First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

It didn't look too special to begin with. Is the large parking deck still a definite part of the project or could it get chopped all the way down to a podium product?

The Large Parking deck will never be chopped. I think there is an agreement with the city that it MUST be built.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Of course it will take two years to get something started for him. He will also start his apartments two years after that because now he has to reconsider everything in the world.

No, no...it will take MORE than 2 years according to the article.

At least he's being honest; the year 2199 is indeed more than two years away.

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 3

YAWN!!!!! Maybe we should move this to the "Bad News Report" thread, because nothing good is ever happening on this one! Same old, same old hot air we have been hearing for a looooong time now.

The hotel will happen, the residential towers... Probably not

The hotel will happen, the residential towers... Probably not

How much pressure can Hilton put on him now? I found it interesting he actually took the time to go to that Hilton conference in D.C. and acquired dual-branding approval. Seems like he may be pretty serious on this one, but yeah I doubt we see the residential towers in our lifetime.

I was actually hoping the Canopy hotel would be by itself, not dual branded let alone with Homewood Suites. Hopefully this doesn't turn into the next Charlotte trend after Steakhouses and Sushi joints.

I agree.  I feel like the addition of Homewood Suites will cause the hotel to be value engineered, although value engineering may be more of a consequence of the developer and less a consequence of the brand.  That said, these hotels that one can find on interstate exits in Anywhere, USA getting built on prime uptown land are really starting to annoy me.  Like so many things, they represent the cheap "build something for the sake of building" attitude that characterizes so much of what people in the city like to term "economic development".   I, for one, hate this philosophy.  Just like every stick-built, stucco-clad apartment with no retail prevents a parcel from being used for a signature tower or mixed use development, every Homewood, Hampton, Hilton Garden Inn, or Motel 6 that is built uptown just makes the market less able to absorb a Hyatt Regency, Loews, Hotel Indigo, W, or JW Marriot.  I do not know how to prevent the aforementioned phenomenon from happening, but it sickens me to look at peer cities such as Nashville, Indianapolis, and Austin and see them get signature, luxury, convention-sized hotels while we continue to get 100-200 room hotels that are the same brands that can be found in Lumberton, NC.  

#rantover

• Like 3

Looks like Levine is no longer going to be actively managing his own lots in First Ward.   Perhaps he really is serious about developing First Ward in which case, I will revise my initial prediction of full build-out from 2199 to the year 2149.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/05/levine-properties-outsources-parking-management.html

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Levine is no longer going to be actively managing his own lots in First Ward.   Perhaps he really is serious about developing First Ward in which case, I will revise my initial prediction of full build-out from 2199 to the year 2149.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/05/levine-properties-outsources-parking-management.html

Forumers don't want anything to be built for the simple reason that that would mean they couldn't be angry at Levine for not building anything!

• Like 3