College Students on UrbanPlanet

M. Brown

What kinda jobs do you college students have?  Im currently a cook at pizza hut making $7 a hour.  I cant stand it but Its great to have your own money than to borrow from your parents which I still do anyways :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

again .. I am a grad student, but I am a research assistant for a policy center. I think that I will also try to get a TA position .. I think that I want to be a professor one day so I am trying to get as much research/teaching experience as possible.

While in undergrad I worked as a office assistant for the aerospace/mechnical engineering department. I was basically the copy girl .. but it was cool to see the resumes of the profs there as well as their research.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just out of curiosity, what is there for you to research? I've often wondered what mathematicians do regarding that. Do you have on od those wall sized chalkboards filled up with one of those massive multiline equations on it?  :rolleyes:;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, I made my own wall-sized chalk board from 2 4'x6' 1/4" pieces of oak, sanding them down, and applying about 5 coats of chalkboard paint. While it is not filled up with multiline equations, I do have it filled up with some interesting infinite classes of sine and cosine whose angles (solutions) satisfy the same minimum polynomials. Currently I'm looking into a curious polynomial expansion of the tangent of angles divided by a power of 2. I've published three papers on the subject which can be googled under "Sines, Cosines, and Conjugates." I'm also still looking at a way to generate three-dimensional images using fractals. This has kind of taken a back seat to the tangents though, as the fractals would require me to get a much more powerful computer to handle the additional operations. (If Urban Planet would care to foot the bill it would be privy to any profit or patent :) ) I currently only need a few more classes and then a semester of dissertation for my doctorate. Then I'll be Dr. Mathnerd! :)

I find it more than a little weird that you've often wondered what mathematicians research. SpartanNerd! :)

I'm not sure really. It is still a year and a half off, so I have some time to think it over. As an undergrad I minored in economics and I've been debating taking an extra semester to get an undergrad urban economics degree. It would not cost me anything except for 6 months out of my life, so we'll see. Ultimately I would like t be a professor, but I would like to do something else for a few years. Research and Development, maybe. Who knows. The job market is awful right now anyway, so I'm hoping it will pick back up soon. :)

Well, I am almost finished with my architectural model, which is due in 2.5 hours. I just need to glue the tower and the trees. I had to pull an all-nighter, but it is almost done. :)

I have another project that I need to do tonight...I am hoping that I won't be up all night again!

A girl who likes architecture, wants to be a professor, and wants to learn to belly dance, and lives in Chicago, my favorite city? Will you marry me, Josita?  :wub:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:blush: that's sweat .. but I'm married .. thanks for the offer though! I'll keep you in mind if this whole marriage thing doesn't work out :lol::lol:

I'm still debating on which degree to pursue when I finally do get a PhD. I was thinking of finally doing the whole architecture degree, finally ... are there good PhD programs in architecture/urban planning? or are they mainly master degrees .. I have no idea.

I'm ot sure about PhD.'s in architecture, but there are programs for doctorate's in urban economics and economic development. I haven't heard of an actual program for city planning. I thought that was something you got into after you got a civil/urban engineering/architectural/economics degree. Is that true?

And Chicago has a great econ department. :) Kansas State is good for architecture.

I haven't heard of an actual program for city planning. I thought that was something you got into after you got a civil/urban engineering/architectural/economics degree. Is that true?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are actually many programs for Ciy/Urban/regional Planning. For a while I was considering going to grad school at GaTech to get a masters in this. It is my understanding that Georgia Tech is one of the top schools in the nation for city planning.

Josita- I also understand that UIC has a decent program. Is has both a Masters and PhD program.

There are more masters than doctorates, but they do exist. You can have a wide varitey of degress as a prerequisite, but different schools have different requirements. I think that these grad schools like Urban Planning and Geography the most, but its not restricted to that.

Here is a list of of accredited planning universities:

http://showcase.netins.net/web/pab_fi66/ac...st0203.mswd.pdf

UIC Urban Planning

http://www.uic.edu/cuppa/upp/academic/academic-1.htm

You can also check out the Planning Accreditation Board's website:

http://www.acsp.org/pab.html

College: University of Georgia at Athens

Major: Historic Preservation

I've liked old houses and buildings since I was a young kid growing up in Alabama. I want a career saving historic structures in Western North Carolina.

I was talking to friends from rural Georgia and South Carolina and the topic of what happens after college was discussed. Those of us who want to stay in our small towns/cities will have to move to find good paying jobs. In Asheville-Hendersonville it's hard to find a good job in any field. Most of the good available jobs are in Health Care at the region's two largest hospitals or in retail. I tried to find a summer job and didn't get anywhere. I need a medical degree or I need to plan where I'm moving to. I don't want to leave my friends and my mom and sister. All the people I love live here, it will be hard to leave this place. I will admit to looking at the urban living options posted on these forums in places like Atlanta, Charlotte and Winston-Salem. Over the summer I went house hunting in Atlanta Charlotte, Winston-Salem and Chattanooga and I would like to look at what neighboring Greenville has to offer. My #1 goal is to stay in Asheville-Hendersonville after college, but if I have to move I will know what my favorite cities have to offer. I want to live in an older neighborhood and/or in the middle of the CBD.

LOL. I'd like to make a page from my logic textbook into one of those. That class is so pointless. The university is making me waste my life in that class because they think that I need a full year of math. It's funny because next semester when I take my final math class, I will be doing the same stuff that I did in the first semester of my senior year of high school.

I always thought that architecture required alot of math- geometry and such. Stuff that will let you know if you have too much weight for your support columns and load bearing walls etc?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to know the basics, but not much more than that. Architecture firms send off the plans to engineering firms to figure out the tough calculations. I need to take calculus (which I plan on testing out of, since I took it in high school). I do have to take 1 semester of physics, 2 semesters of building systems, and 4 semesters of structures though.

Archived