First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

What are they doing on Market street again?

While I'm not sure how it's going to end up, the idea is that it will be a ped-friendly alleyway-style street that will help tie in the park and the rail trail. I think it was sold to actually be an actual "market" street.

At some point I read an article about it I can't remember, but, here's a screenshot of the original layout of the street system (within the pink lines):
xksmci.jpg

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/cats/planning/BLE/Documents/Public Meeting Sheet_1 - 2011 0927 - RE.pdf

They are definitely prepping the landscape to be Market Street, but it is the temporary construction easement for the Blue Line so far.  The right of way for the full Market Street is wider than shown in the photo above.  Market Street is outlined by the pink dashed line in this PDF, outside of the Blue Line's Temporary Construction Easement.   

Regardless, it is part of the requirement for Levine, so it will be underway at some point, probably when the LRT is mostly done in this section.  

What are they doing on Market street again?

Bahaha, absolutely nothing.  This is Levine we are talking about. Carefully look at the design of Market Street, it curves around the now vacant previously CFD HQ building on 9th.   

So do not expect development, but the street connection itself will be built, as it is in the contract between Levine and the city.  

• 1 month later...

Some pictures on Charlotte Agenda's Instagram: 

https://instagram.com/charlotteagenda/

Where are the trees?!! That's why I don't like Romare Bearden Park and now First Ward Park. 

Have you seen the trees in Romare Bearden recently and how much they have grown in only 2 years? They will fill out and so will these, but it takes time and is no fault of the design of the park. 

• Like 1

Have you seen the trees in Romare Bearden recently and how much they have grown in only 2 years? They will fill out and so will these, but it takes time and is no fault of the design of the park. 

yeah I think in 5-7 years Romare bearden will be completely tree covered except the grass lawns obviously. But all the paths and seating will be fully covered. Same thing here. 

I think that everyday because I had my panties in a huge twist when those dinky trees came in. I had no idea they would grow so fast. 

Or just take a look at the trees along the Sugar Creek Greenway, especially near Midtown where the fountains are.  I remember when they finished it (maybe 4-5 years ago), I was very underwhelmed.  It's really matured well now and you finally can start to get a little lost along the path.  It's not quite there yet, but it's a huge difference in a minimal amount of time.

The city settled the tree issue the same year this thread was started, 2004. The Visual Opinion Survey which concluded people like large trees by quite a bit.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/Transportation/PlansProjects/Pages/Visual Opinion Survey Results.aspx - click for the results which will download as a PPT.

I don't dislike him, I just ignore it now. After the Twelve Hotels project said "screw this" and instead developed "Novare's Massive Third Ward Project" Which is now present day Ally, Catalyst & Element (Which element was supposed to be a 40 floor Twelve) I sort of gave up. His best chance.

Ironic that the articles are like "The next Wave of this Wave after the waves of 2004-2008 developers are looking to....." while Levine comments on it and I'm just wondering exactly how many waves is he going to miss? We're not going to have growth booms forever.

Who cares about his parking lots. Hal Marshall and the Stonewall Corridor and 3rd Ward are going to be the interesting pieces. Just give up on believing any of his visions. He throws stuff out there just to get in the news I bet with his grand plans.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD