First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

• 3 months later...

So Levine Land is underway. It's going to include 2million sf of office space, 282,000 sf of retail, and 2,150 sf of residential units. Does that means construction is going to be started on any buildings? Or when and from who do we expect more in-depth plans about office, retail, and residential spaces to be told?

• 4 weeks later...

I know that the UNCC business school will have a building in there. Perhaps that building is the spark. At any rate, I am like others and hope that this really takes off. Uptown could use a little more density.

Perhaps that and the DNC Convention. Hopefully the DNC will be a spark for the completion of a lot of projects!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It appears work is progressing on the First Ward Park in tandem with the UNCC building parking garage. Looks like the land around the UNCC building, which is bordered by 8th/9th/Brevard & light rail tracks, is all being dug up and I saw a ton of debris next to that old abandoned brick building abutting 8th St & the tracks. If that building doesn't have some sort of historical landmark status - and I don't believe it does - I assume it's just gonna be leveled pretty darn soon.

I guess the next big step that will make me a believer that the park is really happening will be when they jump across 8th St. and start tearing up the Dixie's parking lot. :good:

Edit: Just checked the park's master plan and I don't see that brick building included, so I will stick with my original hunch that the building will be razed. The Dixie's Tavern building, however, will remain in tact (Steelers fans exhale).

Edited by SmellyCat

Just an important sidenote - classes begin in late August for the UNC Charlotte center city building so expect a lot more pedestrian traffic in that area. Add the opening of the new permanent center city farmers/green market in the old reids space and I think this area is going to feel dramatically different by fall.

Edited by Urbanity

So when does Brevard street construction begin? I know they needed to raise the elevation of the street so that the park didn't have the drop off at the (NE?) corner. Seeing those utilities go away and the Dixies parking lot ripped up will be a welcome sight!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Interesting article in today's business journal on Levine's troubles getting financing for this project. Groundbreaking has been pushed back to the Fall, although that now appears to be uncertain.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/print-edition/2011/06/17/still-plotting-future-for-first-ward.html?s=print

And now it appears groundbreaking on the park has been pushed back yet again, to 1Q12 per this excerpt from an O article on the UNCC building in First Ward:

"Daniel Levine of Levine Properties said plans for his mixed-use development have been slowed by the economy.

The project is a partnership with the city and Mecklenburg County. Levine hopes plans will be finalized within six weeks, and that work on the park and other parts of the project will begin in the first quarter of 2012.

To build the $11 million park, about 48,000 cubic yards of dirt will be trucked in to raise the area between the UNCC building and Seventh Street by 8 feet, Levine said. Plans call for Levine to build the park and turn it over to the county for cash and a land swap."

I guess we'll know more in mid-Sept....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Einstein Bagels opened in the lobby a couple of weeks ago (it's open during weekdays, but closed on weekends). As did the UNCC bookstore/gift shop. I went inside the lobby, it's a really sweet building. Feels a little odd though, with so little foot traffic around the building right now. However, hopefully that will change.

There is also a website just for the UNCC "Center City" campus: http://centercity.uncc.edu

good shots, but that UNCC building is butt ugly. I am glad it is there, but it looks like an old communist structure in one of the former eastern block countries.

You serious? Wow, it's probably one of my favorite buildings in Charlotte, let alone anywhere. I guess one man's trash really is another's treasure.

I think the only real problem with the building is the color of the glass. The renderings make it look almost white, but in reality its this really weird green color. If they would just change that, then the building would look great, as of now, though, it looks good because of the design.

Regarding the pictures, one of them really shows the scope of the properties owned by Levine. It really is amazing to try and picture the potential development alongside the park.

There's been speculation that the original design was value engineered at some point to use a cheaper curtain wall exterior, which I think badly damaged the overall look of the project. It's still a nice addition to Uptown, but sadly not nearly as elegant as the renderings promised.