Pats are in the history books . . .

PghUSA

1099267545.jpg

Congratulations to the New England Patriots they have set an all time record but now it is official what their win tally will be in the history books.

:blink: This game even surprised me . . .

well there is a "current" streak continuing in the NFL, it's the best start by a rookie QB at 5 games, Roethlisberger tie Phil Simm's with this win and is one shy of tying the record of 6 straight wins . . . held by ANOTHER Pittsburgh Steeler Mike Kruzek!

steelers.gifsteelers.gifsteelers.gifsteelers.gif

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Steelers streak isn't exactly anything near impressive. And yes, the Pats just made a lot of mistakes, which unfortunately led to defeat. As seen on TV, "21 And They're Done".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BigCity, I liked that when you were full of pride for your team earlier in the week :thumbsup:

As far as the streak goes Philly has more consecutive wins, it is the Rookie QB consecutive wins streak, it's been 28 years since ANY rookie, Marino, Elway, Kelly, Aikmen etc. had 6 straight. True 6 ain't 21 but any record thats lasted 28 years is a feat ;)

That game proved that the Steelers are a serious team. Benny R. Is a heck of a QB, but as-of-yet has not been put in a pressure situation. The Steelers are "hitting on all cylinders" to quote Dicky V. Granted Benny R. has been solid in the pocket, but he has had a lot of backup. I'll acknowledge his ability when the team tells him to go out and win one. (Much like Brady of the Pats 2 years ago.)

The game also proved that in this era of free-agency, no one can have a true dynasty, but the Patriots are as close as a team can get. 21 straight is incredible in the NFL today. It also shows that everyone can have a good day, except for maybe the Raiders...

Finally, just a fun note: The team with the longest current winning streak?

The Philidelphia Eagles. T.O. and all.

Regardless , the Patriot streak is the most impressive in modern day football. Winning 21 games is incredible. Yes, Roethlisberger is impressive, but one man doesn't make a team...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thats one way to put it . . . I would love for sports to be sooooo simple but there is such a thing as "the franchise" player, a guy that IS the sport, a Shaq or ARod, Roethlisberger is fast becoming that type of player . . . Manning or McNab never had two Super Bowl winning coaches on the OPPOSING team comparing them to a MARINO with only 3-5 games under their belt!

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04309/406453.stm

True the Pats "team" streak is one that will be admired for years to come, but the GREATEST rookie QB ever might join them on that same page :thumbsup:

That game proved that the Steelers are a serious team. Benny R. Is a heck of a QB, but as-of-yet has not been put in a pressure situation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know it wasn't the Super Bowl (wouldn't know that going around W. Penn.) Pats did put lots of pressure on BigBen, as well as the Cowboys some, the Oline is pretty good for the Steelers and that reflects very well on Ben but to watch him play by play, for a big man he does burn D's on 5/10 yard dashes and Elwayesqe evading talents, I've seen Ben make himself a whole new pocket then swirl around and make a third pocket. Given hes not Randall Cunningham but to have a Marino arm, a Montana confidence and Elway legs is a nice combo.

Only 5 games down and yes we will know for sure once he wins a playoff game on the road or a championship game or a super bowl when the games REALLY count, but in some of the seasonal tests the guy has the moxy to go far . . .

thats one way to put it . . . I would love for sports to be sooooo simple but there is such a thing as "the franchise" player, a guy that IS the sport, a Shaq or ARod, Roethlisberger is fast becoming that type of player . . . Manning or McNab never had two Super Bowl winning coaches on the OPPOSING team comparing them to a MARINO with only 3-5 games under their belt!

The franchise player doesn't really exist. Sports are that simple. Take high school football for instance. Without all eleven, you DONT win, period. Same as the pros. What would BennyR be without his O-Line or his receivers playing their A-game every week. The answer is nothing. Heinz Ward and the o-line are very beneficial in helping out Roethlisberger.

Steelers last year 6-10 not ONE winning streak the whole season (never won two in a row) lost to Cleveland (5-11 finish) when the played them IN PITTSBURGH! Yes we have Duce but his #s are "good" and thats being kind, he is no Bettis of 2000 in other words. The major difference this year with the Steelers is they are blitzing more and Roethlisberger.

From 6-10 and no wins in a row (with a loss to a 5-11 team at your home stadium) to a 5 game winning streak and a chance to be the best team in the NFL this Sunday . . . yes I'd have to call that a "franchise player" but true wolf the other 10 guys have to show up too :thumbsup:

What most people don't see is that with the addition of Duce, the playbook becomes a whole lot more advanced. There is now the ability to have more variation which causes the defense of the opposing team to change there setup. It is an entire chain reaction that develops with the new addition. This is not to say that Roethlisberger is not good, but just trying to show the truth about the game.

Archived