Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bobliocatt

New tallest tower proposed for St. Petersburg

16 posts in this topic

skyline3.jpg

City discusses new Tropicana block project

Developers want to create a set of tall towers for hotels, condos, parking and shops.

By SHARON L. BOND, Times Staff Writer

Published October 27, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ST. PETERSBURG - Developers of the Tropicana block are proposing a $200-million project that would create downtown's tallest building and bring in a Westin hotel.

The project between Central and First avenues N and First and Second streets would include two towers, one of them 42 stories high reaching 435 feet into the air. The development would feature 200 to 250 condominiums, retail and commercial space, parking and a hotel with 150 to 250 rooms.

It is the latest effort at downtown redevelopment, where half a dozen projects have been finished in the past few years, most of them condominium towers, and a half dozen or so are on the drawing boards.

Developers Jimmy Aviram and Tibor Hollo, who paid $4-million for the Tropicana site in 2001, met with city officials Tuesday to discuss the details of their project. It still must be reviewed and approved by city officials and the Federal Aviation Administration because the Albert Whitted Airport is nearby.

Aviram, a St. Petersburg developer, has a financial interest in what is currently downtown's tallest structure at 386 feet, the Bank of America building.

Hollo, a developer from Miami, said he has an agreement with Westin to manage the hotel that would be located in the smaller, 32-story tower along with some commercial space.

"It will be a four-star hotel," Hollo said.

Condominiums ranging in price from $325,000 to at least $500,000 would be built in the tallest tower.

The two towers would sit on a seven-story base that would hold retail and commercial space on the ground floor and part of the second and then five levels with 814 parking spaces.

Hollo said the retail shops in the complex would be an extension of BayWalk, downtown's retail and entertainment complex that sits nearby. However, he said retailers in the new complex probably would be "higher standard stores." He would not name any with whom he is negotiating.

Aviram said he had been meeting with the city for 11/2 months about the design for the complex. Originally it was planned as Mediterranean Revival style, of which there are a number of buildings in St. Petersburg.

But "the city wants it more contemporary," Aviram said.

The developers are trying to submit their plans by 5 p.m. Thursday, after which impact fees will be charged against the project. Projects built downtown do not have to pay fees for the traffic they create. The ordinance "no-fee" zone expires this week.

"We will save between $600,000 to $700,000," said Aviram, who last week announced a joint project with the St. Petersburg Arts Center that would include arts venues and condominiums on Central Avenue at Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Street.

At least five or six more residential or mixed-use projects are planned for downtown and areas to the near west.

Among them is developer Grady Pridgen's Bayway Lofts. Last year, Pridgen announced a 510-foot condominium tower, but scaled back the plans to 371 feet after the initial height drew protests. The $100-million project has not started yet.

Parkshore Plaza, now under construction, also is a $100-million project with street-level retail space and 120 condominiums and lofts, the most expensive of which are in a 29-story tower.

And Progress Energy Corp. is planning a new office tower and luxury hotel on the block where Florida International Museum now sits.

Good to see more development in St. Pete.

I think it's got a lot of potential

It is good to see St Pete really establishing their own image. It seems that Tampa usually dominates the area and almost swallows up St Pete. Tey really need the development!

It is nice, but not at all unusual.

Minneapolis dominates St. paul

Dallas over Ft. Worth

San Fran over San Jose and Oakland

Seattle over Tacoma

Kansas City over...well, Kansas City... :P

I know but it would be neat to see St Pete break away and develop something on the other side of the bay.

Don't feel bad for St. Petersburg. It has quitely beome one of Florida's most vibrant downtowns with a killer waterfront location and an equal mix of residential, office & commercial uses.

In terms of development and vibrancy, downtown St. Petersburg is light years ahead of downtown Tampa.

I am not neccessarily feeling soory for them. I just want them to be viewed by the public as a separate city than the greater Tampa area. That's all.

St. Pete is fantastic. My in-laws have lived there for years -- although they're about to move. We've really enjoyed visiting. Lots of awesome urban renewal going on like you mentioned. It's an exciting place to be, much like Columbia, SC (where I live). I believe both cities recently topped the livability index, which is a great sign things to come!

very cool for Pinellas county!

It is nice, but not at all unusual.

Minneapolis dominates St. paul

Dallas over Ft. Worth

San Fran over San Jose and Oakland

Seattle over Tacoma

Kansas City over...well, Kansas City... :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And Tampa rules and sits over St. Petersburg!

FLORIDA SKYRISE

It's about time St. Petersburg got something going and piercing into the skies within its skyline. I am sick of seeing that pewtrid Bank of America building with the clock on it as St. Pete's tallest. It's a good looking building, but it looks like it should be sitting in the Black Forest in Bavaria, Germany.

St. Petersburg is the fourth largest city in population in Florida, but let's face it, it's downtown and skyscrapers do not fit the bill for a city of 265,000 people.

FLORIDA SKYRISE

very cool for Pinellas county!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Reminds me of that bird in Charlie Brown's peanuts cartoon; or the clickable smilies that are available for selection in chats, messengers, etc.

FLORIDA SKYRISE

As a former St. Petersburg resident, I am very happy to see this new development. As has been mentioned, the skyline and downtown should be much better for a city of it's size. It's amazing to see the growth downtown and the progress made in the last 10 years.

The city does have a poor skyline for its size. However, there's a lot planned, so it should improve fairly quickly in the next 2 or 3 years.

Yeah. If all of the proposed skyscrapers are built, we'll have a nice looking skyline.

I'm looking forward to seeing a rendering of this new project. It's such a prime location in the main center of activity. As long as the market stays strong, it should do quite well in sales.

St. Pete in general desperately needs more hotel rooms, particularly in DT and Gateway. With the museums, sporting facilities and a growing university and research center, it's pretty sad that there are only two major hotels in downtown. This proposed hotel as well as the new Westin Bohemian should begin to address that issue.

Yea my hometown lacks hi-rises that would be cool if the buildings on this graph or whatever you want to call it was built