First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

And? :)

It was nifty. Looked like a mini-Trademark with green glass. Surprising considering the small size of the lot, but I think that's because it can go right to the lot line. Parking garage, boutique hotel up to 17th floor and then 120 units of condos above that. I forget how many floors for that, somewhere around 18 or 20 for a total of like 35 floors. The condos will be really small.

I guess we need to put this under first ward highrise projects. (grin)

Edited by ElricSeven

It was nifty. Looked like a mini-Trademark with green glass. Surprising considering the small size of the lot, but I think that's because it can go right to the lot line. Parking garage, boutique hotel up to 17th floor and then 120 units of condos above that. I forget how many floors for that, somewhere around 18 or 20 for a total of like 35 floors. The condos will be really small.

I guess we need to put this under first ward highrise projects. (grin)

Any word on quarterside?

David Furman said that 3 of the 4 buildings at Quarterside will all go up at the same time. Originally they planned to phase the develpment, but sales were so strong (about 90% sold) they decided to go ahead and build them. The 3 being built now are the Ledge, Quad, and the Row. All 3 will have ground floor retail. About 12,000 sq ft of Retail.

The 4th building on the corner of 6th and McDowell they will wait and build later, they are planing on making it an low rise office building, probably going to a law firm since it is close to the County Courthouse.

He also aknowledged the slow speed that Court6 is proceeding at, saying that it was supposed to have been done a year ago, but that they do plan on having it completed in the next 2 months. He did mention that the retail space in Court6 has been sold and he felt it would be good neighborhood retail, more details to come later.

He said they have not found a retail tenet for Courtside yet, that they have turned down some offers for that space so that they can get something they would feel good about.

Lastly he showed us the rendering for his Concourse project going on the grassy corner of the Bobcats Arena at Trade and College. Sorry guys, didn't snag a photo of this one, but it looks good. It does have some of the design elements of the Trademark. The bottom half is the Suites hotel and it looks hotelish. The top part for the condos is much more glassy with balconies. It culminates with a flat top with some flared overhangs. On the top floor of the hotel (about the 17th floor) is the Skybar with an open balcony that faces the skyline. For those of you wondering about parking, they are planning on using the top of the Arena loading dock area for surface parking for the hotel.

Furman goes to the City Council later this month to work out details on the purchase price for the land...at that time expect to see the rendering for Concourse to go public.

David Furman said that 3 of the 4 buildings at Quarterside will all go up at the same time. Originally they planned to phase the develpment, but sales were so strong (about 90% sold) they decided to go ahead and build them. The 3 being built now are the Ledge, Quad, and the Row. All 3 will have ground floor retail. About 12,000 sq ft of Retail.

Any idea of a completion timeline on the three buildings?

What kind of retail has moved into the Furman buildings? IE..gourmet, restaurants, specialty, etc? Does Furman have certain clientele in mind to fill those shopping areas? That is, wouldn't it make sense if the businesses were geared for the practical needs of the residents in that particular building and those adjacent to them....such as a gourmet grocery store or a Starbucks! First Ward is in desperate need of these. The government area is just around the corner of Quarterside!

Has anyone spoken to future residents or retailer tenents and asked what they would like to see in retailers for convenience sake?

What kind of retail has moved into the Furman buildings? IE..gourmet, restaurants, specialty, etc? Does Furman have certain clientele in mind to fill those shopping areas? That is, wouldn't it make sense if the businesses were geared for the practical needs of the residents in that particular building and those adjacent to them....such as a gourmet grocery store or a Starbucks! First Ward is in desperate need of these. The government area is just around the corner of Quarterside!

Has anyone spoken to future residents or retailer tenents and asked what they would like to see in retailers for convenience sake?

Reids is a great gourmet grocery store in first ward.

What kind of retail has moved into the Furman buildings?

Several establishments have approached Furman about leasing the retail space in Courtside, but he is holding out for the tenant with the right fit. I've heard that he has sold all the retail spaces in Court6 but I'm not sure who the tenants will be.

Reid's is both a great gourmet grocery and a great grocery in general. When they shop the competition, and they do, the results are usually within a few dollars of the big stores. Reid's usually wins. You are not going to be able to find twenty kinds of mayo but you certainly will be able to buy what you need. If they don't have what you want they will get it. Also, they have a great wine selection and you can open a house account.

Reid's is both a great gourmet grocery and a great grocery in general. When they shop the competition, and they do, the results are usually within a few dollars of the big stores. Reid's usually wins. You are not going to be able to find twenty kinds of mayo but you certainly will be able to buy what you need. If they don't have what you want they will get it. Also, they have a great wine selection and you can open a house account.

Reid's is a great gourment store, however, they have sort of a monopoly going on. They need some superb competion not mediocre ones. That's what this country is all about! Fresh Foods market is an example of a classic contemporary gourmet with some pizzazz! First Ward, specially where Quarterside is being built, needs some jazzing! The area is somewhat blah and besides Reids is not within walking distance when it's one of those cold bone chilling days!

First Ward, specially where Quarterside is being built, needs some jazzing! The area is somewhat blah and besides Reids is not within walking distance when it's one of those cold bone chilling days!

I have to admit, the one thing that bugs me about living in Starmount is that it's not close enough to Earth Fare, Talley's or the coming Whole Foods locations. My choices are Food Lion and a few other cut-rate grocers, or the HT at Park Road center (5 miles) or the other HT on Park road (about 4).

Edited by MZT

• 4 weeks later...