First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

Forumers don't want anything to be built for the simple reason that that would mean they couldn't be angry at Levine for not building anything!

Good point.  We would much rather see Levine Ward stay a sea of surface parking lots ad infinitum rather than see meaningful development take place on his 20+ acres all for the simple fact that we enjoy ribbing the guy for his distinct proclivity to over-promise and under-deliver. 

I would gladly eat my crow if I thought he could make Daniel-land come to fruition as it was originally intended.  However, he has been promising something great for the better part of 15 years and two market cycles and very little has been accomplished.  This thread just recently celebrated its 11th birthday  and so far all we have to show for Levine's grand plans is a small park and a McApartment building that are just now under construction.  Throughout the entire process, there has always been some excuse as to why there was minimal progress, whether it be permitting, weather, lack of construction materials, trade wars, elections, death of the family cat...you name it, he's probably used it as an excuse.  So forgive us all for being doubtful of the man. 

If only Aesop's Fables had a metaphor for this...

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 2

p1145342452-6.jpg

When will they ever learn! They are putting in 6' sidewalks with grass strips. WTF Charlotte. 

EEEEK THEY DIDN'T BURY THE UTILITIES!

post-17104-0-83212100-1431716023_thumb.j

Edited by Guest

WHAT?!  The plans have utility duct banks down Brevard.  I don't understand how it could be possible to have a road dug that deeply without burying the lines.   This seems like temporary lines until the new lines are all connected.

When I moved to "Garden District" in First Ward, the lines had been buried, but they still had some poles like this until the last of the customers could be connected to the new lines.

This does not seem even remotely plausible that it they are permanent lines.   

If you walk along the recently opened sections of 8th and Brevard, there are connections along the ground, I imagine, for street lights. In many cases, these are directly adjacent to the wooden utility poles, so I can't imagine that the utilities will stay where they are above ground in the completed version.

Yay for confirmation, although we kinda already knew it.

I do agree about the planting strips, but at least that is an easy conversion when needed, which we all know will be decades away because they will be just parking lots until we collect social security.

• Like 1

I asked the city about Caldwell/Brevard conversion to 2-way, and currently it's not on the books other than "it'll happen when development happens."

... because shutting down Brevard for 2 months wasn't a convenient enough time to do this?!?!?!  I am astounded.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Levine's 10th St Apartments are in full swing. The site is fenced off and is being graded. It will be a good addition.

It will definitely help.... They look pretty nice too. Good to see something happening. I've been on this forum for 12 years (crazy right?) and we've been talking about this project as long as I can remember. Can't believe there's a park under construction and now some apartments.

For the old dixies:

Delta Charlotte

• Detailed Scope of Work: Interior Office Build-Out Exterior Facade Brick Restoration (Paint Removal, mortar tuck-pointing, new gutters and downspouts) New Patio consistent with First Ward Park Plans Completion of rear ally consistent with First Ward Plans Installation of the Rail Trail adjacent to property as a part of the First Ward Park Construction

For the old dixies:

Delta Charlotte

• Detailed Scope of Work: Interior Office Build-Out Exterior Facade Brick Restoration (Paint Removal, mortar tuck-pointing, new gutters and downspouts) New Patio consistent with First Ward Park Plans Completion of rear ally consistent with First Ward Plans Installation of the Rail Trail adjacent to property as a part of the First Ward Park Construction

For the old dixies:

Delta Charlotte

Hopefully this isn't the old "Delta's" in disguise, with a less than original name.

Hopefully this isn't the old "Delta's" in disguise, with a less than original name.

Hopefully it is, that place was yummy.  Just over priced and unfortunate enough to be on a North Tryon dominated acres upon acres of vacant Levinetown parking lots.  

I'm relieved to see some progress on the old Dixies.  I was concerned that it would go the way of the Treloar house and waste away.