Musicians on UrbanPlanet

M. Brown

If you are a musician say what instrument(s) you play. You can also put what bands you play in or played in and how long you've been playing it. I play the drums and tenor saxaphone. I've been playin the drums since I was 3 years old. Yup I said 3 years old. I play the drums for my church worship band. I attend Londonderry Christian Church in Londonderry, NH. I've been playin the tenor sax since I was in the 6th grade. I played for the Weston Elementary School band, Hillside Middle School Concert Band, Marching Band and Jazz Band and Manchester High School West Concert Band, Marching Band and Jazz Band. Your turn :)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I play a few... I've played guitar since I was 13, bass at 14 and keyboards/piano all my life on and off (though lately it's been a lot). Here are some of my beloved instruments:

Tacoma Roadking:

TacomaRM6Big.jpg

Takamine EG334BC

516418.jpg

Les Paul Semi-Hollow (except mine is black)

alvarez.jpg

Ibanez RG320FMAM

RG320FMAM.jpg

Ibanez SR506 (Bass)

SR506BM.jpg

Alesis QS8.2

ov_qs82.jpg

I just recently bought one of these as well - Tascam 2488 Digital Recorder

tascam_2488.jpg

Sweet.  Do you have a band?

No, I play alone, LOL! I've been in several bands (nothing popular) and enjoyed it, but I just do it for fun now. I converted one of the rooms in my house to a studio.

This is one wall of the studio...

T40409200550071.jpg

How I wish I could play a string instrument in an orchestra. But I play piano and I've been playing for about 10 years now. Soon, I'll be off to college to study music composition. I play at my church and I also do weddings and funerals and stuff like that. No big concerts for me, lol. I'm glad we got a thread like this!

This might take a while... I'm a musician at heart and a student/mathematician second. (And a SimCity planner 3rd!)

I have played the piano since I was three, when I discovered I have perfect pitch. Since then I have played for almost 21 years. I have performed and competed (and on occasion) placed in competitions from Pennsylvania to Utah. My favorite piano composers are Gottschalk, Rachmaninoff, and Chopin. I have mostly played solo works, like preludes, waltzs, and a few sonatas, but had the honor of performing Gershwin's Concerto in F with the Memphis Youth Symphony when I was 18. Right now I don't have a piano, but it is high on the list of purchases when I have a real job.

I have played saxophone since I was 8. At various times I have played and performed on all six versions (Yes, there are six!) but enjoy tenor the most. (I think it has the most versatility and range to it.) While I might be a classical pianist, I am a jazz saxophonist. Playing legit saxophone just seems like such a waste to me. :) In high school I as awarded "Best overall performer" in the state of Tennessee for three years (1996, 1997, 1998) I've attended Governor's school for the Arts in jazz performance as well as gone to Interloken. While in high school I sat in with the Memphis Hepcats on numerous performances and recorded two albums with them, being a featured soloist on

the album "Lazy Day." (My feature, entitled "Lazy Day", was originally a Bob Mintzer chart used regularly by the Saturday Night Live band.) In college I performed with and sat in for numerous performers, like Mary-Ann Mobley (a former Miss America), The Navy Jazz Band, Sting, B.B. King, Josh Kelley, Ingram Hill, and the Yellowjackets, a legendary rythm section who played with Bob Mintzer and has since branched out. (The night I sat in I played with Lenny Pickett, formerly the saxophonist with Tower of Power and now the screamer with the SNL Band.) I currently sit lead tenor in the Mississippians, the oldest collegiate jazz ensemble in the U.S.A. We are preparing for a 3-day tour ending with a live performance on NPR, scheduled for the 17th of November. I play on a Selmer Series 3, 2004 model in a dull silver laquer. I use an Otto-Link gold-plated mouthpiece (8.3 facing, horseshoe chamber) and Vandoren 3.5 reeds. Jazz is definetly my true love.

I have dabbled with guitar, bass, and played drums (Quints) in marching band and indoor drumline. I have great respect for good drummers, without which no band would ever sound good.

