First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

He's not going to build the hotels spec either. He needs firm room commitments from all potential travelers now prior to starting any construction. 

Haha. I'm surprised he didn't expect his apartments to have 100% lease commitments before he started. Then again, it is stalled... 

• Like 3

Ely tweeted out last night that UNCC said the money is in escrow and that Levine got the paperwork that needs to be signed last week. So Levine threw UNCC under the bus in the media when the holdup now is his lawyers and signing the paperwork.  What a piece if work. He could have just said something along the line of, "hey just a temporary hold up and we expect to resume construction in a couple weeks one we get the escrow paperwork signed".

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On October 20, 2015 at 11:39:47 AM, HopHead said:

50 years from now when Levine actually starts building his hotel, office and apartments, there will be some shade. Though, I may not be around to see it. 

Daniel is currently looking for other sources of funding and equity partners. 

Screen Shot 2015-11-18 at 4.00.01 PM.png

In theory, the block now opened for private development in First Ward next to the Hyatt Place/arena at Trade and Caldwell would be discussed here.   

I am very much in favor of the plan because it will help liven up East Trade where government buildings and courthouses leave the area very quiet after hours.   If it can draw the energy of the arena east along the streetcar, it will be a good thing.   

That said, I'm curious what type of development would be interested considering how little was done with the "pork chop" blocks north of the arena, and the block catty-corner to this site.   There are so many entire blocks open, it is hard to know the path to getting them developed.  

My fear would be for Preferred Parking or Levine Properties buying the block and we end up with it back on the tax rolls, but nothing actually going in. 

7 minutes ago, dubone said:

In theory, the block now opened for private development in First Ward next to the Hyatt Place/arena at Trade and Caldwell would be discussed here.   

I am very much in favor of the plan because it will help liven up East Trade where government buildings and courthouses leave the area very quiet after hours.   If it can draw the energy of the arena east along the streetcar, it will be a good thing.   

That said, I'm curious what type of development would be interested considering how little was done with the "pork chop" blocks north of the arena, and the block catty-corner to this site.   There are so many entire blocks open, it is hard to know the path to getting them developed.  

My fear would be for Preferred Parking or Levine Properties buying the block and we end up with it back on the tax rolls, but nothing actually going in. 

I think in the Observer it mentioned that it will probably be mixed use mid rise with construction starting rather soon (soon as in a couple years). I say if the city chooses a private developer to build the entire block, I'd like to see the block split in two with multiple midrises and maybe create a temporary park for future highrise.

As much as I dislike the AT&T building, they could easily do some pretty benign things to make it a more appealing building. The architectural details are actually pretty nice and are something that current developers have no concept how to do. All that really needs to happen is give the building a fresh coat of paint (along the trim), pressure wash the brick, and replace the boarded up windows with normal windows. They can add the bars and security features on the inside and put fake lights in there so it looks like it's a more active building. On the 5th Street side, slap a giant Hornets logo on it (the side-view one, preferably) or paint a mural. I think that given the vast amount of blank wall-space in this city, there should really be a lot more murals. Another option could be a vintage-style Coca-Cola, Pepsi, or Cheerwine advertisement (or whatever).

• Like 4

Is it just me or are those better renderings than we tend to see for things like these?

When I see the first example of being well implemented, then I will have faith. But as far as hope goes, it seems like everything CCCP is saying is right on the nose. Couldn't be more headed in the right direction.

And honestly, N Tryon has even better potential than S Tryon in my book. The bones are great.

Reminds me of Blake Street around the ballpark in Denver.  Very cool but remove the cars. 

Two questions:

What meeting and where can I read about a new library. What would go where the current one is? 

Can someone handicap the odds of even 50% of this happening this decade?

1 minute ago, elrodvt said:

Reminds me of Blake Street around the ballpark in Denver.  Very cool but remove the cars. 

Two questions:

What meeting and where can I read about a new library. What would go where the current one is? 

Can someone handicap the odds of even 50% of this happening this decade?

50% will definitely happen this decade. There was a n Tryon vision meeting tonight. No real info on the library yet but they're gonna rework the current site. 

• Like 1