Honolulu ranks No. 1 as a livable community

Honolulu ranks No. 1 as a livable community

Honolulu was awarded top billing -- the first-place Gold Award in its category -- for the 2004 International Awards for Liveable Communities.

The 11th largest city in the nation was chosen from among 48 communities invited to participate in the competition for the most livable, sustainable city, for which entries came from Seattle to Prague, Czech Republic; the City of Westminster, England; the City of Tshwane, South Africa; and Camden, Australia.

"This award is the result of a long-term effort to make Honolulu the greatest city in the world," said Mayor Jeremy Harris. "It's gratifying to know that in the eyes of the global community our city is viewed as the leader in protecting the environment, preserving cultural and historical resources, and empowering citizens to be involved in shaping the future ... . This is unquestionably the highest honor our city could have."

Among the initiatives submitted in the awards application were the improvements to Hanauma Bay facilities and the establishment of world-class athletic facilities at Waipio Peninsula and Central Oahu.

In the area of land use management, Honolulu was commended for curtailing sprawl by establishing urban growth boundaries and directing growth to Oahu's urban core.

LivCom also recognized Honolulu for encouraging citizen involvement in land use, neighborhood restoration, and transportation planning processes.

The city received high marks for initiatives such as the "Sunset on the Beach" and "Brunch on the Beach" events for developing community pride and boosting economic activity.

A panel of international judges presented the mayor with the coveted 1st place Gold Award in Canada last week. The City of Schwane came in second and the city of Westminster came in third.

The awards program, established in 1997, is endorsed by the United Nations Environmental Program and was formerly called "Nations in Bloom."

:P

• 1 month later...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, but in a more recent survey conducted by MercerHR, very liberal (so they favor liberal cities, like Honolulu) Honolulu and Houston were tied for the 41st most liveable world city, the highest ranking American city. First place was quandered away to Oslo.

• 1 month later...

Wow, this is really interesting, although no surprise from everything I have read. I have not yet been fortunate enough to be able to take a trip to Honolulu, but it is VERY high on my list.

I am very curious about a few things- I have read about the high cost of living, high housing costs in Hawaii.... how bad is it really for an "average Joe" there- I mean, is it tough to pay the bills every month, to even think about actually buying a house or condo on a lower-middle class or middle class income? I am sooo interested to know about everyday life/living in Honolulu.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this is really interesting, although no surprise from everything I have read.  I have not yet been fortunate enough to be able to take a trip to Honolulu, but it is VERY high on my list.

I am very curious about a few things- I have read about the high cost of living, high housing costs in Hawaii.... how bad is it really for an "average Joe" there- I mean, is it tough to pay the bills every month, to even think about actually buying a house or condo on a lower-middle class or middle class income?  I am sooo interested to know about everyday life/living in Honolulu.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

as i understand the median house in hawaii is $700k

im not sure what the gas price in honolulu is but its less then where i live.

i live on the big island.. gas here is 2.62 a gallon for regular(87)

it costs me +$50 to fill up my f150 :cry:

which is sometimes necessary 2 times a week :cry:

that should give you a good idea

• 2 weeks later...

Archived