First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

• 4 weeks later...

dub has questioned whether Levine is incompetent or an evil genius (roughly), given that he is delaying even on the parking decks, going to go with the former.  He can make money off of those, and has a decade of property tax breaks to accompany the profits, seems a no-brainer to play that game as well while he's "land-banking".  Oh, yeah, and of course it will provide more parking for workers/visitors/shoppers and possibly stimulate other development around it.

• Like 1

Perhaps an evil incompetent.   :rolleyes:

No question that for my 13y living in uptown, I have heard him in person and seen his quotes in the O (remember all the Dougie Smith puff pieces?) declaring an imminent project.   The only thing that has ever come about has been his tax-benefiting sale to UNCC.  

Perhaps an evil incompetent.   :rolleyes:

No question that for my 13y living in uptown, I have heard him in person and seen his quotes in the O (remember all the Dougie Smith puff pieces?) declaring an imminent project.   The only thing that has ever come about has been his tax-benefiting sale to UNCC.  

CCCP's (fitting name) "State of the Center City" Report. They were pretty insistent that the the park and parking deck would start by 2nd Qtr 2013

http://m.charlotteobserver.com/charlotte/db_97739/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=VekN5la0

Just saw this exciting announcement and thought I'd open a new topic. Looks like Wells is partnering with cccp to bring 1st ward elementary it's own outdoor classroom themed park. it's being likened to the Green in size. While it will be for the school it will be open to the public during regular hours.

Organizers hope the park will be finished in time for the arrival of the Democratic National Convention in September, and speculate that it could serve as the site of some convention activities. The site is about five blocks from Time Warner Cable Arena, between North Brevard and North Caldwell streets.

Features will include a recreational green, performance stage, a bird and insect garden, and at least one commissioned sculpture.

It's really great to see wells continue to give back to the community post Wachovia. There is a rendering in the page itself but I could not post it from my iPad.

I noticed this for the first time when I drove by on Sunday. It does not look particualry 'park-like' from the street, Nor did it seem very inviting (but I was traveling at 35mph). Nonetheless its nice to see _something_ come to fruition over in Levine town. (I don't believe that he had anything to do with this project).

Yes.

CHARLOTTE, NC -- Today Levine Properties has announced a state of the art parking facility at 228 East 9th Street. Taking advantage of the planned station on a $1.1 billion light rail extension recently funded by the Federal Transit Administration, the new facility will provide space for 40 automobiles. The project is seeking LEED-Aware certification, with recognition of the existance of a certification tool by the United States Green Building Council, and will utilitize primarily local asphalt with recycled aggragate from a 1950s structure currently on the site. Additional LEED points were added through the use of Transit Oriented Parking, or TOP, a new urban design principle adopted in Charlotte, locating parking facilities near transit stations in urban locations. It is believed that this will provide transit services to a population previously unserved, riders that drive into downtown from nearby counties and then ride transit to avoid walking the final few blocks of their commute.

The area has seen a dramatic increase in residential population in recent years, from 0 to 1, predominantly with cardboard-style architecture. Daniel Levine, president of Levine Properties, is excited to announce the removal of 11,000 square feet of office space, previously used by the Charlotte Fire Department. It is generally agreed that boutique office space in old industrial buildings are not a good land use in the First Ward community of Uptown Charlotte. Parking will provide much more flexibility, as the space will now be able to serve vehicles of any size in a more efficient layout unencumbered by built structures. The facility will also take advantage of American-made zero energy payment systems, utilizing smalll slots to force the $5 charge through, contrasted to modern electronic payment systems, which require imported equipment and an electrical connection.

Customers of the new parking facility will be provided general views of First Ward Park Coming Soon signs with 3d renderings of expansive lawns, brick paths, and specimen trees. Renderings will also feature fun children's fountain, a plaza for UNC-Charlotte students to study, and surrounding towers overlooking the future park. Levine also hints at a 'fresh bistro' coming soon to the historic Treloar building nearby on North Brevard Street.

