongings are being rescued.

Also, I must say that there is a reason human beings are at the top of the evolutionary food chain. Our brains adapt to changing stimuli. When I first moved uptown, I was convinced I was going to have to move out immediately. I'd hear all the train horns all night. One time in the middle of the night, after hearing that stupid train horn all night, I sat up and yelled For God's sake, if people are dumb enough to be on train tracks in the middle of the night, they get what's coming!!!. On the weekend, I'd hear crazy drunk people yelling at eachother. I'd hear blow outs and/or gun shots, say a prayer, occassionally call the police, and try to go back to sleep.

But I'll tell you what. Now, you can shoot an AK through my front door, and I'll roll over and go back to sleep. I barely even notice the noise.

haha, me too, especially after living in Downtown Savannah, lived in an apt above congress street for a lil while, for those who don't know congress is the other main bar strip in savannah, the most well known is River Street but nobody ever goes down there the stairs are too dangerous to drunks

Hello Folks,

About the Quad.....is there a Firehouse Station (#1)at that corner? This Firehouse Station is located at 221 N. Myers Street. If the Quad at Quarterside is going to be built in that vecinity, it may be very noisy.

Apparently there are enough people who don't mind. This is sold out.

All they had to do was notify their waiting list. Furman sure knows what he's doing.

I think Quad just refers to the part that was released, but the whole Quarterside block hasn't sold out.

Correctomundo. Of course, there's another waiting list for the rest of the project, so the clarification may be moot in a few months.

Furman is the urban rock star developer in Charlotte. I guess that makes me a Furman groupie. :silly:

Then hopefully the buildings of the rest of Quarterside and the Quad are going to be built to withstand the sonance. If not, the architect should consider the stress the adjacent businessess will create for those residents. Another hopefully is that the residents are aware of their surroundings unless they know the area will convert into an highly sought upscale area where real estate prices will soar without these adjacent government businessess placing a negative affect on the value of their home! It would be ideal to attract retailers such as Starbucks/Seattle's Best, an Epicurean Gourmet shop, a Trader Joe's/Wild Oats/Whole Foods type of market, a flourist, Health Food store, a mini bakery, or other to add value.

The retail shops mention previously along with a rendition of Furman's architecture look to a Japanese Restaurant, a Crate and Barrel or Sonoma, and an art gallery would add to the repertoire, not to forget the elegant adjacent Renwick, which would definitely drown the the background disturbance. Definitely First Ward would have gone from "rags to riches". Who wouldn't like to take a couple of steps to a Gourmet Market instead of driving to one?

The retail shops mention previously along with a rendition of Furman's architecture look to a Japanese Restaurant, a Crate and Barrel or Sonoma, and an art gallery would add to the repertoire, not to forget the elegant adjacent Renwick, which would definitely drown the the background disturbance. Definitely First Ward would have gone from "rags to riches". Who wouldn't like to take a couple of steps to a Gourmet Market instead of driving to one?

I'm confused....are these places just in a rendering or is Furman actually saying that he has commitments from these retailers?

No, I don't think that Furman has any commitments with these retailers, however, to the residents, it would be an advantage to integrate these retailers into the future retail space that will be built within the complex. First Ward doesn't have retail shops like these. The idea of stepping out of your condo and walking straight into a Gourment Epicurean Store, instead of driving to another area of town, to buy groceries is ideal not only for convenience but for the areas real estate value. This becomes a very attractive feature!

Anyone have any information on what is going on with Court6? It seems like the construction has come to somewhat of a halt. The only thing I recall being completed in the past month is them installing all of the windows, but I'm not certain I've seen anyone working their in th past few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any information on what is going on with Court6? It seems like the construction has come to somewhat of a halt. The only thing I recall being completed in the past month is them installing all of the windows, but I'm not certain I've seen anyone working their in th past few weeks.

I seemed like construction had ceased, but now it appears to be going on again. They are installing the rounded corner of the building that faces 6th & Davidson.