College Students on UrbanPlanet

M. Brown

Graduated from TX State University in 2002 with a BS in geography (GIS concentration). As for planning programs, according to my friends who were in planning as undergrads UIC was THE place for post grad studies, but I also like the program at Portland State University http://www.upa.pdx.edu/ ... actually I like most of the programs at that school.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to know the basics, but not much more than that.  Architecture firms send off the plans to engineering firms to figure out the tough calculations.  I need to take calculus (which I plan on testing out of, since I took it in high school).  I do have to take 1 semester of physics, 2 semesters of building systems, and 4 semesters of structures though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would advise suffering through the two semesters in college, as high school calculus does not cover everything that college covers. However, you probably won't need it, so don't heed my academic advice. :)

I would advise suffering through the two semesters in college, as high school calculus does not cover everything that college covers. However, you probably won't need it, so don't heed my academic advice. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My advisor told me that I don't need it, and if I took it that would set me behind. I've got 6 years of school, and I don't want to be getting behind in my freshman year! This is the 5th largest architecture school in the country, so I'm sure they know what I need and don't need to take very well. In fact, they pretty much have the next 4 years mapped out for me. There is not much opportunity for elective courses until my junior year.

Im falling behind. Im only at NH tech and im falling behind. Its because In High School I didnt do any hw at all and I never studied and I still managed to get by with bs and cs. In college I still havent broken that habit. I might have to take a class or two over because im too far behind. Too much tv and games and mostly the forums unfortunately :( Next semester I will have a MUCH better understanding of what college is all about. I just have to get used to it. And i guess my financial aid is depended on me passing my classes but idk. Fortunately NH tech is a cheap college.

Im falling behind.  Im only at NH tech and im falling behind.  Its because In High School I didnt do any hw at all and I never studied and I still managed to get by with bs and cs.  In college I still havent broken that habit.  I might have to take a class or two over because im too far behind.  Too much tv and  games and mostly the forums unfortunately :(  Next semester I will have a MUCH better understanding of what college is all about.  I just have to get used to it.  And i guess my financial aid is depended on me passing my classes but idk.  Fortunately NH tech is a cheap college.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unfortunately I had the very same problem. I thought I was too good to study because I never did in HS and I graduated with honors. After three semesters of 2.x GPAs I decided that I should get over it and study.

I'm pretty sure you need as masters to do much of anything in the urban planning field. Architecture is the same way. With architecture, if you don't have a masters you typically end up sitting around and putting others' drawings into AutoCAD all day.

I think I want to go into law enforcement.  Whats better City Police, County Sherrif, or State Trooper?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't really know. It all depends on what types of work you want to do and what size of department you work for. State Troopers likely deal more with things like patroling the interstates and state maintained roads. City police probably deal more with things like domestic disputes. My guess would be that State Troopers have the most job security; however I could be wrong. All of this is pure speculation...hopefully another forumer knows more....

Archived