At the end of the press conference, Daniel Levine spoke inspiring words about the redevelopment of his home town's urban center, "This city has a great future in its quest to be world class, and when the world comes to visit all the wonderful things Charlotte has to offer, I am proud to provide them a place to park!"

• Like 1

"Transit Oriented Parking, or TOP, a new urban design principle adopted
in Charlotte, locating parking facilities near transit stations in urban
locations. It is believed that this will provide transit services to a
population previously unserved, riders that drive into downtown from
nearby counties and then ride transit to avoid walking the final few
blocks of their commute."

What?!  Is this really a thing?  Charlotte: providing light rail transit to the extremely lazy.

"Transit Oriented Parking, or TOP, a new urban design principle adopted

in Charlotte, locating parking facilities near transit stations in urban

locations. It is believed that this will provide transit services to a

population previously unserved, riders that drive into downtown from

nearby counties and then ride transit to avoid walking the final few

blocks of their commute."

What?!  Is this really a thing?  Charlotte: providing light rail transit to the extremely lazy.

Dubone was making crap up, I'm pretty sure he wrote that.

Dubone was making crap up, I'm pretty sure he wrote that.

Before I read any further...that was clearly not written by a professional. There are all sorts of grammatical and punctuation errors along with some obviously ridiculous statements. I'm shocked anyone fell for this...and if I'm wrong, then shame on any professional for putting out that sort of press release.

Before I read any further...that was clearly not written by a professional. There are all sorts of grammatical and punctuation errors along with some obviously ridiculous statements. I'm shocked anyone fell for this...and if I'm wrong, then shame on any professional for putting out that sort of press release.

However, in the spirit that it was just a joke and not meant to be taken seriously...I applaud the effort. I was just reacting to the idea that it was "for real".

CHARLOTTE, NC -- Today Levine Properties has announced a state of the art parking facility at 228 East 9th Street. Taking advantage of the planned station on a $1.1 billion light rail extension recently funded by the Federal Transit Administration, the new facility will provide space for 40 automobiles. The project is seeking LEED-Aware certification, with recognition of the existance of a certification tool by the United States Green Building Council, and will utilitize primarily local asphalt with recycled aggragate from a 1950s structure currently on the site. Additional LEED points were added through the use of Transit Oriented Parking, or TOP, a new urban design principle adopted in Charlotte, locating parking facilities near transit stations in urban locations. It is believed that this will provide transit services to a population previously unserved, riders that drive into downtown from nearby counties and then ride transit to avoid walking the final few blocks of their commute.

The area has seen a dramatic increase in residential population in recent years, from 0 to 1, predominantly with cardboard-style architecture. Daniel Levine, president of Levine Properties, is excited to announce the removal of 11,000 square feet of office space, previously used by the Charlotte Fire Department. It is generally agreed that boutique office space in old industrial buildings are not a good land use in the First Ward community of Uptown Charlotte. Parking will provide much more flexibility, as the space will now be able to serve vehicles of any size in a more efficient layout unencumbered by built structures. The facility will also take advantage of American-made zero energy payment systems, utilizing smalll slots to force the $5 charge through, contrasted to modern electronic payment systems, which require imported equipment and an electrical connection.

Customers of the new parking facility will be provided general views of First Ward Park Coming Soon signs with 3d renderings of expansive lawns, brick paths, and specimen trees. Renderings will also feature fun children's fountain, a plaza for UNC-Charlotte students to study, and surrounding towers overlooking the future park. Levine also hints at a 'fresh bistro' coming soon to the historic Treloar building nearby on North Brevard Street.

At the end of the press conference, Daniel Levine spoke inspiring words about the redevelopment of his home town's urban center, "This city has a great future in its quest to be world class, and when the world comes to visit all the wonderful things Charlotte has to offer, I am proud to provide them a place to park!"

Yeah, guys, I wrote this off the cuff as part of the post.  I didn't know it would come across without the obvious tongue in cheek.  :D  Just bagging on Levine like always.