First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

Then the CFD HQ building will be torn down when they move this month.   Now that he owns the old CMS land across Brevard from UNCC, that building is sure to be torn down.  Now that he controls the land south of Treloar House, he will likely tear that building down in prep for Canopy which may or may not happen.  I'm shocked that the cluster of buildings next to Enterprise haven't been torn down, but they candidates for his next Lynx-station-adjacent surface parking lot.  

Dixies has no tenant, that seems likely to be torn down too.

He is such a negative force in uptown Charlotte.  

Then the CFD HQ building will be torn down when they move this month.   Now that he owns the old CMS land across Brevard from UNCC, that building is sure to be torn down.  Now that he controls the land south of Treloar House, he will likely tear that building down in prep for Canopy which may or may not happen.  I'm shocked that the cluster of buildings next to Enterprise haven't been torn down, but they candidates for his next Lynx-station-adjacent surface parking lot.  

Dixies has no tenant, that seems likely to be torn down too.

He is such a negative force in uptown Charlotte.  

Dixie's is to be preserved and incorporated into the park. I have seen images of how they plan to front the park with it. Think along the lines of the metal outdoor seating at Soul in Plaza Midwood, just larger and facing into the park. 

After carping at Levie for so long, some of you guys are going to fight him the rest of the way,

Why shouldn't we, he has yet to do something positive. Yes his park is under construction, but it's not finished, and as far as I can tell what we've seen his plans are a far cry from what he's been touting for several decades.

Does anyone have any specific information that this new land purchase would be the site of Canopy.  I strongly doubt it, and suspect it will go next to the church across from Museaum of the New South (so basically 7th and across the LRT from Dixie's).  This was the site of TWELVE that never happened, and a better location for a hotel.

I'm certainly not giving Levine credit, but I mean, he  bought it from LaPointe Chevy that has been bulldozed for > 20 years but still has a barbed wire fence hanging into the sidewalk.....there really is no way to possibly make it worse.

Does anyone have any specific information that this new land purchase would be the site of Canopy. I strongly doubt it, and suspect it will go next to the church across from Museaum of the New South (so basically 7th and across the LRT from Dixie's). This was the site of TWELVE that never happened, and a better location for a hotel.

I'm certainly not giving Levine credit, but I mean, he bought it from LaPointe Chevy that has been bulldozed for > 20 years but still has a barbed wire fence hanging into the sidewalk.....there really is no way to possibly make it worse.

It was just a guess. I like that space for a hotel because its proximity to the arena. You are probably right though.

Does anyone have any specific information that this new land purchase would be the site of Canopy.  I strongly doubt it, and suspect it will go next to the church across from Museaum of the New South (so basically 7th and across the LRT from Dixie's).  This was the site of TWELVE that never happened, and a better location for a hotel.

I'm certainly not giving Levine credit, but I mean, he  bought it from LaPointe Chevy that has been bulldozed for > 20 years but still has a barbed wire fence hanging into the sidewalk.....there really is no way to possibly make it worse.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2254178,-80.8366476,3a,75y,312.05h,69.13t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sUVGtB33G1HLCZss20fYK8g!2e0

They actually did fix the barbed wire fence.   Once upon a time I wrote to city council about it because it was on my walking route to work at the time and I was sure I would get impaled sometime.  

Officially on Levine's latest master plan, the hotel site was at Caldwell and 7th.  It always seemed like an odd spot for Canopy, and I agree it seemed best suited by 7th Street Market.   This does seem like a solid location for a hotel, though, because it is closer to the streetcar, arena, etc.

Courtside residents are probably jumping for joy that Levine bought it.  It will virtually guarantee that their views remain unchanged for decades.   

• Like 2

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2254178,-80.8366476,3a,75y,312.05h,69.13t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sUVGtB33G1HLCZss20fYK8g!2e0

They actually did fix the barbed wire fence.   Once upon a time I wrote to city council about it because it was on my walking route to work at the time and I was sure I would get impaled sometime.  

Officially on Levine's latest master plan, the hotel site was at Caldwell and 7th.  It always seemed like an odd spot for Canopy, and I agree it seemed best suited by 7th Street Market.   This does seem like a solid location for a hotel, though, because it is closer to the streetcar, arena, etc.

Courtside residents are probably jumping for joy that Levine bought it.  It will virtually guarantee that their views remain unchanged for decades.   

Haha.  Perhaps I should look into a residence at Courtside when I get back to Charlotte.

• 3 weeks later...

Is the new Market Street still planned? This is the new street that will run alongside the LRT from 7th to 9th streets.

yes. Somewhere down the line. I am pretty sure it will coincide with LRT opening though. 

Yeah, supposedly that was part of the original deal for the initial phase.

Assuming they are going to do that in this roadwork project, then I could see it being reasonable that they are waiting for the Charlotte Fire Department to vacate their old HQ for the new one.  Once they leave, then he can level that building, build a parking lot, and what were we talking about again?  "Oh yeah, groundbreaking is imminent, we are just waiting for an update on our master plan"

• Like 2