Your City's Cop Wheels!

PghUSA

Interested in seeing how your city or town advertises the ideals most important to it on the side of cop cars/bikes/trucks!

As always Pittsburgh being the ONLY city with every sports teams having the same colors BLACK AND GOLD, the cop cars and bikes are naturally gonna follow suite :thumbsup:

cops.jpg

agressive_cops_sm.jpg

The Police Hat:

cop.gif

The Paramedics:

a_medic_14-2000.jpg

Interested in seeing your towns!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

University of Michigan Police

police.jpg

Ann Arbor also has a police department of course, but I never see too many Ann Arbor units. Because U of M is situated right within the city, the campus police patrol neighborhoods and business districts surrounding the campus. I actually have no idea where U of M's police station is though.

This is one of my favorite shots of Downtown Detroit that I took last June. Notice that the car clearly has a Detroit Police logo on the door. Now take a closer look at what is wedged between the whiper and windshield. Just goes to show that they have no mercy towards expired meters in the City of Detroit! :wacko:

0.jpg

I stopped paying the parking meters in the city of Ann Arbor. It's a waste of money. You can park all day and night along the street without paying the meter and only get a $5 fine!!! I had quite a collection of those fines last year. I took them and paid them all at once at city hall. Very covenient and cheap method of parking IMO.

• 9 months later...

Wow. Those Swedes love color!

As far as the police truck in front of the no parking sign, it doesn't matter. No parking signs are there for average joes NOT to park. Spots that have no parking signs are there so police/fire/EMT vehicles CAN park there.

Police/fire/EMT can park ANYWHERE. No parking signs or not.

That's a sweet Euro police motorcycle.

Boston police:

28_21_51_web.jpg

Picture464_28Jul04.jpg

I'm having trouble finding pics of Boston police cars. But they are simply Crown Victorias with the Boston Police logo. Does anyone have a good explanation for American police driving the huge Crown Vics, especially through the narrow streets of a city like Boston? And on top of that they've started driving SUVs too!

Here's Umass Boston, my school:

police011a.jpg

They drive their giant Crown Vics all over the terrace above the parking garage much of the school is built atop. I have no way to know for sure, but I suspect that the major damage to the terrace tiles has something to do with cars driving over it.

Does anyone have a good explanation for American police driving the huge Crown Vics, especially through the narrow streets of a city like Boston?

Cops love Crown Vics because they're the last of a dying breed--the full-size, full-frame, RWD V8 sedan. They're rugged, can take a lot of abuse, and aren't too expensive to fix should something break. They have plenty of power for pursuit situations, and they're relatively safe in an accident. This is why they're the vehicle of choice for so many police departments.

Granted, in a large city, some of these attributes may not be as important, but it still goes a long way toward explaining the choice.

Those are some great pics, you wonder who's fault those accidents were. Is it true in florida that the insurance company for cop cars is the state itself? I know technical question but seeing all that destruction thats what comes to mind.

@ TheBostonian - I would assume that Crown Vics became a standard police car due to their high quality 5.0 engines (which are easy to maintain and provide alot of horsepower), physical endurance (police cars run in some cities/towns nearly 24 hours a day), etc . I would also think that marketing and price deals from Ford played a big factor in the establishment of the Crown Vic as the standard police cruiser for so many years in most of the country.

From what I see it looks like the Impala is replacing the Crown Vic as the car of choice for alot of departments, and once Ford stops production of the Crown Vic (this year?) I think the Impala will clearly become the dominant cruiser.

I thought the Crown Vic had a 4.6? I could be wrong...

A former friend of mine was a wannabe cop and he expressed the police departments' general level of anguish over the impending demise of the ubiquitous Crown Vic. He said the departments just aren't too hot on the idea of front wheel drive.

Archived