First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

Continue to wait for a response...did check Centrocityworks website and the Row is no longer listed. Are you certain of the Row's future?

From what I have heard from a friend who works for Centro, they are waiting until January and then starting another marketing campaign for the complex. This DOES NOT MEAN they will be turning them all into apartments. They will be condos. As for the Row, I heard Centro was approached, not the other way around, as they got into it a little bit more, it seems like it will not work out to sell to the person(s) who approached them about the Row as a whole. I do not know what they will do with it moving forward, however I do know the big retail spot in the Row is sold (not leased) to a seafood restaurant from Maryland. I believe this to be current information.

Lets see what happens in January when they say they are going to remarket the condo's. What is your closing date QCkid? Have they gotten the CO for the entire building yet? It feels like its going in slow motion this process. ------------------------- I'm not having cold feet, I am just putting out the facts. The flooring, according to my friend at Paresh flooring, is a big concern. Pre-engineered flooring can easily dent. The people at Paresh have told me that even though the floors could be doing well, doing well isn't going to be good enough. Ackkk. I get so frustrated with this process.

[MOD EDIT: I removed the comment directed at another user. If you don't like something someone said, make an intelligent retort or ignore it and move on. If the other user violated rules, report the post.]

Have they gotten the CO for the entire building yet?

Not yet, however, if you drive by, you'll notice that the temporary c/o's in everyone's windows along Myers and 6th and the side that faces 7th street are gone... I think they are close. The fire marshall doesn't really answer to too many people at all, so he's moving at what he deems to be a diligent and responsible pace, one that most people feel is maddeningly slow, including myself. And the banks must get there appraisers in as well.

Slow going, but it continues to move forward.

• 2 weeks later...

Not yet, however, if you drive by, you'll notice that the temporary c/o's in everyone's windows along Myers and 6th and the side that faces 7th street are gone... I think they are close. The fire marshall doesn't really answer to too many people at all, so he's moving at what he deems to be a diligent and responsible pace, one that most people feel is maddeningly slow, including myself. And the banks must get there appraisers in as well.

Slow going, but it continues to move forward.

Has anyone heard anything on the The Quad, it seems like settlement has been delayed to January. Are more people dropping out? What are people doing about interest rates?

They are doing some things that will make 8th St a non-issue, including possibly eliminating curbs, putting in retractable bollards and making the whole thing brick or pavers. 8th St is low volume and low capacity, and I believe it will be similar to that street that used to run in front of Reids before the LRT was built.

Also, don't get too used to plan A or plan B, as our digital versions are a bit behind. The last park meeting synthesized the two plans based on the public meeting in early October where they got feedback on the two designs. Word is that the diagonal 'bosque' of trees on the left rendering above is retained.

Keep an eye out here for the latest when they get to post it:

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Park+a...g/FirstWard.htm

The update from the November meeting is now posted to the above link.

I missed the last meeting, so this is the first I am seeing how they synthesized the two plans together based on feedback.

FirstWardMasterPlan.jpg

I'm very disappointed that they've now apparently abandoned the idea of moving the Treloar to become the park pavilion. I do like that they have dedicated the pavilion to be supportive of bikers, though.

I am glad they took advice and made a very good and direct path between 7th St Station and the UNCC building, as this was somewhat lacking in the previous plans.

Overall, I'm happy with how they've tied the sides together, what they've added in the way of smaller 'rooms' for classes (this was originally to be an 'education quad' in the 2010 plan, and I think it is getting there), serving little kids from Imaginon and big kids from UNCC.

Especially when combined with the playground going on First Ward Elementary's grounds, First Ward will get back the green space it has lacked ceded when the old (and very bad) First Ward Park was sold off.

I still do wonder what CCCP will do with getting visitors here, since according to their small-minded maps this park is not in 'First Ward' and it is in both Uptown North and Uptown East.

I'm very disappointed that they've now apparently abandoned the idea of moving the Treloar to become the park pavilion.

