Best TV News in Columbia

Spartan

Who has the best evening news in Columbia?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who has the best evening news in Columbia?

• Channel 10 WIS - NBC
    • Channel 19 WLTX - CBS
    • Channel 25 WOLO - ABC
    • Channel 57 WACH - FOX

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the fact WOLO broadcasts out of 100 Main and looks out over the capital, but news wise I like WLTX however Bob Sheilds could be taken down a notch when he was at the USC football games I covered he was and ass to me and some other photographers he is a small area sports reporter not some ESPN bigshot.

I remember when WOLO first started broadcasting from their new downtown studios about a year ago, there was an article in the newspaper about their move. I think they said that a WIS truck pullled up in front of their building during their 6:00 news. I find that kind of funny that there was a WIS truck in the backdrop of the WOLO news. It wouldn't surprise me if WIS didn't do that on purpose.

I remember when WOLO first started broadcasting from their new downtown studios about a year ago, there was an article in the newspaper about their move. I think they said that a WIS truck pullled up in front of their building during their 6:00 news. I find that kind of funny that there was a WIS truck in the backdrop of the WOLO news. It wouldn't surprise me if WIS didn't do that on purpose.

• 1 month later...

Having just left Cola and USC, I can say I already miss my news team: Channel 19. They were concise, accurate, accessible, and appeared to have good chemistry on camera. I especially liked Darci Strickland-she's a homegirl from Charleston #1, but she also has good reporting skills. J.R. is straight-forward, which is good during breaking news stories, Jim Gandy is awesome and seemingly never wrong about Midlands weather, and Bob Shields knows Gamecock sports like no other in the area. All-star team in my opinion.

On the nights when I was stuck in my room doing work, they were there too and definitely a part of my college experience.

I really like their digital aerial shots of downtown! And while J.R. is a bit of a drag, I prefer his voice to Craig Melvin's, because Craig strains his voice in soprano mode too much. But for some reason I haven't been able to make the switch yet. I'm going to keep trying. It just seems like at 6 p.m. the TV is supposed to be on cable channel 3 and that's that.

Archived