questions about dubai and financial center

srname

Hey guys,

I just came across this website while researching the new dubai financial district. I'm considering moving to dubai in the near future. I'm a portfolio manager and my wife is an arab and she always talks about living in dubai. So allow me to ask some of you guys who live there,

What does it take legally to live there?

Will I be able to find a residential place close to the new financial district?

How is the life for american professionals?

Are they as racist to Americans as we are to the Arabs here in America?

Are there alot of private investment management firms with Wallstreet experience?

Will I have to jump through hoops to start a business?

These are just a few of the many questions I have...Look forward to hearing from you guys.

Cheers

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am an American attorney, and I have recently purchased a home in Dubai in anticipation of moving there in the future. Dubai is a wonderful city, especially if you are a Muslim yet want the faciltiies to match those of America.

To live there legally you must get a via, either by owning a business there, thorugh your employer, or by purchasing a property.

The Burj Residences currently on sale will be near to the Financial District proposed.

I have never worked in Dubai yet, so cannot comment on how atmosphere is for American professionals. But there are many foreigners there working.

You probably will not associate much with Arabs, as the customer service in all the stores and restaurants are usually foreigners. THe customer service there is excellent.

To start a business is challenging because it is so different from here. There are free zones, like DUbai Internet City, Media City, etcc. where they help you start your business. Or you have to partner with a UAE national that holds a 51% stake in your company. There are businesses that will match you with a national, who only wants a fee and not an actual partnership - but that to me is still strange and unpredictable.

Hope this helps

Are there alot of private investment management firms with Wallstreet experience?

Will I have to jump through hoops to start a business?

These are just a few of the many questions I have...Look forward to hearing from you guys.

Cheers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've heard great things about Dubai, is the government there a democracy or a constitutional monarchy like england? Always wondered about that it seems alot like Singapore did a generation ago, with its massive buildup and business friendly environment, but alas Singapore was not a bastion of civil rights and it could be scary if you weren't in lock step with the leadership.

Archived