College Students on UrbanPlanet

M. Brown

I just thought I'd start the successor to the high schoolers on urbanplanet thread.

Well I guess you can say what college you at your major and what you plan to do in the future.

I am going to NHCTC Manchester aka New Hampshire Community Technical College at Manchester. I am going to be tranfering to a University eventually. It will be awesome cuz I could go to a different city which means that I can take pics of another city. I am in Liberal Arts but that is soon to change to Computer Science. I plan to do computer work or engineering work for a job once I graduate.

Have Fun on this thread :)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a freshman at Lawrence Tech University majoring in architecture. After four years of working on my bachelors degree, I get to go to grad school for two more years so I can get my masters degree. I have not decided where I am going to grad school yet though...I need to make it through here first! And somewhere in that six year timeframe I need to fit in three years of internship. Welcome to the long path in becoming a licensed architect! It's tough, but it'll be worth it in the end.

I graduated college before I began posting on urban issues sites. Graduated in December 2003 with a bachelor degree in business admin/Finance.

I don't particularly care too much for that field anymore. Just lost interest. High finance is also partly responsible for garbage architecture and throw-away buildings...thanks to the tenet of finance that dictates a dollar in hand today is worth more than a dollar in hand tomorrow. This discourages investment in durable and quality architecture because recovering the cost on such an endeavor takes more time than when you just erect some crappy eye-sore.

May go into urban planning or try to hitch a job in real estate and then aspire to build new-urbanist like infill.

Allan 6 to 10 hours is FOREVER dude.  I couldnt last that man.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know. That's what architecture school is though. The studio classes can be brutal, and I have two of those. Next year the professors will start assigning massive projects that are due the next day. The purpose of this is to force the students to pull an all nighter. This weeds out the good students from the bad. About 25% of the architecture school drops out after the first year. Less than 50% will actually get their bachelor's degree, and only about 5% will complete their masters, which you must have to become a licensed architect.

I couldn't do that either Allan. That is beyond brutal. Kind of like medical school forcing interns to work 80+ hours a week. Math school is nice and easy. Almost no homework, 2 tests per class per semester, time for jobs... I had a cushy life.

My brother is applying to architect school at Kansas State this year. I might have to pass this info along to him.

Beyond brutal? LOL. It isn't that bad. It's not difficult, just time consuming. I once spent 50 hours in a week working on a series of 26 ink drawings for one class. That's a full time job there, not to mention the time I spent in class and doing homework for my other studio class. That is not typical, fortunately. This past week I have done almost no homework...there is a lull in my studio classes where we aren't really doing anything.

My two studio classes are what I spend 95% of my homework time working on. My math, english, etc. have like no homework.

I guess that's what I get for going to a difficult school and taking the most difficult professors. LOL. Architecture school is the most difficult thing I've ever done, but it is also very fun. I doubt I would enjoy doing anything else.

I guess that's what I get for going to a difficult school and taking the most difficult professors.  LOL.  Architecture school is the most difficult thing I've ever done, but it is also very fun.  I doubt I would enjoy doing anything else.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have to do what you love. I'm sure you are good at it, also. I got involved with this forum because of a link on your Sim City webpage. I remember looking at your cities thinking, "This guy MUST be a city planner." I wasn't far off! :)

Archived