Thats all for me... sorry for making it sound like a resume. I'm currently crossing my fingers, as a friend of mine is the bassist for Nora Jones, and is trying to get me setup to do a tour with them. (I'm not too sure it will actually happen, but I can always hope and pray, right?)

Great thread by the way! This should be entertaining. :)

Here is a pic of my drumset. Its a Mapex. I just took this pics a few minutes ago and it was the first time ive seen my set since yesterday. Yesterday my 12 year old sister had here friends were over messing with my drum set and they pealed the letters Mapex off of my bass drum. I WAS SOOOOO MADDD. I yelled at my mom from my basement sayin Brooke and her friends broke my drum set. My mom and sister came down startled and my mom got mad at my sister and now my sister is in trouble and she is buying my a new bass drum head so now im happy :) Any way here is the pic

PIC_0071Small.jpg

I played the piano for five years. I also played the trombone in middle school, but I never continued that because the band program at my high school pretty much disintegrated. During the four years I was there, there were 11 different band teachers and the membership fell from 325 to 85! From what I've been told, the school FINALLY has a good permanent teacher, and the membership is at 120 right now. Of course this happens AFTER I get out of school, but oh well.

While I would like to learn the guitar, it just isn't going to happen, seeing as how I spend all my time in the architecture studio working on projects. Heck, that's what I'm doing right now!

Norah Jones is great MathNerd! I'll cross my fingers for ya! It's great that we have so many musicians on here, I personally couldn't imagine life without music...just something about creating something of your own that you can hear and others enjoy.

I am attend Woodbridge senior highschool in Northern Virginia and play the clarinet. I'm a sophmore in highschool but I was nominated to go to governors school for my state for the clarinet and the humanities. I made symphonic band my freshman year and played 1st clarinet. I got 1st chair at All district band. I've been playing the clarinet since I was in 4th grade and I think it's really fun.

It's great that we have so many musicians on here, I personally couldn't imagine life without music...just something about creating something of your own that you can hear and others enjoy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. Music means something to everyone, regardless of color, religion, birthplace, social status, etc. Everyone can communicate on some level through music. There is just something about it...

On a personal note, anyone know if Nora is dating/married? Also, I have some soundbytes I could post for anyone interested in hearing MathNerd and the Mississippians, but the file is rather large. Any suggestions? And does anyone want to hear the file?

On a personal note, anyone know if Nora is dating/married? Also, I have some soundbytes I could post for anyone interested in hearing MathNerd and the Mississippians, but the file is rather large. Any suggestions? And does anyone want to hear the file?

Her boyfriend is her bassist Lee Alexander. Shouldn't you know this? :P

I'd like to hear that sample BTW!

I wanna hear it too. My Uncle Maurice Carnes is Pro Drummer. He is most likely the best drummer in the state of Missouri. He played with the jazz great Winton Marsalis and he played with Marcus Roberts, the piano player for Winton Marsalis's band. Infact by Uncle Maurice played drums in one of Marcus Roberts albums. The song by Marcus Roberts called "Deep in the Shed" was number one on the jazz billboard charts and my uncle played

drums on that song. He also played Nicholas Payton. My uncle went on an International tour with Marcus Roberts too. I forget the name of his website. I have to ask him. He is coming out with an album if you wanna buy it. The CD is dedicated to my grandmother.

Is there a way to upload a 31mb file then?

Also, the bassist I know is Matt Winston, a substitute when Alexander has a conflict. Winston plays in a band named Trinity which is popular in British Columbia. He doubles with Nora Jones and has played some with Josh Kelley.

Is there a way to upload a 31mb file then?

Also, the bassist I know is Matt Winston, a substitute when Alexander has a conflict. Winston plays in a band named Trinity which is popular in British Columbia. He doubles with Nora Jones and has played some with Josh Kelley.

No, LOL! Convert it to an MP3 or WMA (WMA will be smaller) and PM me. I will host the file for you. I could convert it for you but have no way if you getting a 31MB file to me, LOL!

Archived