First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Signage for Court6 was just put up on the 6th Street side of the building. Hopefully this means tenants will soon be moving into the building. Also, don't know if anyone has seen it, but the Court6 entrance on Davidson is pretty cool, especially when lit up at night.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, the Renwick is now called The Enclave...its all part of the rebranding of this when they canceled all the contracts. Don't be surprised to see this pop up in the Next Big Thing.

Why would Doug Smith write an article about something that has already been "out there"? If he does it will be interesting to see how honest the article is or if it will be a happy-go-lucky puff piece that ignores what these folks have done to their earlier buyers.

hehe, it wouldn't be the first time Dougie has featured the same project multiple times as a Next Big Thing. I agree nothing has changed but the name and prices, but he could do an article on how market forces allowed Colonial to continue building this project while completely rebranding it at the same time.

The renderings are more atractive than the Renwick.

Enclave suggests being separate and different from its surroundings. Why would anyone move to an enclave unless they had to?

That is the interesting thing about postmodern urban design. We want to be someowhere and yet separated from that place whether it's a SFH oriented to the backyard or a self contained highrise condo that virtually shuts out integration with public space.

I hope such a blatant name suggests this trend is coming to an end.

• 2 weeks later...

I just moved into the Garden District, and am aware that there is an ordinance against street parking during Arena events, but I was surprised to witness (last night) the extent to which they enforce this. There is a man who rides around in what looks like a smaller version of the "Pope Mobile", who directs tow trucks to cars that do not have the proper tag to park on the street.

I'm curious if this was established as a result of the residents complaining about parking during events, or if this was a city decision, or something else. Either way, if you were the person that parked a white subaru in front of my house, your car was taken away around 9:20 PM :shok:

I'm curious if this was established as a result of the residents complaining about parking during events, or if this was a city decision, or something else. Either way, if you were the person that parked a white subaru in front of my house, your car was taken away around 9:20 PM :shok:

It was requested by the Neighborhood Association in 2005. Some residents want even stricter parking regulations, especially those closer to Caldwell St...and on the other hand some residents don't want any regulations. Later this year I think they will be reviewing it all to see if any changes need to be made.

The current regulations were "effective" - getting me to just take the bus and quit parking for free in 1st ward. I didn't want to be bothered with keeping track of "Arena Days" and it's easier to just do the same thing every morning.

ParkIt is ruthless. They are horribly unfriendly and are often exceedingly rude while they give you a ticket or tow your car. It adds insult to injury of getting a fifty buck ticket.

I agree with the event parking restrictions, but I believe that the violations are so small that the enforcement should simply be based on people calling, and not patrolling. Most of the people ticketed are residents that forgot to put their permit on.

The blocks nearest uptown really need the enforcement, many people crowd that area for events and it would be worse without the parking overlay. Further away is used only by people visiting residents and going to events. No event traffic ever occurs in the outer blocks otherwise. Park It however zips down just before the event is over and tickets/tows the neighbors who didn't check to see if there was an event or to harvest money from the Trinity parents who won't follow rules regardless.

The overlay is only a revenue stream in the outer blocks, It needs to be tuned. Park It's attitude and the towing Nazis will not be missed.

To borrow and alter a line from "Chasing Amy"... Parking rage!!!

Pissed but not towed.

How does one go about getting the street permit that prevents towing?

You can go to the ParkIt! office at the corner of Brevard and 3rd during normal business hours. Take your Driver's License and Vehicle Registration(s) with you. You fill out the form, they confirm you are a First Ward resident, and then they will give you the permits on the spot. The permits are free.

Wow....the front page article in next week's CBJ is about North Tryon and its failure to see the same development activity as S. Tryon. The article morphs into an all out assault on Levine. Some developers and uptown players have some pretty strong words regarding him. It's probably my favorite CBJ article in a while, and certainly from Spanberg, who typically panders to the Don Lochman types.