Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

monsoon

Scrap Electoral College - Popular Vote Instead

Should Electoral College be scrapped and instead US President chosen by popular vote  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Should Electoral College be scrapped and instead US President chosen by popular vote

• No
    • Yes

I voted yes, but a more accurate vote for me would be kind of. I think we should go to a congressional district model (like in Maine), where the winner of a district picks up the electoral vote for that district, and the overall popular vote winner gets the Senate votes.

Election Day should be a national holiday.

We should use only the popular vote to elect or presidents. Thanks to the Electorial College if you live in Alabama and are a Democrat your vote likely won't count. If you live in New York state and are a Republican your vote likely won't count. This is the number one reason Democrat turnout in the south and midwest is low and Republican turnout in the northeast and westcoast is low. Instead of waiting in line to cast a vote that doesn't count, you can spend that time with kids or something that is a better use of your time. If we use popular vote then every vote counts, every voice is heard and a greater percentage of registered voters will vote.

I voted today! :thumbsup:

I'll stay up all night to see if Kerry can win. Since Edwards is from NC maybe Kerry can win NC and my vote will count.

The slaves counted as 3/5 of a person. The Electoral College was also put into place because some elitist leaders didn't think that regular people could vote with the right intentions or understanding, so they set up this system so that the Electors would vote for the states and it would act as another method of protection from some sort of monarchy from being set up, or just from a bad leader being re-elected.

I generally think the EC is a good insitution to have. I understand its purpose well enough. But if it were to go away, I don't think I would miss it too much.

likewise, i think it's ok, but wouldn't be terribly saddened to see it go.

I like the idea of doing it by congressional district. Seems fairer.

Just think of the recount nightmare if we did a national popular vote. It also would seem to weaken my individual vote. By district, my vote is one of ~200k, by state it would be one of ~16million, by country one of ~300million.

I voted no. I always consider the United States one country, but the States having the real power. THat is why there is always politicans saying that it should be for the States to decide. I really like the idea of a more perfect union, and not just one big country. It is the States that represent and give power.

A counter-argument to the popular vote is that politicians would spend more time in the big city or where there are high concentrations of people campaigning rather than in the smaller states and in the country side. Either way, your vote will or will not count.

In retrospective, I believe that despite what the polls say, your vote always counts.

I think that if were to reform the voting system we should possibly allow a person more than one vote .. that is, they could have three votes and either give all three to their candidate, or if they feel split then they can give 2 to one and 1 to the other. I read about this theory in one of my poli-sci classes and I kind-of dazed during the lecture and probably never read the readings, but it sounded like an interesting idea.

I actually think that the best way is to have the best of both worlds. You maintain the electoral college, but you split up the electoral votes in proportion with the popular vote of the state. Maine and Nebraska already do this.