Pittsburgh's Baseball Pride

PghUSA

PITTSBURGHS 2004 WORLD SERIES

Besides Bonds and Bonilla playing critical roles in previous World Series (as well as Ken Griffey Sr. and Stan Musial both from Pittsburgh, and then theres always that fact that Babe Ruth had his 3 home run game as a Pirate and retired as a pirate but thats for another day) an interesting article on how many current World Series members earned their stripes in the 'burgh first.

The 2004 Series has former Pirates:

Cardinals who were former Pirates:

Reggie Sanders OF

Jeff Suppan P

Julian Tavarez P

Al Reyes P

BoSox who were former Pirates:

Pokey Reese SS

Tim Wakefield P

Bronson Arroyo P

Tony Womack 2nd

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Besides Bonds and Bonilla playing critical roles in previous World Series (as well as Ken Griffey Sr. and Stan Musial both from Pittsburgh, and then theres always that fact that Babe Ruth had his 3 home run game as a Pirate and retired as a pirate but thats for another day)

Bonds played in the World Series as a Giant - when was Bobby Bo in a WS?

Isn't Griffey Sr. from Cincinnati?

The Babe was a Brave when he smacked his farewell 3 homer game at Forbes, wasn't he?

Bonds played as a Giant but his 'farmteam" was the Pirates lol

Bonilla earned a ring with the 1997 Marlins along with another former Pirate Jim Leyland

The Griffeys are from Donora, PA . . . Stan Musial who is also from Donora remembers playing with and against Griffey Sr's dad in the sandlots looking over the monongahela! Griffey Sr. born raised and HS all in Donora, ken jr. was born and lived there in childhood.

Babe Ruth was a Boston Brave at the start of that day but had a running fued with management of the team as they wanted him to be a "bearded lady" for ticket sales, so the Babe wanting to be remembered as the best and not some circus sideshow waited for the next road trip --to Pittsburgh no less, if I remember correctly those were the first out of the park homers hit in Forbes Field, he hit 3 for the first time in baseball history and then rounding the bases on his 3 homer retired to the Pirates clubhouse! and watched the rest of the game sitting between the black and the gold! Never walked back on a ballfield as a player again. I think the babe didnt want to be remembered retiring as a Brave, he couldnt be remembered retireing as a Yankee, so a Pirate suited him fine! ;)

I kept thinking how many former Pirates participated in the post season. 

Add Jon Leiber and Esteban Loiza from the Yankees

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Best farm team in America lol thats our Pittsburgh Pirates . . . I believe there were a few more on the Yankees too.

Its not the same as our football legacy with the most head coaches and hall of famers from Pittsburgh or surrounding burghs (compared to other metros or states) but it is amazing how many players the Pirates train then have go on to stardom elsewhere.

I had trouble remembering Bobby Bo as a Marlin. I was more happy for Jimmy Leyland--who i hope gets the Phillies job--getting his world championship ring. If the Bucs ever get an owner with deep pockets, maybe they can keep some of their better players (don't hold your breath).

I'll tell ya, PghUSA - you're like the "Pittsburgh version" of the Simpsons' Jebediah Springfield historian. :D

DTJ,

dont watch the simpsons much lol, too busy reading: http://digital.library.pitt.edu/chronology/

IM A CIVICS GEEK what can I say

Hope this jebediah dude is admired in springfield (or was this a veiled geek comment lol) . . . I am certain hes pimping all the chicks and driving european sports cars right lol

Archived