Elections Predictions

PghUSA

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

monsoon,

mia culpa on the sinking of ships . . . but my point was Germany was not in a position to attack us even with a declaration not like Ossama did at least, that still stands.

You are an excellent student of history but I as well am, and I think eventually you make history (much like a facts in a trial) work for you, thats why I look forward to these discussions because it makes you remember some facts (like Hilter did coax us as much as we him in WWII on my part) and your omission of some of the misadventures of Clintons warmachine in Somalia, Bosnia and Haiti., back into view that we might have misplaced.

My biggest question going into this election cycle though is would Truman not invade? Would FDR, would Kerry? Would they really not view what happend on 9/11 in a world view encompasing more then just Ossama? Maybe your right but I tend to think FDR, Truman maybe Kennedy would see it as a "world war". What really baffles me is theres lots of smoke from the opposition party today but where is Clinton condeming this evil war everyday? Why am I not seeing this? Where is Kerry coming out against the very idea of invasion? I mean is our alternative Iraq or Iraq lite?

But the justification for the war in Iraq comes not from a reason Bush or Kerry toss out. They both missed the boat on this one. And frankly, so have some of the supposedly more aware people on this forum. This was the hundreds of Al Qaeda linked terrorists in Iraq. This fact seems to be missed by everyone. Probably because Bush doesn't want to admit he missed the ball on them, and Kerry won't bring them up because anything that makes the Iraq war seem remotely justified is bad for his case against Bush.

But it is amazing how many people completely ignore this fact when considering the validity of the war in Iraq. They way we went about the war was completely wrong, without a doubt. But those troops are there, fighting the war on terror. Unforunately, our LEADERS (as in both them, Kerry included), let them down. I think failure to recongize this fact, probably due to political blinders, by most people is really disappointing.

Oh, and the ESPN is the first major network to declare a winner.  :D  President Elect Kerry reporting for duty.  Redskins lost at home to the Packers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wish I could always get my political news from a Redskins game . . . which candidate is promising that? Redskins vs. Cowboys with those cheerleaders and the guys from crossfire . . . now thats a platform that would win a landslide! :thumbsup:

but my point was Germany was not in a position to attack us even with a declaration not like Ossama did at least, that still stands.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

German U-boats landed troops on the east coast of the United States on several occassions, and at least one German U-boat was spotted in New York harbour. If you insist an enemy has to reach New York to be a declared threat, then there you have it.

Germany also put enormous pressure on Mexico to join the Axis and create an American front during the war.

Now stop being ignorant and admit you are wrong.

show me the building German U-boats brought down?

most of those missions were spying during or right before the war.

some sabatoge of military supplies . . . the FBI is raiding extremists safehouses today so the parallel is present today.

admit i was wrong ?!?. . . that:

QUOTE(PghUSA @ Nov 1 2004, 09:37 AM)

"but my point was Germany was not in a position to attack us even with a declaration not like Ossama did at least, that still stands."

Ossama did kill more American cilivians that day then ever before in our history right? when did ANY other nation kill even one American civilian in an attack before Ossama or did i dream this?

It's debatable how close Osama and Saddam were (as paulblackgsx points out there is some evidence) . . . but Kerry does not provide a clear contrast he votes to invade Iraq . . . again where is the opposition on this invasion?

Cotuit,

no games . . . you quoted me comparing Ossama to Germany thats all, and then you insisted I was wrong because I wouldn't concede German spies without weapons were just as bad as Al Queda taking over planes. I don't think many would concede that.

If you wanted me to admit I was wrong quote me comparing Saddam to Germany next time :thumbsup:

Ossama did kill more American cilivians that day then ever before in our history right?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, it was a terrible tragedy and your ridiculous arguements regarding WWII cheapens the loss.

when did ANY other nation kill even one American civilian in an attack before Ossama or did i dream this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Japan killed 54 American civilians at Pearl Harbor. Germany openly stated that US civilian ships in the North Atlantic were a target prior to our entry into the war.

Cotuit,

no games . . . you quoted me comparing Ossama to Germany thats all, and then you insisted I was wrong because I wouldn't concede German spies without weapons were just as bad as Al Queda taking over planes.  I don't think many would concede that.

If you wanted me to admit I was wrong quote me comparing Saddam to Germany next time :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So we should not have entered WWII because Hitler did not kill as many American civilians as Osama Bin Landen did? Do you have any idea how many civilians in Europe Hitler killed? Your arguements are making me physically ill.

Insert Saddam into your statement Cotuit . . . the modern day Hitler. Do you know how many cilivians Saddam killed in the middle east? These arguments are circular.

Cotuit if my statements are making you ill then that doesn't say much for the first amendment, my only point in these threads is to better understand my and your country, if your points are valid then try convincing me.

If you support Kerry can you explain to me why he would have voted for the war if it was wrong? At the time I was probably with you on WAITING saddam out and letting him shrivel up, how is Kerry a viable alternative to Bush if he votes for invasion?

If Kerry was elected I do see him improving the situation in Iraq but the net effect (5 years down the road) I don't see a lot of difference.

Yes, it was a terrible tragedy and your ridiculous arguements regarding WWII cheapens the loss.

Cotuit, how can I possibly cheapen the loss? Do you hear yourself? We are in a conflict and the only lessons that are gonna teach us the right way out is history, so to compare and contrast is somehow not allowed anymore?

Insert Saddam into your statement Cotuit . . . the modern day Hitler.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't continue to have an intelligent conversation with someone who makes that assertion. Read a history book.

Cotuit if my statements are making you ill i'm not proud of that, but if you support Kerry can you explain to me why he would have voted for the war if it was wrong?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Final point, he didn't vote for the war. He voted to give the President authority to go to war if all other options were exhausted.

So Saddam Hussein was an angel? Who would you compare Saddam to if not Hitler?

Kerry knew the power he was releasing to the White House . . . there were Democrats like Biden and others that made a stand. I can't fault Kerry totally on that, but I would like him to explain it well, the country at the time was at a fever pitch for war.

Kerry position was a change in stance, despite efforts by his party and supporters to say otherwise.

I recall a quote where Kerry that he would be the one standing up to the President if he did not ensure that Iraq was completely disarmed. He also stated he felt that Iraq was key to the war on terror.

This does not necessarily mean he was completely on Bush's side in regards to the war, but for someone who seems to be so against the war now, he didn't ask many questions before hand. Just like many of us would like to see Bush admit mistakse with the Iraq war, whether you feel it's justified or not, Kerry does not get a free pass for speaking out against it now. He should likewise, admit his own mistakes with not asking questions before hand.

Archived