First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

There is also another good Business Journal Article about the plan to put the new Farmers Market in 1st Ward Park! That greatly excites me!

http://www.bizjourna...ard_market.html

here that is!

What happened to the market that was planned for City Green...???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:25 AM

From the "O" ...

"Over the years, city leaders have visited public markets in Seattle and Philadelphia, and Dewberry said Spectrum's goal is to pattern its market after those well-known facilities.

The market would operate from about 10,000 square feet of indoor space, but would include outdoor space for fresh-food pavilions during the spring and summer months. "

10,000 sq ft for a Farmers Market ??? Pleeeease.. Check out Philly's Reading Terminal Market...

http://www.galenfrys...inal_market.htm

Now THIS is a Downtown/Uptown Market!!!

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Hopefully both will happen and around completion in 2012 there will be some level of development activity to help grow the area around those two parks.

http://charmeck.org/Departments/Park+and+Rec/Inside+The+Department/Divisions/Park+Planning/FirstWard.htm

This is the first time I've seen the concept of two-levels of balconies on the Dixies Building. I like the idea.

Dixies.jpg

They've also updated the design somewhat significantly, although the elements are the same:

http://charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyres/euf4wwdhsbqmkl7swr4gmz4anfh3327tr46jsf7kxihfmhi2dau6lpd776slqytzfykysekzrhdzk36k5i3ckcqptdh/masterplan.pdf

You can read back through the thread, but the council voted on this and opted to keep the street, as it is very low volumes, and did not want to curtail connectivity. It is controversial, but is decided and done.

Also to add to this statement, they are going to add a curve in the road as well as pavers as both an Aesthetic element and to make the road slower.

8th St thru here is actually smaller than roads that go thru all sorts of parks. It is not ideal, but was a compromise. It is nothing like the high volume 3rd St thoroughfare that would have gone by the original 3rd Ward Park location.

I remember at one point there was talk of removable bollards but I'm sure they were scratched. I think it would be good to close the road to vehicles on weekends and holidays.

looking at the updated master plan, i am MUCH happier than i initially was, and am a much bigger fan of this than i am of the plans for the 3rd ward park. the only thing i miss is the apparent removal of a small stage/performance area, but that will be easy enough to set up on the lawn when needed.

will the start of construction later this year include only the park itself within 9th/brevard/7th/lrt? or might we see the construction of market st, the garden walk east across brevard, and the proposed building next to UNCC sooner than later? the traffic calming measures to 8th st. look great, actually. given the park's layout it doesn't look like it will be dangerous at all, and i think its wise to keep the connectivity if we want the area surrounding the park to become a nice retail district.

I hate that I missed the public meeting last Thursday. I was away for part of week, so I must have missed the announcements.

I really like the lawns on the opposite side of Brevard. I hope that is part of it. It adds to the open space in the area.

Hopefully both will happen and around completion in 2012 there will be some level of development activity to help grow the area around those two parks.

http://charmeck.org/Departments/Park+and+Rec/Inside+The+Department/Divisions/Park+Planning/FirstWard.htm

This is the first time I've seen the concept of two-levels of balconies on the Dixies Building. I like the idea.

Dixies.jpg

They've also updated the design somewhat significantly, although the elements are the same:

http://charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyres/euf4wwdhsbqmkl7swr4gmz4anfh3327tr46jsf7kxihfmhi2dau6lpd776slqytzfykysekzrhdzk36k5i3ckcqptdh/masterplan.pdf

They should go for the fancy wrought-iron like you see on balconies in New Orleans, Savannah, Charleston, etc. That would be cool.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm digging how you can the UNC building frame is starting to become more visible in the skyline (particularly from Brookshire coming from 77) I think when that is completed and lit at night you're going to get a nice extension of view of the city from that angle.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure about the total height, but from 277 this thing looks pretty topped out. I may be wrong, I haven't heard anything about it in awhile. If it is, it isn't nearly as tall as I had previously expected, probably doesn't help that we were driving on an elevated section though.

I'm not sure about the total height, but from 277 this thing looks pretty topped out. I may be wrong, I haven't heard anything about it in awhile. If it is, it isn't nearly as tall as I had previously expected, probably doesn't help that we were driving on an elevated section though.

The most recent picture I saw of it made me feel that there are two more floors to go, but I'm not sure...

^I see what the confusion is now (I too thought they were starting another "layer" above the 4th one) - the TOP of the building is the top floor of the 4th layer - it looks like there is a curtain wall enclosing an open roofdeck - this is why it looks like the top floor currently is sitting off-kilter with the two floors below it - it's not a 5th layer - it's the open roofdeck.