Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Urban_Legend

Florida Ballet building sold

12 posts in this topic

Florida Ballet building sold

4.png

by Kent Jennings Brockwell

Staff Writer

Now that The Florida Ballet has moved into their new location on State Street, what will happen to their former home on Forsyth Street?

Susan Adams, administrative director for ballet, said she

This building would be a great spot for a restaurant or entertainment oriented type of business, since its only across the street from the Florida Theater.

I can see this area becoming "hot" and it's only like 1 block from the Bay Street Town Center. I think that once development and business becomes stable on Bay, it'll spread to the adjacent blocks. Or at least I hope...

I agree with you about the development spreading outside of Bay St. The only building in the entire area that is not condusive to this is the Yates building, and unfortunately, it's not going anywhere soon.

I wish the Yates' parking garage could get a facelift. I doubt they could configure it to have retail, but at least a paint job. I'm grateful that Jacksonville doesn't have acres of surface parking, but we sure got some nasty garages, lol.

It would make you cry, if you see the 6 story brick building that was demolished for that parking garage. You'll feel even sicker to see the beaux arts courthouse destroyed for the garage on the east end of that blcok. I'll see if I can dig up some pics.

That is terrible but I think that jacksonville is moving in the right direction with restoring all of the older buildings and turning them inot lofts! Good move Jax.

^And, they're trying to have all new garages include retail. But I don't think it's working on all these projects, because the Carlington's garage doesn't hae any retail, but it could include retail in the future.

Here's a pic of the demolished old county courthouse, which sat where the parking garage now stands. If you look close (to the left) you can see the back of the 6 story brick building that was also demolished.

sp01556.jpg

Here's a pic of the original courthouse that sat on the east side of Market St.

rc03126.jpg

That is a shame. I love the first one though. That would have been neat in the skyline.

Absolutely beautiful buildings. Its a real shame these were not saved. This is why it is so important the preserve the Laura Trio, Barnett building and the other yet-unrenovated buildings downtown. Let's don't add to the beautiful-but-gone list.

You know, there were many historic buildings east of Main Street that didn't make it. Most of our historic set lies west of Main. Most of the historic buildings on the east side are churches, compared with all the old banks and offices in the CBD. It's truly sad to see what we've lost, although Jacksonville still managed to hold on to alot, compared with other cities.