First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

It's a new street that will run parallel to the light rail tracks for a couple of blocks that's designed to allow vendors to set up and sell stuff.

Thanks. I think somewhere in this thread I posted one thing I'd love to see adjacent to this market. I wish Krispy Kreme would create a space like Café du Monde that stayed open really late if not 24hrs-a-day. Would be a nice draw for residents and visitors and would be a nice way to feature something historically NC.
  • Like 1

Photos from February 25th: http://photos.clearskyimages.com/p231500287/h229c2b50#h2d36a5e1

The park's outline is slowly forming. Structuring of the oval fountain/arbor pool (rendering below) is most noticeable since the last update a month

394rL.So.138.jpeg

I'd like it a lot better if it was a fountain kids could play in. Like Centennial park in Atlanta

I agree with both Unincorporated Area  and Whistle-stop.  

I agree with Metropolitan Area.

You guys are just mean. In their defense, The "poster hierarchy" for lack of a better term, is prominently featured above the avatar picture.

Photos from February 25th: http://photos.clearskyimages.com/p231500287/h229c2b50#h2d36a5e1

The park's outline is slowly forming. Structuring of the oval fountain/arbor pool (rendering below) is most noticeable since the last update a month ago.

394rL.So.138.jpeg

This rendering is for the secondary fountain closer to UNCC called "Arbor Pool".  There will be a children-oriented "interactive fountain" near 7th for Imaginon kids.  

http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/county/ParkandRec/Parks/ParkPlanning/Documents/First%20Ward%20park%20master%20plan.pdf

The fountain adjacent to the UNC Charlotte building is designed to drown out city noise for students trying to study/relax.  Are we so easily bored today that everything has to be interactive or become pseudo entertainment?  

I don't know if it's so much "being bored" as just interesting.  I like interactive stuff.  It's fun to play with.  I pretty much go and jump around on the noise maker things every time I'm in Romare Bearden.  I'm also 30 going on 11.

The fountain adjacent to the UNC Charlotte building is designed to drown out city noise for students trying to study/relax. Are we so easily bored today that everything has to be interactive or become pseudo entertainment?

Well, whenever Chatlotte ever has "everything interactive" let me know.

There is an interactive water fountain so that's a plus. I'd like to see more of the park. It's a little underwhelming considering Romare (they look like they have the same feel) That's not to say its not a vast improvement & game changer for that area :/ just would be cool if it were unique or a little eclectic/ish, big murals, etc.

I'll reserve judgement until more details.

Well, whenever Chatlotte ever has "everything interactive" let me know.

There is an interactive water fountain so that's a plus. I'd like to see more of the park. It's a little underwhelming considering Romare (they look like they have the same feel) That's not to say its not a vast improvement & game changer for that area :/ just would be cool if it were unique or a little eclectic/ish, big murals, etc.

I'll reserve judgement until more details.

It's our culture.  Tell me of the last time you went to a restaurant and there wasn't a TV staring you in the face?

Sometimes parks should just be parks.  Some trees, some grass, some flowers.  Not every new space must be programmed to death.  That's all I'm saying.  

We're over-stimulated.

Took me about fifteen minutes to post this between answering the phone and working on the NYT crossword puzzle.

I am still trying to get through the second paragraph, So over stimulated. 

It's our culture.  Tell me of the last time you went to a restaurant and there wasn't a TV staring you in the face?

Sometimes parks should just be parks.  Some trees, some grass, some flowers.  Not every new space must be programmed to death.  That's all I'm saying.  

You should see Duckworth's.   They might as well remove the lighting and just assume the TVs will light the place up.

Regardless, I don't understand the sarcasm about the "Arbor Pool".  Designers come up with all sorts of explanations for their designs, that have no bearing on the reality of the visitors when they come by.  Fountains and arbors are pretty standard additions to a park, and of course fountains are supposed to have water noise to help feel like a park instead of urban noise. 

It is a park.   Even 4th Ward Park, the park that is just a park, has some fountains (ugly ones that never work).  

• 2 weeks later...

This is the building at 301 E 9th St.

Not sure if this is a good or bad thing?? Sucks they aren't doing anything to the exterior.

Charlotte Lab School
• Detailed Scope of Work: The Existing Building (~30,000sf) will be converted into a K-8 Charter School, with grades K-5 in the first three years of their operation. The scope of work is only on the interior and will include new partition walls and finishes, electrical, some mechanical work.

This is the building at 301 E 9th St.

Not sure if this is a good or bad thing?? Sucks they aren't doing anything to the exterior.

Charlotte Lab School

• Detailed Scope of Work: The Existing Building (~30,000sf) will be converted into a K-8 Charter School, with grades K-5 in the first three years of their operation. The scope of work is only on the interior and will include new partition walls and finishes, electrical, some mechanical work.

The plans for this were posted a couple months back (not sure which thread though). I think this is definitely a good thing.

Woah, an MUDD was filed today for "7th Street Redevelopment" anyone know what this could be??? Sounds very exciting.

Edit: Looks like it is under the 28204 area code, so probably not Levine property.....danigt :(

Lol .. If my english is not that bad, when I star reading UP (almost 2 yrs ago) all of you were hating Levine, now he is moving forward all of you are loving him.

:thumbsup: