Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PghUSA

Louisville Consolidation discussed . . .

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04275/388541.stm

A unique perspective from the longest serving mayor in Louisville history on the "unity" of the county and city and how this time (the 4th time) the measure actually passed with promise of a new economic birth and retaining more of the young workers who seek simplicty and streamlined services/taxes etc. The mayor has been asked to speak by several cities mulling consolidation like Cleveland and Buffalo.

Yes.

In the 2000 census and before the consolidation, Louisville's population was 256,231. Lexington's population was 260,512. I know it was lame, but Lexington was known as kentucky's biggest city before the consolidation, even though the louisville metro is much bigger. It's population is now around 530,000.

OK. I was thinking that Lexington was technically larger before the consolidation, because ciy-data.com lists 2000 census population figures and Lexington has a higher population on that site. I know that the consolidation gave Louisville a population of 700,000+, if memory serves me correct.

^You are correct on that. Maybe someone from Louisville will enlighten us on the updated figures???? Perhaps???