First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

Finally! Good architecture comes to UNC Charlotte! This building is beautiful--too bad it's not on the main campus.

Yup it's a stunning addition. This is going to join the ranks of the art museums and maybe the Duke Energy Building. People are going to now start flocking to 1st Ward to take pictures and wonder what it is, come to realize the Universitiy's building.

Wow. That is really impressive somehow. Quite different than the stub image they used for the initial articles. Not to start the age old discussion, but I hope it is okay at the ground level.

I am a bit skeptical that the actual glass and facade material will be as luminous as rendered, too.

Not to worry, it will sparkle. I spoke with Peter Franz in planning at UNCC and he told me the building's exterior is composed entirely of glass panels.

This truly is fantastic, this building will be a catalyst to so many new projects in the future in the first ward from apartments for students, to shops and other amenities that everyone in uptown can enjoy. This in my mind will truly make Charlotte have a vibrant urban center that retains people past 5 in the afternoon.

Gorgeous structure! I really don't understand why its taken this long for architecture like this to come to charlotte. First the Bechtler and AACC, now this, finally some great iconic architecture. Now if we can only get Encore Built, we might just have 4 progressive buildings downtown someday!!!

Great modern design that hasn't already been done to death anywhere else, and certainly a first for Charlotte (ok Betchler catilevers, but the materials give it a completely different look).

I'm not too worried about the ground floor. It's an institutional building, which traditionally don't have retail and really focus on a single entrance, but by virtue of being a university building that will have day and night classes, I think it should produce plenty of foot traffic.

Couldn't be happier......PLUS, the University is still planning to add a second building across 9th st......it would be great if we get another modern building though with a completely different use of materials.

The ground floor of Johnson and Wales has a lot going on for a "school building." All the kitchens can be viewed from the sidewalk and their bookstore and cafeteria are accessible off the street. I have seen another downtown satellite studio for a school of design, and their store front windows (it was in an old repurposed department store) were full of student models and big colorful maps and videos. It was actually one of the most interested storefronts in that downtown.

Don't discount the ground floor just because it's purpose is academic in nature. If UNCC wants to engage Charlotte through this project, the ground floor becomes as important as ever. I'm afraid the pseudo-palladian/federalist work that UNCC has forced onto their campus has lowered our standards too much. Academic buildings should be among the best and most lively in the city.

Wow what a great structure, talk about breaking the mold! Like a little slice of Berlin droped into first ward :)

Hey Levine, you better quit coming up with excuses!!! Your getting your garage, your park, and a beautiful building by UNCC, now get off your ass and do something that compliments all that.

Edited by Mobuchu

I'm starting to see that I'm not a fan of modern architecture. Its 'ok' and its 'different' but aside from that its not spectacular.

Not to worry, it will sparkle. I spoke with Peter Franz in planning at UNCC and he told me the building's exterior is composed entirely of glass panels.

I've noticed that in the right light, most of the buildings here will "glow."

I'm not too worried about the ground floor. It's an institutional building, which traditionally don't have retail and really focus on a single entrance, but by virtue of being a university building that will have day and night classes, I think it should produce plenty of foot traffic.

Couldn't be happier......PLUS, the University is still planning to add a second building across 9th st......it would be great if we get another modern building though with a completely different use of materials.

Street level activity is my main issue with this building. The design of the upper levels is secondary to me. Fortunately there will be a an art and architecture gallery, a bookstore and a coffee shop, so many of my concerns could be remedied assuming they face outward and not inward. It seems doubtful given the renderings in the 'movie' on UNCC's website.

IMO the old debate should be alive and well with this building. There is never and excuse to not have street retail/restaurant space in a urban setting like this one. We have too many buildings in uptown where we've made excuses and now we have countless dead space that will most likely never be anything better. The foot traffic that it will generate is all the more reason that businesses there would/could succeed. No excuses. Johnson & Wales is a great example of how to do it wrong. The class rooms are 'neat' but for all other intents they created dead space in the pedestrian realm. How many of you walk down there and stand in front of the windows to watch? To that end, the Gateway Village area only has two half-streets (one side of Cedar and one side of Trade) that really function like an urban street. The other sides of these blocks are never going to change for the better in terms of street life. Its a shame this this is going to be continued elsewhere in uptown.

Now before everyone gets the drawers in a wad over what I just said, in the grand scheme of things I do like having a UNCC presence in uptown. The presence of this building and students will be a benefit to the city. In terms of design, it is much better than the original brick rendering.

I've been waiting for them to announce this for a long LONG time! I remember a letter from the Chancellor to the students about eight months ago that said they would be reveling the design within a month... give-or-take half a year.

The article in the O said the ground floor is going to be a coffee shop among other services.

Finally! A Ritazzas uptown! Just what I've been waiting for! :yahoo:

Street level activity is my main issue with this building. The design of the upper levels is secondary to me. Fortunately there will be a an art and architecture gallery, a bookstore and a coffee shop, so many of my concerns could be remedied assuming they face outward and not inward. It seems doubtful given the renderings in the 'movie' on UNCC's website.

I wouldn't worry too much about there not being an entrance to these amenities on the exterior. Even on campus both of the coffee shops have internal and external entrances. So I would see it as highly likely that they would put an external entrance to these services in an urban area. And for them to include a bookstore, there is no way possible they would expect the bookstore to solely be used for the school if they are building this uptown. So unless they want to lure people into the lobby (which will probably be open until 10pm or later as most campus buildings are,) the bookstore should have an external entrance as well. I could live with the art gallery only having an internal entrance as that's how our other museums in uptown are anyway: you walk through a lobby first.

I was going to post this in the Duke Energy Tower forum, but this works just as well, as the retail yellers have spoken. Who here has opened a little shop in a rented space? It's really cute idea, but I see alot of new retail spaces empty, and alot of retail that didn't last a year and not because of the economy. How is it that if you just put some retail on the street, somehow all these activities will just happen. I love retail, but there are some projects that are weakened by it, especially if there just going to sit empty, or change tenants every 6 months. Yea I know there are many bank buildings downtown with horrible street presence and there almost hostile to the public. I just get a little concerned when I read NEVER applied to

urban design.