First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

Can't get the image to copy to UP today, but Ely has a rendering of the renovated former Dixies on the CO.   I kind of liked the original plan that had a New Orleans feel to it, better.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article23028564.html

Also that former plan was for retail/restaurant, and this is office. I think they'll end up being great workspaces, but not that many of them, and I feel its a big waste of the one non-UNCC building directly integrated with the park to not be a publicly-accessible space. 

Also that former plan was for retail/restaurant, and this is office. I think they'll end up being great workspaces, but not that many of them, and I feel its a big waste of the one non-UNCC building directly integrated with the park to not be a publicly-accessible space. 

I agree, I didn't even pick up from the initial article that it was Office Space, not until Charlotte Five had a short synopsis. I'm actually very upset that its not retail and restaurant. 

But there is Patio... That won't have people dining on it, looking at the Park.

Maybe An innovative tech firm could put something cool and interactive on the patio?

I'm just saying. If its office, hopefully it's at least a quirky business

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta love the power of low expectations.  We are all standing with dropped jaws that he is able to start construction on a run of the mill midrise apartment building.  Meanwhile, a few blocks away in 2 directions we have high rises on the verge of going up (and they will likely finish before him).   

"Good job, Danny!  This is an amazing self portrait.   Oh, that's a dragon?  This is a very good dragon portrait.  It will go right next to the paper plate moon on the fridge."

• Like 3

Hey look, awesome people making awesome plans. You know what would be nice for North Tryon too... a pocket park on the corner of East and College.

I'm seriously thinking of pitching it to the county.

Edited by mazman34340

^ its just the district plan from CCCP that they have been putting together for the past 6 months. AFAIK there is nothing concrete attached to it -- just a plan.

Last time I talked to them (about 6 months ago) they did say that the first priority for the area was to address the issue of clustered homelessness. They were very diplomatic about it, but they did not seem to have a clear strategy at that time.

Edited by kermit

It's a red flag to me when the first thing on their agenda is the homeless. Caring and trying to address the homeless issue is fine, but they need to remember they are trying to improve a district for everyone.

A pocket park would be a nice start.

It's a red flag to me when the first thing on their agenda is the homeless. Caring and trying to address the homeless issue is fine, but they need to remember they are trying to improve a district for everyone.

A pocket park would be a nice start.

Its a pretty big problem in the N. Tryon Area. Its going to effect the way people regard the area.

I'm going to have to go in there to get some perspective. Iv'e seen homeless in Savannah and while it's awkward, I never felt threatened. People need to handle panhandlers with thick skin.'

Now, aggressive panhandlers, public urination, and some other horror stories? I haven't seen that yet in Savannah and I hope not to see that in Charlotte.

I agree, tackle the biggest problem first. If you address the smaller, easiest/cheapest problems first then you still have the one thing that keeps people from the area the most still lingering overhead thus still keeping people from wanting to go there thus dramatically increasing the amount of time it will take to see an ROI. The homeless issue is by far the one thing that soils the perception of North Tryon.

I'm going to have to go in there to get some perspective. Iv'e seen homeless in Savannah and while it's awkward, I never felt threatened. People need to handle panhandlers with thick skin.'

You may have never felt threatened and neither have most of us on this forum since we are accustomed to what a true urban environment entails, but many more people than you may think do feel threatened. Visitors and tourists can contribute a great deal to the growth and vibrancy of an urban center.

The problem is that First Ward was both a no-mans-land where concentrating the homeless services was a way to get them away from other areas.   Now, we have the concentration and it creates a permanent blight on a single neighborhood, which is unfair. 

Homeless services should not be about clustering homeless to one place, especially not when it is hard on the people living there.   

I have long believed that one rule should be that charities and churches should feed them AT THEIR CHURCH or charity.   It is oddly selfish of them to not have them into their church homes to help them.  Instead they feed them at The Wall and end up creating a concentrated social network of vagrants that I doubt are helpful to their progress in life.   Feeding at their church allows for a more even distribution and helps the churches/charities know individuals and help individuals rather than a whole crowd of people that will be forgotten once the food is done.  

You may have never felt threatened and neither have most of us on this forum since we are accustomed to what a true urban environment entails, but many more people than you may think do feel threatened. Visitors and tourists can contribute a great deal to the growth and vibrancy of an urban center.

Agreed but were never going to get visitors or tourists if we don't build high quality urban spaces. If most of the lots remain parking lots or very ugly buildings (with some exceptions), then I doubt a tourist will ever go there willigly. I did spot some tourists by the Romare Bearden park which was encouraging... and very weird. We have tourists?

Agreed but were never going to get visitors or tourists if we don't build high quality urban spaces. If most of the lots remain parking lots or very ugly buildings (with some exceptions), then I doubt a tourist will ever go there willigly. I did spot some tourists by the Romare Bearden park which was encouraging... and very weird. We have tourists?

But that is exactly my point. You can build a luxury hotel or tons of retail but if you never address the homeless situation that much of the population considers a problem then people won't want to stay at that hotel or venture out to those shops. Not to say those things won't be able to stay open, but it will sure hurt their bottom line. Even if an apartment tower was built there most likely won't be nearly as much interest if the residents have to deal with getting yelled at for money as soon as they step outside. This will cause them to potentially have to charge lower rents. Everyone understands that homelessness is part of city life but when that city does things that causes that portion of the population to be so concentrated it is quite a turn off to many people.