Fox Theater Detroit

This is the first of many new postings I hope to add to this forum. I have been taking pictures all my life, but have been taking photos of Downtown Detroit ever since my work was relocated there last year. I have gotten to know the city more intimately than I ever imagined and find its history and architecture absolutely fascinating.

To start with, here are some photos of the stunningly beautiful Fox Theater located on Woodward Ave.

3.jpg

Here are some interesting facts taken directly from the Fox Theater website:

The glittering Fox Theatre, known for its unrivaled facilities, has been the catalyst for the revitalization of downtown Detroit. It took tremendous attention to detail and some good, old-fashioned elbow grease to make the Fox the crown jewel of Detroit

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Knowing that wall is owned by Illitch, it will probably be neglected. But on a happier note, very nice pics of the Fox Brother Ray. I really like that one of the stairwell. I had to look at it a few times to decide what exactly I was looking at before I read the caption.

Great pics! How on earth did I not see this thread until now?

I have been to several events at the Fox, but have never bothered to take photos inside.

Now if only we could get the Ilitches to fix up their other buildings downtown. How they could want to demolish the Madison Lenox is beyond me. And as for the Blenheim Apartments, Detroit Building, United Artists Building, Fine Arts Building/Adams Theater, and Hotel Vermont...if they actually fixed those up, the Park Avenue area would be a thriving district. I'm not going to get my hopes up though.

• 2 years later...

Please don't get me wrong, the pics you have posted are wonderful as well as the commentary!!! But as an organ enthusiast, your posting about the Fox Theater Organ is incorrect about it being the 2nd largest in the world. There are the San Filipio organ (near chicago--80 ranks), the Organ Stop Pizza Stop (Arizona 80 ranks), Radio City Music Hall (44 ranks)..that already takes the Fox Detroit down to fourth. There are others and many folks don't realize that church organs are the "larger" variety as compared to theater organs. There are many church organs in the Detroit area alone that are larger than the Fox. Again, I think you have done a wonderful job, it is just your source of information regarding the organ kinda hit a nerve....the organ is so misunderstood. I'll get off my soapbox and once again compliment your positing of the pics...they are wonderful!!!

• 1 year later...

Archived