Will Charlotte ever get a SuperTarget?

DigitalSky

SuperTarget = the happiest place on earth (not Disneyworld).

After visiting the SuperTarget store in Raleigh, i've concluded that Charlotte definately needs one. The triangle area has 4 super targets and a greatland target store too. The Triangle area seems to be in a Target boom, with a new one (regular) just opening at North Hills Mall. The Charlotte AREA has a super target, but thats 30 miles north in Moresville.

With the announcement that Target will be joining the Midtown Square project, isn't it about high time that Charlotte get a SuperTarget??

thoughts :)?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gosh, I sure hope not.

I know most of the Targets in Charlotte have been reorg'ed a bit to have more food aisles, but a fully-stocked grocery store is, in my opinion, excessive and unnecessary.

Target is the higher quality general store. The people who want to shop at a higher quality general store, want to shop at a high quality grocery store.

Walmart is the lowest price general store. The people who want to shop at the lowest quality general store, want to shop at a lowest price grocery store.

Super-Walmart competes with Food Lion and Bi Lo on being the lowest price, and wins hands down. While a super-Target competes with Harris Teeter and a few others, and wins on price but not quality, which is what draws people to Target over Walmart.

Super walmart is putting grocery stores out of business and causing Food Lion to look at revamping their whole business model (see other thread). Harris Teeter has this market completely covered with stores, and is building fast in the new sprawly areas to prevent super-Target from taking their customers.

I'm fairly certain that it is inevitable. But i sure hope not.

I shop at Target, but I would not shop at a super-Target. My parents used to live near a superTarget and it was just too dang big. What is the point of one stop shopping if you have to walk 10 miles to find what you need in the store?

I'm with dubone, I'm not sure I'd shop at a Super Target. I like my grocery store to be separate from my general store. I despise Wal-Mart for several reasons, too many to count on both my fingers and toes. I love shopping at Target as it does seem higher quality than Wal-Mart and K-Mart (for sure). I will admit myself to just switching grocery stores from Harris Teeter to Lowes Foods. I spend a little over $3 the other day at Lowes Foods and had I went to Harris Teeter for the same thing I would have probably spend $8 or $9. Most of us was produce, and it was fresher than Harris Teeter. Amazing! Back to Target, I'm certain it's in Charlotte's future. But I can choose not to shop there and go to the regular ones.

• 1 year later...

I'm with dubone, I'm not sure I'd shop at a Super Target. I like my grocery store to be separate from my general store. I despise Wal-Mart for several reasons, too many to count on both my fingers and toes. I love shopping at Target as it does seem higher quality than Wal-Mart and K-Mart (for sure). I will admit myself to just switching grocery stores from Harris Teeter to Lowes Foods. I spend a little over $3 the other day at Lowes Foods and had I went to Harris Teeter for the same thing I would have probably spend $8 or $9. Most of us was produce, and it was fresher than Harris Teeter. Amazing! Back to Target, I'm certain it's in Charlotte's future. But I can choose not to shop there and go to the regular ones.

Technically, the first Super Target (I think) is set to open in Charlotte way down near Steele Creek on Hwy 49 and Rt. 160. At the very southern tip of Mecklenburg County. Next to the Home Depot and a Best Buy on the way as well.

^I'm all for that. But I was a little let down by my first Trader Joe's visit over the Thanksgiving weekend this past year. I went to one of the TJ's in Berkeley CA and expected to be blown away by the variety, but it was kinda small and limited. I'm sure they're not all that way, this one looked to be an older store in a strip mall. There's a newer and larger store in Emeryville just south of Berkeley that I didn't go into. I'm sure that had a better selection.

Technically, the first Super Target (I think) is set to open in Charlotte way down near Steele Creek on Hwy 49 and Rt. 160. At the very southern tip of Mecklenburg County. Next to the Home Depot and a Best Buy on the way as well.

Right. It's supposed to open this spring/summer. Sometime in May/June? My best friend lives near Lake Wylie. Sometimes I go with her to HT and she gets so excited every time we drive by Super Target. There's another building being constructed near the SP/HD complex. I suppose it's yet another Petro Express.

OT Question: Is Petro Express locally owned?

Riverbend, Whole Foods is opening this year.

That area has made quite a comeback over the last 25 years. It used to be seedy, run down, and a place where people went to buy their drugs. There used to be a huge French Art XXX peep show movie house in that neighborhood if you can imagine that.

Earth Foods will be a nice fit for the area.

Earth Fare is coming to Grubb Morrison Place.

Whole Foods is coming to Grubb Elizabeth Ave.

If they merge to be Earth Foods, we heard it on UP first :).

I'm excited about Whole Foods coming to Elizabeth, but it is a little bit of a shame to some of our local stores like Reid's, Home Economist Market, Talley's, or even Fresh Market (based in Greensboro) haven't stepped up to be as important as Earth Fare and Whole Foods in the marketplace.

I hope the the namebrand Whole Foods doesn't jeopardize the standing of those other stores.

I guess to make an on topic comment, consistent with what I posted earlier, I really hope that Charlotte doesn't get a SuperTarget. I will be extremely worried if the Midtown Target becomes a SuperTarget.

If they merge to be Earth Foods, we heard it on UP first :).

As dubbed my Metro.M :)

I guess to make an on topic comment, consistent with what I posted earlier, I really hope that Charlotte doesn't get a SuperTarget. I will be extremely worried if the Midtown Target becomes a SuperTarget.

Midtown won't be a SuperTarget. I promise. The only SuperTargets in Charlotte announced will be Northlake and Hwy 49 near Lake Wylie. The third Charlotte possibility would be in Mint Hill...

Archived