I can't believe Charlotte would want to demolish another older building in downtown. I know this building is currently run-down and I'm not sure if it has any historical significance. However; one of the things I hear about our city from outsiders is how plastic it looks. We have torn down all of our older structures to replace them with something new and shiny. Why not save this building and work to incorporate it into the park. I have always thought it was an amazing looking structure. It's sad to see another one succumb to the wrecking ball. I wish our city leaders would value preservation more. At least they will keep the Dixie's Tavern building but I think both should have been incorporated into the design to preserve the few older structures we have left in our center city. Do you think that Charlotte has a tear-it-down mentality because there are so many newcomers in the city that do not value the history of the area; because developers are given a blank check by our leaders; because as a southern city we strive to break our ties to a stereotypical southern past and try to convey an "New South" progressive image to the outside world; or all of the above? I personally dont think that destroying your ties to our history and past is very progressive thinking, but Charlotte, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, etc. seem to think it works. As the Levine Museum of the New South says "from Cotton fields to Skyscrapers." Everyone look how far we have come, we have big buildings and lots of bling, and dont worry about our history we have forgotten all about it and so should you.

Sorry for the rant I just hate to see another one go.

^ Did they announce that the Treolar building in going to be demolished, or that it will just not be used in the First Ward Park? Currently, it is not on the land that will be used for the Park, so it wouldn't need to be torn down to build the park.

Ok, I was mistaken. I thought that this land incorporated the property the Treolar building was on. I wasn't aware of the proposal to move it on to the property. Hopefully even though this will not be incorporated in the design it will provide an incentive for someone to come in and renovate this structure. I stand corrected.

By virtue of not saving it for the park virtually means that it will be torn down. Levine has a very poor record of preservation, and a very strong record of demolition by neglect, as he has been doing to Treloar for quite some time.

My favorite is that he has bald-face lied for years that a restaurant lease was being signed 'shortly', and lied to Dougie about plans for rehabbing the building when excavators tore down buildings touching this. Now, it is pretty clear that those buildings were removed because they were protecting the historic building, and he realized he could speed Treloar's decay by doing that and making sure some windows are permanently open.

He is quite the sleaze in that family.

You may want to direct your rant to the city or to Levine Properties, although neither cares about saving old buildings.

So construction of this park will start in Feb. of 2009?

Also, on what streets will the UNCC building be located?

Thnx

Kinda sorta...There is going to be an underground parking deck underneath about half of the park. That will start at the same time as the UNCC building. Actual park consturction wont start till 2010. The plan is to have both the park and the UNCC building open around the same time.

The UNCC building will be at the corner of Brevard and 9th. The park will be roughly bounded by 7th, Brevard, 9th, and the LRT Tracks.

Kinda sorta...There is going to be an underground parking deck underneath about half of the park. That will start at the same time as the UNCC building. Actual park consturction wont start till 2010. The plan is to have both the park and the UNCC building open around the same time.

The UNCC building will be at the corner of Brevard and 9th. The park will be roughly bounded by 7th, Brevard, 9th, and the LRT Tracks.

Thanks for the info.

Speaking of the UNCC building, has anyone yet seen a rendering of the thing? The design firm, Kieran Timberlake, is a favorite of mine and I've been eager to see something.

They haven't released the design yet. Word is that it will be released "Late January" and I continually hear that the building is stunning. On a side note to the side note, I've seen 2 billboards- one on 85 and one on 277 for UNCC features the Center City. Both passed me so quickly with the fog yesterday that I was unable to make out the details and was wondering if it had anything to do with the new UNCC Uptown building, but I'm thinking the ad was just generic.

• 2 weeks later...

Just trying to figure out what is going on with the project. Had the final walkthru but haven't heard when closings are going to be on the Quad. Anyone hearing what is going on with the Row? Also, what is going to happen to the empty lot next to the Quad. Any feedback will be appreciated. Anyone hearing how many units are still under contract?

Just trying to figure out what is going on with the project. Had the final walkthru but haven't heard when closings are going to be on the Quad. Anyone hearing what is going on with the Row? Also, what is going to happen to the empty lot next to the Quad. Any feedback will be appreciated. Anyone hearing how many units are still under contract?

With your last walk through, it was the perfect opportunity to receive an answer to all your inquiries. The only info available to me was the inspections/holidays delaying the closings and the closings taking place this month. That you are not closing in January there may be another hold up of some kind. You need to get some ground answers. About the Row, it was a proposal on part of the investor. Centrocityworks had no plans to sell the building to this individual.

The lot next to it....Furman put a bid in. Now this was the response a month ago.

I am curious about whats happening with the folks at the Ledge.

• 2 weeks later...