1. 1. Who has the best evenin news in Greenville/Spartanburg

• Channel 4 WYFF - NBC
    • Channel 7 WSPA - CBS
    • Channel 13 WLOS - ABC (Asheville)
    • Channel 21 WHNS - FOX

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably WYFF, they are leading anyway. I think that this market is VERY unique in the fact that it is so geographically spread out and parts of the mountains are so isolated. WLOS wins in North Carolina because they are technically the only news station covering Western NC. WSPA is stronger in SPArtanburg, and WYFF is strong in Greenville and the more populated areas of the market. WHNS provides a good alternative as well. Not like the Charlotte market where all the stations focus on one city primairly.

Thats true. All the stations win out in the long run because of the several cities. FOX has the 10:00 news, so it basicly dominates in its own right. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that WSPA was the first radio station, and later TV station in the Upstate.

• 4 weeks later...

My vote is weak yet its still a vote :-P

Ive only watched WSPA 7 and WLOS 13 and ive found WSPA to have better news than WLOS 13. Both of these channels ive been able to receive in Asheboro, NC over the summer. 7, 10 and 13 are the most favored VHF frequencies that i get different markets spanning 3 states (VA,NC,SC).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This is a biased opinion because I worked there for several years in the sports department, but WYFF is hands down the best broadcast in the area.

Anyone who is on the road and watches local news can tell you that in other cities this size the production quality can be downright horrible. I would put WYFF's production quality on par with some stations in the Charlotte market.

WLOS is on its own and I think puts on a good program to have the lack of competition that it does.

Oddly enough I watch FOX more than any of the rest only becuase they come on at ten, however that news station is really a comedy of errors and I think I laugh more than I am informed.

Thats better than Union dodge. I've always watched WSPA, but am starting to switch to WYFF. It seems that with their "home base" secure, WSPA is concentrating more on Greenville and WYFF Spartanburg.

If you want to get on the news at WSPA run a kennel. They do more animal stories than human.

I hate Union Dodge commmercials! Kia of Greer is just as obnoxious.

This is just being picky, but I like the 7 day (or is it 10 now) forecast on channel 7. John Cessarich needs to get on the ball there. Also, they always stand infront of the Denny's tower while they are talking about Spartanburg. I realize that means nothing, but I find it annoying because that sorts of sets us apart from Anderson.

WSPA annoys me becuase they try to hide the fact that they are based in Spartanburg. If you need to write them (but who would in this day) they list xxxxx International Drive, Upstate, SC. WYFF has Greenville as their backdrop. Slight differences there :)

WYFF seems to go a long way toward making the entire viewing area feel like they're all part of one big viewing family. That said, I think Tom Crabtree and Pamela Graham of WSPA are superb anchors.

WSPA seems to have forgotten that Spartanburg got them where they are. I have always felt the station management would rather cover Greenville than Spartanburg. For a while, WSPA showed their address as PO Box 1717, "Upstate", SC 29304. Now I notice their address shows Spartanburg on their website.

About 25 years ago, WSPA abandoned downtown Spartanburg after editorializing for years about the importance of having a strong downtown business district. This really bothered me.

Welcome to the forum roads-scholar!

WSPA's move sounds very hypocritical. Where was their station located downtown?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm glad to be part of this interesting forum...WSPA was located on North Converse Street in a building now occupied by the First Baptist Church. WSPA radio was SC's first radio station (on the air since '29) while WSPA TV did not go on the air until '56. I think WIS-TV in Columbia was SC's first TV station.

I know the exact buliding. It looks like a TV station somehow :)

One advantage to not having WSPA downtown is that we don't have another ugly transmitter tower (eg Columbia). I wish the one behind the bellsouth building on E Main @ Pine could be taken down... what an eyesore.

I know the exact buliding. It looks like a TV station somehow :)

One advantage to not having WSPA downtown is that we don't have another ugly transmitter tower (eg Columbia). I wish the one behind the bellsouth building on E Main @ Pine could be taken down... what an eyesore.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I recall, WSPA-TV had a tiny little tower on the roof of the building that sent a signal to their main tower on Hogback mountain, about 30 miles northwest. It was hardly noticeable.

You're right about that monster tower on East Main Street. It is an eyesore!

• 3 years later...

^^^Definitely not a good move. Though, I never would have thought something like this would ever happen...

I think it'd be interesting to produce this same thread in the Asheville forum. While WLOS would most likely win because of their location, I wonder how the upstate stations would fair? WYFF's professional and quality production just might win some over... ? :dontknow:

• 1 month later...

Archived