First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

Clear Sky Images now has a construction gallery of the First Ward Park. 

http://photos.clearskyimages.com/p363885017

It looks like they'll update around the end of every month like the other projects in their "Current Progress Jobs" gallery.

http://photos.clearskyimages.com/professional-aerial-photography-progress-galleries

Edited by NCMike1990
  • Like 3

Here are some large attachments for the details on the project on Accela.:

https://aca.accela.com/charlotte/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=LandDevelopment&TabName=LandDevelopment&capID1=14LUR&capID2=00000&capID3=00015

https://aca.accela.com/charlotte/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=LandDevelopment&TabName=LandDevelopment&capID1=13LDU&capID2=00000&capID3=00025

First Ward - Brevard & 8th Streets
The First Ward - Brevard & 8th Streets project is located in Uptown Charlotte, NC on N. Brevard St. and E. 8th St. between the four city blocks surrounded by E. 7th St., N. Caldwell St., E. 9th St. and the existing Trolley Rail Line/future Light Rail Corridor. The project consists of removing the existing street and utility infrastructure on Brevard & 8th Streets, raising the intersection of Brevard St. and 8th St. eight feet, and constructing new streets with new utilities. The utility replacement will upgrade the existing infrastructure to meet future needs including a new large capacity storm drainage trunk line that will be installed from the intersection of 8th St. and Caldwell St. up to the Rail Corridor on both 8th St. and 9th St. The project will be done in conjunction with the First Ward - Parking Structure and First Ward - Private Street projects. The First Ward - Parking Structure project consists of a multi-story underground parking deck, mass grading for the First Ward Park project, and mass grading for a construction staging area. The First Ward - Private Street project consists of two private streets north of the future Light Rail Corridor between 7th St. and 8th St. and between 8th St. and 9th St., running parallel with the rail line.

I do not yet see specifically that the wire utilities would be buried, but considering Levine is the one doing the work for the city and considering that his projects would benefit aesthetically and during construction, and considering how they are building the road again from scratch, it seems like an almost impossible outcome to have new poles and wires put up.   That said, crazier things have happened.  

The answer should be on the 42mb attachment.  I'm going through it now. 

Yes.  Starting on page 14, the utilities will be buried with duct banks under 8th and under Brevard per the Dry Utilities Plan.     :yahoo:

The plans show the manholes and routes for the duct banks.  

It was fairly obvious that they would, but it is nice to see the actual plans to confirm it.  

It is such an eyesore now.   So I'm glad it is happening. 

firstwardpark2*600xx1850-1233-171-0.jpg

• Like 4

I thought the same thing when I saw that.   I have become so immune to Levine's announced plans, it is sort of mindblowing to see dirt moving, even though it is technically still just the budgets that the city, county, state, and feds have put towards the projects.  Don't forget that so far, the ONLY improvements to his land in First Ward have been government projects.  Blue Line Extension, UNCC, First Ward Park, and Brevard/8th Street rebuild.  Levine is doing the managing the work, though, for the park and street projects because it was all part of the deal to try to get him to do something.  But it isn't like the public is not still paying for the projects in the long run.

The big news will be when he actually starts on Canopy or the 10th St Apartments.  Then we all meet up and drink to celebrate!  :alc:  :alc:  :alc:

• Like 2

It does seem like the deal structure makes it inevitable that he will do something, but at the same time, it is totally inexplicable that they seemed so clearly to be trying to move forward on the 10th Street apartments, only to have nothing happen for 2y after declaring it to be imminent and starting permitting.

https://aca.accela.com/charlotte/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=LandDevelopment&TabName=LandDevelopment&capID1=12LDR&capID2=00000&capID3=00271

I think Levine might move soon because his window is closing. I think he counted on the 277 loop being a real barrier to urbanization in Charlotte, but with the center of gravity shifting to the south side (SouthEnd/"Midtown"), and NoDa developing independent of the "gap" in Levineland, he might see a future in which Charlotte has absorbed another round of development without his getting anything from his massive parcel.

Absolutely, in a way he missed some big windows a long time ago.  At this point, people know whether they go to the arena, Imaginon, and other assets in the area enough to warrant being in uptown versus the central neighborhoods just outside of town.   Obviously there is a lot of room to grow, but he needs to take full advantage of this momentum cycle. 

Very oddly, he would have done the best outcome to grow organically one project at a time over the last decade.  Every time he could have stepped on the escalator he shyed away.  Novare handed him a building and he screwed it up, and that was 5y after he was supposedly working with Cousins property of Atlanta that wanted to develop some of his blocks.   

Even now, I think it will still end up being organic growth because of absorption issues.  But for the love of all things holy, it is still a no-brainer to add a hotel and midrise apartment as proposed before confidence is lost in those markets.

• Like 1

Just interviewed a guy name Daniel Levine for the opening in my department. It was very hard to put my prejudice towards that name aside.  I even brought up our own Daniel Levine in the interview.

:offtopic:

Edited by Guest

So....this apartment/deck project is still actively being submitted/resubmitted in the building permits phase, with some trades being approved today.

They are in the 4th review cycle, and this isn't particularly cheap to keep working on updated sets of construction drawings.

Also, on the Land Use site, they show an approved site plan is a dramatic improvement in which this is now a 3 sided buidling....the big courtyard out-front is gone, and the building now has 3 "prongs" extending toward 10th, but most importantly, the parking deck is now wrapped in apartment units along Brevard and the LRT line, so the deck is only visible from 11th (plus I think it is a bit taller than the actual apartments, so you would see the top poke out from a distance)

One of our more tech savvy people here can probably grab the elevations/footprint from the Acela site and post here.

• Like 3