Loft district

jmcrane

I am moving to STL soon and am thinking of moving to the Loft district, mainly the Vangard Lofts. Does anyone have any comments on this complex? I have talked to them via the phone but was hoping for a more independent view. Good or bad is appreciated.

Thanks

Jamie

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is okay for the price range, but it isn't my favorite loft development downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What developments would you recommend? I am planning on being in the area on Thursday and Friday of this week. I have an appointment at Bell Lofts. Also looking at M lofts. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Jamie

I liked the bell lofts, plus a grocery store just opended on the ground floor last week.

From what I understand the M Lofts are supposed to be really nice. btw there located in Lafayette square

My favorite development would have to be the Grace Lofts but this may be way out of your price range

Just out of curiosity where are you from and how familiar are you with St. Louis?

I am orginally from NE Missouri, town called Canton. I have been away from Missouri for 10 years with the last 7 in the Jacksonville FL area.

The downtown has changed a lot since I was a kid. I really had no interest in living DT until I started to see ads and articles on the net about it. I was orginally looking for an apartment in ST Charles area, but the difference in rent was not that much and DT is closer mile wise to where I will be working (IL side of the River). The downtown area just seems like it would be an adventure for a couple years (I will be 34 soon) before I decide to buy a house somewhere. Maybe I am just totally off my rocker, who knows.

What exactly did you not like about Vangard? Bell seems slightly more upscale. Is the downtown safe? What about parking? Sorry for the questions, I don't know anyone who lives in the city now.

Jamie

I know a friend who lived in the merchandise mart apartments downtown. He and his wife enjoyed the trendyness factor for a while but then his car was broken into, and they grew tired of driving far to get to shopping and grocery stores and paying for parking. (they paid something like 120-150/month per car for a garage)

In the end it just boils down to the fact that downtown isnt redeveloped enough yet for most people to want to live there for long. There is little nightlife and pedestrian activity except on game nights. Things are definitely getting better, but there is a long way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

I know a friend who lived in the merchandise mart apartments downtown. He and his wife enjoyed the trendyness factor for a while but then his car was broken into, and they grew tired of driving far to get to shopping and grocery stores and paying for parking. (they paid something like 120-150/month per car for a garage)

In the end it just boils down to the fact that downtown isnt redeveloped enough yet for most people to want to live there for long. There is little nightlife and pedestrian activity except on game nights. Things are definitely getting better, but there is a long way to go.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the information. I will be relocating to the region in spring of 2005. I also would love to invest in DT condo. The fact that Downtown isn't fully redeveloped can be a plus when it comes to condo prices.

I do have a few concerns. Are car breakins that bad? I've also heard that there where alot of muggings? I know people have complained about the homeless, but I don't think its any worse in St. Louis than it is in Atlanta, DC and San Francisco. I know the same type of crime happens at the Galleria and Midrivers mall without mention nor concern from patrons.

As far as the retail end of things, I've heard Straubs is planning to open sometime in the near future. City Grocers has just opened. But Dierbergs or Schnucks aren't at all interested in the Downtown Market. Although I must admit I am kind of concerned about the retail issue as well. I've heard that DT has aproximately 9000 residence and that is a very small population that will not sustain any significant retail like Borders and another department store like Nordstroms or something. However, that number is expected to increase to 18 to 20k by 2010 which is large enough of a number to attract decent retail and put some hussle in the busle in DT. But those are all expectations. Is there really that much interest in Downtown living? When visiting the city during the summer, most of the businesses and people that live downtown seem to love the area and are very optomistic about the potential of not only DT but the city as a whole.

Any other information will be helpful.

I too am planning to move downtown next year and for what it's worth, I have toured virtually all of the lofts downtown and the Railway Lofts is my favorite. I think for the price, it is the best value downtown right now if you're looking to buy. I also like its location right next door to Cummel's. Also, its in the heart of a major development area (Banker's Lofts, etc.). As far as apartments, the Bell Lofts are also really cool and that location is really going to be booming but you must understand that most of that Old Post Office stuff is still a year or two away. But when the Post Office opens, I think that area will be great (even with the awful murder of the Century Building). And yes, it would be nice to have a grocery store downstairs. As far as the comment concerning Scnucks, I can't imagine anything I would ever need that I couldn't get at City Grocers downtown. Unless you absolutely have to buy a 5-gallon jug of mayonaise, then you should be fine.

As far as the car break-ins, that happens everywhere. And besides, most new developments have secure parking. I'll be working downtown so I plan to sell my car anyway which will take care of that problem (and a huge expense as well).

Archived