First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

^ Unfortunately, I doubt it. Courtside is a full 2-3 blocks away from this and will still be separated by two surface parking lots. It is definitely not bad news, though. A better sign for Courtside would be to have the vacant retail spaces on the first floor of it and Court 6 be developed.

^Um, Courtside is only separated by one block of surface parking. That bounded by 6th, 7th, Brevard and Caldwell, sitting between it and ImaginOn. Granted, there are multiple blocks of surface parking running north-south between Brevard and Caldwell. But thankfully, this wasteland is only one block wide, if east-west.

I don't know, maybe I'm just being overly pessimistic, but the only real development I see taking place with this project right now is at the corner of 9th and Brevard with the UNCC building...that's what my comment was based on. I believe the park when I see it being constructed (can you even construct a park?) I would love to see this act as a catalyst for First Ward in general. Anything to get rid of them lots...

• 2 weeks later...

Technically, isn't Levine Land anymore. But I agree, the fact that UNCC has forced progress in this area finally goes a LONG way. This UNCC project and the newly approved First Ward Park removes the most significant stretch of barren lots between First Ward's Garden District and the rest of Uptown. The fact that it is an iconic and interesting design and of a use that will help the neighborhood is a major bonus.

I actually think the lots between Brevard and Caldwell are the worst separators, as they are the ones I would be most cautious about crossing late at night, but the good news is, Levine is supposed to move forward one of those blocks in 2011 or 2012.

Well, when I lived in First Ward, I always felt these two lots were the biggest impediment. The other blocks you describe are still open space so even though it feels a bit sketchy coming back at 2a the morning from the bars, so did the parking lot blocks that the park is going on.

Now, if we get a park and Levine or whoever turns the other blocks into surface parking, then it'd become the biggest symbolic impediment in my mind.

There are signs up for many of the retail spaces in Quarterside/Quad now. There is "Pillar Pub", "Quarterside Deli and Cafe", a dry cleaner, a salon, and a place that just says Paris New York Fashion...so I guess a clothing store? These are all spots that are oriented to the small parking area in between the buildings, and the signs are all a generic similar style, but it did look like work was being done to the interiors. The Cafe is in the most prominent spot near 7th and Mcdowell and the Pub is on the Myers end.

I'm not sure how definitive these signs are really, but I'm excited. Seems like all these things are desperately needed in First Ward.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Something I thought about today (again) is that with all this talk about an uptown farmers market...maybe just maybe Levine is thinking of keeping the old buildings at 8th and the train tracks and turning that into the urban market. I know that he already received the demolition permit for those buildings many months ago...but that permit is going to expire soon if he doesnt demo them.