A new museum for Springfield?

bobliocatt

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe its time for the city to look at restoring the park space along Hogan's Creek, that separates Springfield from downtown. As large as it is, it could become one of the premier public spaces in town and help stimulate private development away from the river. Also adding cultural destinations, such as museums along this public "mall type" park, would only add to the experience.

Actually Springfield has at least 2 dance/music/theatre venues. The converted Firestone Tires building at 9th and Main has a rear theatre that seats about 100 people and BoomTown on Main St between 7th and 8th streets has a small venue for these types of events. On a side note, 9th and Main has a great restuarant called Henrietta's. And considering that 2 years ago no one would go to Springfield it does a huge lunch business and is open for dinner most of the week. It's a great place, especially since it was an old tire store. If you can't tell I live in Springfield and I think it may have been the best move I have made in my life.

Welcome to the forum Whitey.

I have eaten at Henrietta's and I definitely recommend it. It's great to see restaurant establishments starting to get a foothold in Springfield.

I have also eaten at Boomtown twice. I must say, I don't understand why this place doesn't pack them in. The food was outstanding each time I went. You will NOT leave that place hungry either, that's for certain. The presentation is excellent as well. The service was quite good, which isn't difficult with just a few customers. On top of all that, the menu is priced very competitively. Very comparable to an Applebee's on price, but the food is much higher quality.

I really wish Jax and Springfield in particular would patronize this place, it would be a shame to lose it. The atmosphere is definitely different, and more than a little bohemian, but that adds to the charm in my book. My next trip down, I will definitely stop in again.

A little off-topic, but I wish the city would run some transit up Main Street. There used to be streetcars "back in the day", but perhaps the Skyway could go up there. I think a connection to the Skyway system could benefit Springfield, and it would help people cross the psychological barrier that is State/Union.

^I've also have considered that as well. The line could extend from FCCJ and curve over to Main Street, near the Waterworks area. However, it would probably be best to lower it to street level along Main and terminate it around 6th of 7th Street. Then maybe all of the vacant and underutilized car lots fronting Main could be used for transit oriented infill development.

Archived