First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

That's a ludicrously big parking deck, presumably that's going to be used for other uses, too? (It's over 7.7 spots per apartment)

Its a public parking lot to help anchor "Levine's 1st Ward 'Village'"

Why not wrap apartments around the parking deck!  Put the green space on the roof with a pool/amenities with a stellar view!  Such a great opportunity to hide a mega deck completely wasted!  The "private courtyards" are nothing more than fenced in lawns to the driveway for the parking deck.  What a luxurious location to be outdoors...

Edited by AuLukey
  • Like 1

I think with wrapping, it would have been a smaller deck more scaled for the number of apartments, whereas this deck is supposed to replace the parking that was once planned underneath the First Ward Park.  The smaller apartment structure would then need to be on the more valuable side, the side closest to the Lynx station and facing the skyline and away from the interstate. 

I'm personally not going to wish for the perfect over the good in Levine's case.   The fact that the deck seems to have an upgraded facade, and a reasonable number of apartments means that this project is good to me as long as it happens.    If he is finally getting resources together to have it built, then I can finally eat my words that nothing would be built this decade. 

This will be the least that should happen with a new light rail station.  We should all hope that the county sells Hal Marshall land to someone other than Levine in 2017 when the LRT is near done and hopefully SkyHouse will have some progress and we can get back some momentum in this area.

The 'complete' is probably an internal quirk in that the architectural work is complete, but it is sad that they would eliminate part of the context of the context of the building as part of the design.  That is one of the negatives of architecture during the 'dark ages' 30y ago in that they completely ignored and brutalized their contexts.  Hopefully firms are not continuing with that.  Granted it is a block away so not exactly a next door neighbor, but still.

I already had a number of posts in the MISC Uptown news thread about the CBJ article today on the planning stages for a North Tryon Master plan, but there was a section in the article I thought worth posting in this thread (bolded emphasis is mine):

" The problem: getting Levine to make good on repeated promises of forthcoming construction, which, to name but two of many examples,  popped up in 2005 and  again last year. City and county incentives tied to Levine’s proposal require him to build before receiving any of the taxpayer investments."

It's nice to see in print what all of us have been saying over and over...

That's a ludicrously big parking deck, presumably that's going to be used for other uses, too? (It's over 7.7 spots per apartment)

A portion of the Deck would also be dedicated to UNCC's Center City Building. Students and staff at UNCC currently use the lot that the Apts and Deck are propsed in for parking.

Also, UNCC could potentially build a second building at this location, although the LYNX line will be up and going by that time which, hopefully, will decrease the parking demand at the Center City Building.

Also, UNCC could potentially build a second building at this location, although the LYNX line will be up and going by that time which, hopefully, will decrease the parking demand at the Center City Building.

My understanding is that a second UNCC building is already planned.   I do agree with Light Rail would seem to take away the need for parking but the center city classes for UNCC are more the Grad level as well as professional who is seeking career enhancement so those parties would be probably driving from jobs or the such rather than taking BLE

My understanding is that a second UNCC building is already planned.   I do agree with Light Rail would seem to take away the need for parking but the center city classes for UNCC are more the Grad level as well as professional who is seeking career enhancement so those parties would be probably driving from jobs or the such rather than taking BLE

This is true. I am a recent grad who's graduate school program was housed there, and it is currently only used for said programs. Once the train is running out to main campus there is a plan to house more "traditional" classes there, taking advantage of the space that predominately sits empty from 9am - 5pm and to engage the student body more directly with Center City.

That being said, it is a fantastic faciltiy and the staff at the Center City Building does a wonderful job. An expanded presence Uptown for UNCC could only be a positive thing for both the City and that University. They are after all the state's "Urban Research University" (i dont know if I would rather laugh or cringe while writing that....) nestled on 1,000 acres of Suburbia..... 

Edited by km1789

• 4 weeks later...

It was confirmed to me last night by an official that the park is indeed supposed to break ground in January.  :yahoo:

I still want to believe but I am currently sitting on the 7th floor of the UNCC building looking over Levineland. There is ZERO sign of any sorts of preparation for activity. Not even any signage in the parking lot indicating that it will be closing in the near future....

I do hope this is not a 'fool me once' kinda situation.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...