First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

This is very bad news. It is definitely the site at 7th and McDowell, but it represents a much smaller and less attractive project than that shown originally as part of the Quarterside design.

The original building was 6-7 stories and had a spire that everyone seemed to like.

I like the design, but I will not be happy if it represents lower density that possibly signals a slowdown in Furman's optimism in the market.

Actually, I don't think "The Ledge" takes place of the 6-7 story building. This is a seperate part.

Check out the siteplan of The Ledge. There is no other part of the block that it would fit, except the 7th and McDowell corner.

So does this mean it is now stick built, so they had to stay under 4 or 5 stories? It seems to still have a parking deck, though.

Mr. Furman's consistant style, throughout the Quarterside project, incorporates a blend of transitions of home styles unique to Charlotte. Those transitions range from the urban to the industrial to the sleek millenium style in the latest high rises. The enveloping environment of the past, present, and future is also represented. Subtle colors, smooth lines, and uncluttered facades definitely lends to these non trendy buildings.

The Quarterside is the table of contents of Charlotte!

A Star Bucks/Seattle's Best, Fresh Foods Market/ Trader Joes/Wild Oats/Whole Foods, a Bennihana, a Cheesecake Factory, a Vosgues/Godiva Chocolatier, a Ben and Jerrys, a Williams Sonoma/Crate and Barrel/Sur LaTable, Barnes and Noble, Pier One Imports/Bombay Co., Chilis/Bennigans, an art supply store, a confection bakery store should be graciously invited. These retailers would be ideal hence the Bobcats Arena, the Afro American Cultural Center, UNC, and ImaginOn is in approximity. The Trolley line is within walking distance and the Gold Rush lines run by Quarterside. There would never be a dull moment in business for these!

My brother and sister in law were looking for a restaurant in the First Ward area and couldn't locate one. They ended in a restaurant (seemed to them like the only one in that area) between Tyron and College.

Oh i saw this project at work the same day I saw the Wachovia tower.....does Furman have a daughter named Lari Furman? If so I actually met her then. Although I had misread The Ledge as The Lodge right in front of her lmao

M St. is going much slower than expected. Our unit in the second to last section (N. McDowell) was scheduled for May, then June and now mid-July.

Now they are saying August. I wonder if everybody is working on Trademark. This is a huge disappointment. Fortunately we have somewhere to live. I'd love a clue if you have one because Centro is mum.

http://www.blvdcentro.com has a new rendering showing the entire Quarterside project with The Ledge replacing the 7 story building at 7th/McDowell.

There seems to be a decent amount of retail in this project. Hopefully it will pull a lot of foot traffic, and allow people living in 1st Ward to live a more car-free lifestyle.

Drove by the mini shopping center on 7th and McDowell yesterday, and it seemed to be closed up. Is this a sign that they are getting ready to tear this eyesore down, and opening things up for the Quarterside construction?

I hope so.

i noticed this morning that they put up the sign advertising the Ledge, starting in the 130's, at the corner of 6th and mcdowell. if you use this as an indication, then the answer to your question is yes, but then again, i remember that the renwick sign was up long enough to gather countless grafitti on it before they actually started construction on that.

• 3 weeks later...

CharMeck.org shows a recent Permit Application for the demolition of the shopping center at the corner of 7th and McDowell. Has not been approved yet, but it's a good sign BC is ready to get moving on the projects there. Hopefully they move through the permit phase without many issues.

Hate to answer my own post, but thought I would share...The Renwick is officially under construction, as they are pouring the cement for the parking deck today. Up until this point, all of the work has been related to the site, rather than the building itself.

Any guesses as to how long this will take to complete?

• 2 weeks later...

The permit for the demo on the old shopping center at 7th and McDowell has been approved, and the place looks completely gutted, and there is a large back-hoe sitting in the parking lot...

I give it seven days tops before it is a pile of rubble.