First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i have no idea if this is new news but...

i live at Tryon House, so i immediately noticed the zoning petition sign up in the parking lot bounded by College/8th/9th/LRT. it appears to be for the addition of market street along the light rail, and the site plan includes a proposed building between the UNCC building and light rail. the 3rd page hints at the facade, which looks interesting and seems very specific to be part of the plan. can somebody who knows more about these planning processes make sense of this and tell us if we can get excited?

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2010_Petitions/Pages/2010-065.aspx

Part of Levine's plan for that acreage is to have a road built runnng parallel from where Reid's used to be and extending it all the way to connect with 10th Street. This would give set back for development along the rail line. It has been part of Levine's plan for a number of years.

i know about the plans for the street, but the site plan on the zoning page shows a building between the UNCC building and the lightrail. there are specifics about its footprint, facade, and overhang over the lightrail path, so i wondered if there is more info about that. it appears on the 1st ward park site plan as just "proposed building" but here its much more specific.

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming that the rezoning request gets approval in October, construction is slated to begin in the spring on Levine's vision of 2 million square feet of offices, 280,000 square feet of shops and restaurants, 2,000 apartments and condos and a 175-room hotel.

First Phase:

•A 435-space underground parking deck.

•City street and sidewalk improvements to Brevard, Seventh, Eighth and Ninth streets.

•Two parks covering a combined 4 acres divided by Eighth Street.

•A 5-story, 350-space parking deck atop a ground-floor retail center to be later expanded into an office tower.

•Various improvements, including the addition of Market Street between Seventh and Ninth streets.

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/2010/08/30/story9.html?b=1283140800^3859391

Edited by dbull75

• 2 weeks later...

are some of the opaque blue glass coverings temporary films or are they all permanent?

if they're permanent, it's the one thing i'm not liking about the building. while clad in all glass, only about 30% is windows (there are no windows at all on the north side except for the stairwell). i guess i was hoping for a more transparent effect like 1boa.

are some of the opaque blue glass coverings temporary films or are they all permanent?

if they're permanent, it's the one thing i'm not liking about the building. while clad in all glass, only about 30% is windows (there are no windows at all on the north side except for the stairwell). i guess i was hoping for a more transparent effect like 1boa.

I hear you, but I think if it was more transparent it would lose some of the effect of the layering, because those lines would not be as well defined. That's why I think the use of some opaque glass helps form hard lines around the layers, as opposed to seeing right through the building. Plus, since we already have a green glassed transparent building nearby in BofA, it would be a bit redundant to have a similar pattern.

Pic from today (sorry not great quality, from phone)

post-931-073304900 1284914604_thumb.jpg