Will Charlotte ever get a SuperTarget?

DigitalSky

Petro Petey scares me. But if he became the UP mascot, I would SO sport a Petey hat to support the cause...

I'm excited about Whole Foods coming to Elizabeth, but it is a little bit of a shame to some of our local stores like Reid's, Home Economist Market, Talley's, or even Fresh Market (based in Greensboro) haven't stepped up to be as important as Earth Fare and Whole Foods in the marketplace.

Fresh Market is doing great. They're everywhere in the SE. I know there's 3 or 4 in Atlanta alone. My in-laws shop at the one in Tallahassee. They love it and so does everyone they know. Fresh Market is very popular outside the Carolinas. Of course, Fresh Market is very different from Whole Foods since they focus more on gourmet items.

IMO, Home Economist and Talley's prefer to be local. Not everyone ants to be Whole Paycheck or Trader Joe's. That's okay.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. I shop at both Fresh Market and Earth Fare. FM definitely focuses on gourmet/specialty items, and does a great job servicing that niche. EF is more of an alternative to the mainstream Harris Teeter, et al. It's good for doing weekly shopping, but if you want a more hoity-toity item that you probably won't find most places in the city, Fresh Market is a good place to stop. Plus, they carry Peete's coffee, which we all know is second to none... But, I like Earth Fare because they carry an abundance of vegetarian foods; a much broader selection than you'll find in the freezer-burnt cases at Home Economist. The best part of Home Economist is that they carry Tofurky Jerky, which Earth Fare has discontinued. Maybe Whole Foods will be the best of all these worlds. I can dream, can't I?

I've gotta admit, I do enjoy Tofurkey.

That's just wrong. :sick:

Back on <ahem> target, do we really need another giant hypermart? I'd be fine never shopping in one. I prefer to buy a TV from a electronics store and Amy's frozen entrees from a grocery store. Of course, that's just me. I guess there are lots of (strange) people who actually like to buy a car battery and Boston Bibb lettuce at the same time.

Archived