New condo/publix project renderings

tm68

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't this going on the small parking lot on Central across from the Lake Eola Yacht Club?

This looks like a great project and will rise over Lake Eola nicely. The density along Central is just getting better and better, it will be basically built out after this goes up! Think of that!

lakelander, here is the article

Mayor Buddy Dyer announced plans for a new project in Thornton Park.

By Rich McKay | Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted October 28, 2004

Supermarket shelves will be just an easy stroll away for downtown residents if a proposed 16-story high-rise of condos, business offices and a long-sought grocery store gets the go-ahead from the city.

Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer announced Wednesday that the city has reached a tentative agreement with a development group to build a Publix grocery store, a key piece of the mayor's vision for a revitalizing downtown. Publix Super Markets Inc. has not confirmed the deal.

While the city has seen a downtown renaissance since 1999 and several developers had made pitches before for food stores, this is the first time officials said a downtown grocery is on the horizon.

"We knew we've needed three things -- [more] people living downtown, theaters and a grocery store," Dyer said at his state-of-the-downtown address at the Expo Centre before an audience of community and business leaders.

"A full-service grocery store is one of the last pieces of the puzzle in making downtown the 24-hour city we all envision," he said.

David Eichenblatt, an Atlanta developer who is wrapping up the conversion of the former Four Points by Sheraton Hotel to condominiums, said the introduction of a downtown grocery store is a big deal.

Stan Gerberer, an associate with Fishkind & Associates, an Orlando-based economic consulting firm, said that a grocery chain's interest in building downtown means that the industry is recognizing downtown's worth.

After all, it costs at least twice as much to build a store in a downtown than it does in the suburbs because of land costs and infrastructure.

"If the volume isn't there, they could see huge losses," he said. "Absolutely, it's a milestone for downtown Orlando."

While the name of the grocery was treated as an open secret when developer Kevin Lawler, with a newly formed Tampa development partnership, made a presentation Wednesday afternoon to the Community Redevelopment Agency Advisory Board, Lawler repeatedly said a 29,000-square-foot grocery store is central to the plan.

CRA board members repeatedly called it a Publix while Lawler, with Thornton Park Partners, said that he is obligated to keep the name secret for now.

If it is approved by the City Council, the $75 million project -- dubbed the Thornton Park project -- would be built at the corner of Central Boulevard and Lake Avenue.

It will also have about 312 residential units and about 5,000 square feet of retail space and about 3,000 feet of office space -- as well as underground parking for residents and shoppers.

The project got the approval of the CRA, including about $3.7 million in incentives and tax breaks, which will go before the City Council in mid-November.

Dyer also lauded the impending Dynetech Centre, a 27-story tower proposed for the corner of Magnolia Avenue and Washington Street.

The developers bought a city-owned parking lot at a price of $2.2 million for the 0.68-acre site. The developers will receive no concessions or incentives from the city, and the City Council at Monday's meeting approved this project.

Dyer emphasized the momentum that downtown is achieving, including a groundbreaking ceremony for Premiere Trade Plaza on Orange Avenue on Wednesday evening.

Dyer said that 14 months ago the Orlando Sentinel, writing about the Plaza, reported that "Homeless people, termites and rats the size of small dogs have taken over downtown Orlando's most coveted piece of real estate."

"We will break ground tonight on a construction project with high-rises, a movie theater, shops and restaurants," Dyer said.

The Plaza project is the largest redevelopment in the city center's history, featuring two office towers, a residential tower with 310 condominiums, 105,00 square feet of retail space, a 12-screen theater and a 1,600-space parking garage.

The $140 million project, set to be completed by spring 2006, has also received the biggest incentive package from the city, worth $22.5 million in tax rebates, cash and loans.

Dyer said that he thinks the city has reached a watershed moment, and the time of incentives for downtown development is over.

"If anyone is looking for more [public aid] they need to talk about developing in Parramore," the mayor said, referring to the next neighborhood he wants to redevelop.

Dyer also said he would like to see the city's arena and Citrus Bowl refurbished, although the costs estimated for such a project are up to $150 million.

While Dyer said he has no idea where the money would come from, he said it would be a boon for the city, spurring redevelopment of more neighborhoods. He pointed out that Jacksonville is hosting the upcoming Super Bowl, but Orlando has more hotel rooms and amenities.

"If we are able to develop a funding formula, the Citrus Bowl, when we are done, will be one of the pre-eminent facilities for football," he said.

Isn't this going on the small parking lot on Central across from the Lake Eola Yacht Club?

This looks like a great project and will rise over Lake Eola nicely.  The density along Central is just getting better and better, it will be basically built out after this goes up! Think of that!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is going to be on the corner where there is currently a smaller 2 story office building. Judging by the size of this project, its my guess that it will take up that parking lot as well.

• 4 weeks later...

For those who choose to live in downtown, within less than ten years that will be a reality!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Having gone to a mall after turkey day, I couldn't help but think when I saw all those people with their red and green packages what they'd look like strolling down Orange heading back to their condo. Publix is a good start but then a downtown Bloomingdale's or Macy's would be nice and would tend to draw in people who don't live downtown.

Having gone to a mall after turkey day, I couldn't help but think when I saw all those people with their red and green packages what they'd look like strolling down Orange heading back to their condo.  Publix is a good start but then a downtown Bloomingdale's or Macy's would be nice and would tend to draw in people who don't live downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with everyone else that this is really going to improve the quality of life downtown. Small things like this grocery store and the movie theater that's going to be in the Plaza (I think) will go a long way to creating a more desireable urban environment. A new Arena/Stadium or PAC would be great, but unless you're very wealthy, those are things you can only do a few times a year. I've also thought that a downtown outdoor retail district would be great in downtown. Although I hope it would work, it might be risky if it depended to a large degree on those from the suburbs coming downtown to shop (rather than going to Winter Park Village or Mall of Millenia). However, once some more of these towers are built (when there are something like 15,000 new residents in downtown) then an outdoor shopping district might be more viable and less dependant on people coming in from the suburbs. Ultimately, to be a success, I think the shopping experience would have to capitalize on the downtown environment to create an experience that is unavailable anywhere else in central florida. Two examples of unique urban shopping districts that I can think of are Union Square in San Francisco and to a lesser degree (but perhaps closer to what we could pull off in Orlando) the Grove in LA. I haven't been, but I think I've heard that Michigan Ave. in Chicago is great urban shopping district as well.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea where this could work downtown?

I'd say any major "healthy" city has a downtown shopping core (NY, Chicago, Boston, SanFran). Orlando could support this in the future if things continue on this road and the city itself begins to promote itself to the tourists better. We need to get them downtown when these projects begin to take shape. I think Orange Ave is going to become the retail district as the downtown matures, especially with the Plaza spearheading this effort as well as Kuhns next project further down the street. We might see the nightclubs on Orange get pushed out as time goes on. I guess they will have to move somewhere else.

If downtown had a shopping district that was basically serving downtown residences then I think would need a Magnolia Ave front. I say this because in order so serve the Uptowners, Midtowners, and Downtowners, who are living the urban lifestyle, they'll need to get their packages home. The best way I can think of is with Lymmo, although it's route would need to be extended into Uptown.

I don't know if this has been talked about in Orlando, but one way to help a downtown retail district become a reality, would be to convert one way streets, like Orange Ave, back into two way traffic corridors. This would so down vehicular traffic, thus enhancing the pedestrian atmosphere, as well as offer more visibility and accessibility for retail stores.

• 1 month later...

Archived