First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

• 3 weeks later...

There has been a bit a wrench thrown into the plans for the First Ward Park. There is a small parcel of land in the Dixie's Tavern block not owned by Levine that doesn't want to sell. The small parcel at the corner of 7th and Brevard is owned by Preferred Parking. The plan was for Levine to purchase their land and then exchange the whole block with Mecklenburg County.

The good thing is that Meck Co and Levine have decided to move ahead with the land exchange. So the possibility is there that there will be a surface lot as part of First Ward Park.

If you are a customer of Preferred Parking I urge you to please consider using a different company that actually cares about Charlotte.

There has been a bit a wrench thrown into the plans for the First Ward Park. There is a small parcel of land in the Dixie's Tavern block not owned by Levine that doesn't want to sell. The small parcel at the corner of 7th and Brevard is owned by Preferred Parking. The plan was for Levine to purchase their land and then exchange the whole block with Mecklenburg County.

The good thing is that Meck Co and Levine have decided to move ahead with the land exchange. So the possibility is there that there will be a surface lot as part of First Ward Park.

If you are a customer of Preferred Parking I urge you to please consider using a different company that actually cares about Charlotte.

Couldn't agree more. Not to mention that their lots seems to be horribly maintained.

Well, I am glad they are moving forward, but I panicked when I first saw the post, but after looking on Polaris, I see the parcel that is owned by Preferred is only .12ac and is at the corner of Brevard and 7th. The lot is slightly less than Dixie's footprint. It has 30 spaces.

http://polaris.mecklenburgcountync.gov/website/redesign/reallookup.asp?TaxPid=08002110&GISPid=08002110

Now let's say that doesn't end up getting included in the park. We get land that becomes very valuable, and will almost certainly be worth far more than the few dollars they can get from the parking revenue. They may then flip the land to developers willing to pay a premium to build on such a prominent location to serve the park.

If they don't the city can always just retaliate by adding a turn lane from Brevard to 7th or rezoning it for park only. There are ways to make it miserable for hold out parcel owners that get greedy. The owners of this parcel didn't do so well with their greed when the football stadium was being built. And that parcel is only 400sf smaller than the one we're talking about:

http://polaris.mecklenburgcountync.gov/website/redesign/reallookup.asp?TaxPid=07328102&GISPid=07328102

The supreme irony would be if they buy the Treloar house and save it from Levine. :) The original design for First Ward park had Treloar on this spot as a mirror image to Dixies.

I assume the roundabout reference was sarcastic, but no, they simply are planning aesthetic changed to make it feel more like you are driving through a park, versus a normal city street. But let's face it, 8th street is already calm for traffic, so don't expect dramatic changes..

I assume the roundabout reference was sarcastic, but no, they simply are planning aesthetic changed to make it feel more like you are driving through a park, versus a normal city street. But let's face it, 8th street is already calm for traffic, so don't expect dramatic changes..

Well when traffic-calming makeover was mentioned, I figured that the plan for the park might call for something similar to a roundabout, sort of like at the intersection of 9th and N. Davidson St.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

noticed some construction equipment, steamrollers and bulldozers, on the land between Villa Francesca and Treloar House on 7th today. It looks like that dirt has been flattened a little (I think) and pushed to the side. I'm doubtful, but hoping something is happening here, and that it is not to demo Treloar House. I'm sure we'd have heard about it already if that were the case. my guess given the equipment is that they're paving some parking there, which seems really unnecessary.

in other non-news, i think those coming soon signs in the 1st floor retail spaces of Quarterside were just for show. available signs are back up on many of the units, even though the signs like "Quarterside Deli, Coming Soon" are still there next to them. this i don't understand. this part of 1st ward has numerous blocks of semi-dense residential development, and NO retail or restaurants of any kind for like 4-6 blocks in any direction. it seems like many businesses could thrive in this area, whats the hold up?

in other non-news, i think those coming soon signs in the 1st floor retail spaces of Quarterside were just for show. available signs are back up on many of the units, even though the signs like "Quarterside Deli, Coming Soon" are still there next to them. this i don't understand. this part of 1st ward has numerous blocks of semi-dense residential development, and NO retail or restaurants of any kind for like 4-6 blocks in any direction. it seems like many businesses could thrive in this area, whats the hold up?

^ ok well that is great news, i was looking forward to the pub the most! i hadn't been by on foot or bike recently to check it out up close, just as a driving assessment it looked like everything on the 7th street side had stopped. there's supposed to be a fitness place too, but it didn't look any different than a month ago.

it will be great to have some activity around there. like i said i think the neighborhood must be eager to have some walkable retail.

Edited by nonillogical

noticed some construction equipment, steamrollers and bulldozers, on the land between Villa Francesca and Treloar House on 7th today. It looks like that dirt has been flattened a little (I think) and pushed to the side. I'm doubtful, but hoping something is happening here, and that it is not to demo Treloar House. I'm sure we'd have heard about it already if that were the case. my guess given the equipment is that they're paving some parking there, which seems really unnecessary.

I believe that they are just re-surfacing the lot for parking for Villa Francesca.

Edited by swh1972

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The UNCC building is a good 2 stories out of the ground now.

Good News about the First Ward Park: Preferred Parking has now agreed to sell their parcel to Levine who will in turn sell it to Meck Co. So the First Ward Park will be "whole"

Meck Co is set to approve the new agreements tomorrow that include the Preferred Parking parcel.