First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

Yeah - they're going to need every bit of a full court press to get those prices! I just spoke to a buddy of mine this evening who had lost his contract with The Renwick when it was reclaimed and renamed as The Enclave. Part of that deal apparently gave the original contract owners the first right of refusal to the new prices for the units they had originally selected. He told me that he reserved his ~1600sq. ft penthouse, skyline view unit for $327k back in June of 2004. They called him just the other day and said they were offering him the option to purchase the same exact unit now for $569k. Can you believe that? He sure couldn't and just laughed in their face before hanging up. If that isn't an act of disrespect, I don't know what is.

In my opinion, the view from The Enclave isn't all that impressive considering it's predominately of Courtside's ugly backside. For $375/sq. ft., you can buy a stellar highrise condo on the 22nd floor of TradeMark, which doesn't even compare to the lowrise, stick-built Enclave. After what they greedily did to the original contract owners, I hope they have a dreadfully difficult time selling these newly and outrageously priced units.

For $569k, you can get a 1,600 sq. ft. unit left in Courtside with a skyline view....it is insulting, but not surprising. I still can't understand paying more than $300 psf for a stick-built condo in Charlotte.

That price is ridiculous... I fail to see what justifies such an inflated price. Is there any data indicating that buyers are paying these prices?

The Renclave (or Enwick) is putting on the full court press in terms of advertising, with recent spots in the Observer, and Creative Loafing. The price per square foot on some of the units is in the $375 range :shok:

I'm actually looking at getting a condo in Skybridge Terrace off Morehead Street and even there (outside of the 277 loop actually directly overlooking 277) even if you choose the least expensive unit you're looking at $210 per square foot minimum. I've never actually looked at condo prices anywhere else besides Lille, France so I really don't know what the ranges are by square foot in the largest U.S. cities and cities of Charlotte's size. It seems as if intown condo buyers are paying the prices of what Charlotte will probably be in twenty years as opposed to what it is now.

In UrbanCharlotte photos, the first two are the Enclave. Everyone sounds bitter with the scenario of the Renwick to the Enclave. This is called Capitalism. A permissable license to sell the "American Dream" at any cost. It's a dramatic change from the American Dream 40 years ago.

Maybe the Enclave builders know something ya all don't know about that area to justify their prices. If people are willing to pay these then something grandeur will be coming to fruition soon!

Edited by mdadolfo

Couple years ago the original Renwick developers were planning low income apartments for the land next to it. That was the info the Renwick RE agent gave us. Anyone know if that will still happen?

You stated a "COUPLE OF YEARS AGO"...past tense. Do you trust what all "RE agents" say? The big example the Renwick to the Enclave! Earth to Graydog!

Couple years ago the original Renwick developers were planning low income apartments for the land next to it. That was the info the Renwick RE agent gave us. Anyone know if that will still happen?

At this month's First Ward meeting a guy from CHA said that the plans for the low income apartments have been canceled and that for the time being there are no plans for that plot of land next to Enclave.

It looks like people have started to move into Court 6. There were a handful of closings listed over the weekend, and I have started to notice furnishings in some of the windows. Even though it took some time, looks like onother project can be checked of as completed.

It appears that an art gallery will be occupying one of the retail spaces in Court 6..,...the gallery will be called Kanvas.

Seems like an odd location for a gallery, considering what I would consider bigger retail "holes" such as restaurants, bodegas, etc., but it hopefully it will do well. I would assume they would concentrate of lower-priced modern paintings, similar to the gallery that was short lived at SouthPark (next to where Guess is).

It appears that an art gallery will be occupying one of the retail spaces in Court 6..,...the gallery will be called Kanvas.

Seems like an odd location for a gallery, considering what I would consider bigger retail "holes" such as restaurants, bodegas, etc., but it hopefully it will do well. I would assume they would concentrate of lower-priced modern paintings, similar to the gallery that was short lived at SouthPark (next to where Guess is).

Is this the same Kanvas that is in New York, and is a Bar/Art Gallery? I think that makes more sense.

http://www.kanvasnyc.com/

I'm not sure....that would be more logical though, and likely much more successful.

EDIT....actually, it looks that way (or at least a rip off of the NYC place) as the building permits mention "cold storage" "bar with sink" and "dishwasher"

• 3 weeks later...

I found this amusing. Levine graduated from UNC-Chapel Hill with a degree in City & Regional Planning....who would have guessed :)

I was actually hoping he had graduated from UNC-Charlotte, because I've been thinking that UNCC needs an Alumni "club", and thought that the Treolar House at 7th and Brevard would be a good spot. I'm thinking of a paid-membership club that has formal dinners/receptions etc. Most major schools around the country have this I believe, but I don't think UNCC does, probably due to it being a newer school.

I found this amusing. Levine graduated from UNC-Chapel Hill with a degree in City & Regional Planning....who would have guessed :)

I was actually hoping he had graduated from UNC-Charlotte, because I've been thinking that UNCC needs an Alumni "club", and thought that the Treolar House at 7th and Brevard would be a good spot. I'm thinking of a paid-membership club that has formal dinners/receptions etc. Most major schools around the country have this I believe, but I don't think UNCC does, probably due to it being a newer school.

He must have earned a graduate degree at UNC, as there is no (or maybe no longer) an undergraduate City & Regional Planning major program at Chapel Hill. I'm doing the urban planning minor as an undergrad at Chapel Hill. If it was a major, I think I would seriously consider doing it, but the business major gives you a wider range of professions to choose from.

It would be cool if UNCC got an Alumni "club" though. I'm always backing the hometown schools.

• 2 weeks later...

The Quarterside projects (not sure specifically which one) are building their elevator shafts - I saw that there were two up this morning. This should give a good sense of the height of these buildings once they are completed.

Enclave has finished all of their framing work, and have installed most of the windows, and some of the building facade. I don't see anyone moving into this before 2008, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Levine has put in a $32M bid for the Hal Marshall land in First Ward. If no one upsets this bid then the MeckCo Commission could(and probably will) vote to sell the land to Levine at their next meeting in July.

The plan is for the County employees to remain at the Hal Marshall center for the next 2.5 years rent free while new offices are built on Freedom Dr. After they move out it will be the developer's land to do with it as they see fit within the UMUD guidelines.