Best TV News in The Triangle

DigitalSky

Who has the best TV News in Raleigh?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who has the best TV News in Raleigh?

• WRAL-TV (TV 5, Cable 3, CBS)
    • WTVD-TV (ABC11, Cable 9)
    • WNCN-TV (NBC17, Cable 6)
    • WLFL-TV (WB22, Cable 2)
    • NEWS 14 (Cable 14)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Best News:

1 WRAL has always been consistant and continues to do so

2 WTVD has slipped a lot ever since Miriam Thomas left as well as Bill Reh. Its not the same anymore and somebody respond to this question, is Larry Stogner still there?

3 WNCN is slowly getting better. Bill Gaines is by far the best they got

4. WLFL i would give them the #2 slot when they had Swinkowski plus there affilated with Newscentral

• 1 year later...

WNCN-TV is an Owned and Operated (O&O) station of the NBC network.

It looks like NBC is trying to sell their O&O's that they own in smaller markets, and just keep the NBC stations they own in the largest markets.

http://triangle.bizjournals.com/triangle/s...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

Important to note: WNCN is #3 in the ratings, behind #2 WTVD (ABC 11) and #1 WRAL (5/CBS)

http://www.newsobserver.com/104/story/386846.html another story

I almost voted for News 14 Carolina only because I knew no one else would (or because of Heather Childers).

That channel shocks me sometimes with what they report on. I remember last summer, a couple days after some big golf tournament happened at Pinehurst #2, they were reporting on how there was still some trash left behind. Another time their "top story" was about some graffiti on the side of a barn in Wake Forest or Holly Springs or something.

I like how WRAL's Gerald Owens looks kind of like Durham Mayor Bill Bell. Feels like I'm gettin' the news straight from the mayor.

NC-Durham-BillBell.JPG2346598.jpg

Well, I guess they don't look that much alike.

:rofl: Well, you've never seen them in the same room, right? Seriously, look at that airbrush job on Gerald's picture. I think flash or some of you others could do a better job, (well at least I KNOW they'd do a better job if we wanted a 40 story building shooting out of his head, but I digress).

I like WRAL for the hard news and weather, then switch over to 17 for sports. I really like that 10 o'clock sports show on 14, but I can never remember to watch it. Oh, how we all miss Mike Solarte!

I almost voted for News 14 Carolina only because I knew no one else would (or because of Heather Childers).

Uh, yeah, news 14 has a couple of girls on there that are really hot. as far as their content = weak

WRAL heads the pack, however, their UNC bias still bothers me.

UNC bias is ridiculous. WRAL, other TV stations and the N&O show no bias towards UNC. Believe me, UNC fans likewise think they are biased towards NCSU. The difference in coverage is simply a matter a fact. UNC has been better in sports than NC State has. Period. Get over it.

My own notion though has been that WRAL is slightly tilted towards NC State, WTVD is tilted towards Duke (it is a Durham station) and NBC17 is slighlty favored towards UNC. Just a gut perception.

That channel shocks me sometimes with what they report on. I remember last summer, a couple days after some big golf tournament happened at Pinehurst #2, they were reporting on how there was still some trash left behind. Another time their "top story" was about some graffiti on the side of a barn in Wake Forest or Holly Springs or something.

Yet they were the only news organization at the Fayetteville St. chandelier meeting. They have me scratching my head, too. Good thing is that they don't devote SO MUCH time to Fayetteville like the others, especially 5, do. Kinda quirky, though, and that's why we'll put it on when we're doing busywork.

I tend to watch them all trying to run from commercials, but I do like NBC17. Ok, call me a sexist but an attractive lady newscaster does get my attention. I do like News14 since it meets the hours I keep.

I like WRAL but I do have a few issues with them. They are not as bad as they use to be but they blow the average story so out of proportion just to fill that 3 1/2 hours of news time they offer.

ALERT !! ALERT !! SPECIAL REPORT

This is a trick question because most TV news generally contributes to the dumbing down of serious policy discussion in the United States.

A notable exception to this downward spiral was the strong, candid coverage from New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

Ironically, the other strong source of compelling journalism is in fact, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.

I LOVE that stuff, though! It's what local news really ought to be. I'd rather see that than the conservative-ish WRAL any day. Plus weather on the ones rocks.

This is a trick question because most TV news generally contributes to the dumbing down of serious policy discussion in the United States.

A notable exception to this downward spiral was the strong, candid coverage from New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

Ironically, the other strong source of compelling journalism is in fact, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.

What's so ironic is the Daily Show started out as parody ala Saturday Nite Live type news. Now they are respected as legitimate journalists. Look at the guests they have, very prominate figures indeed. Next thing you know Dubya will be up there himself. I will say, I trust them more than the FOX NEWS and CNN types.

• 2 months later...

When I was reading the paper today about Katie Couric anchoring the CBS Evening News starting in September, I was kinda suprised that the "NBC Nightly News" and "Today" were both in last place in the Triangle market, even though they are number one nationally. Also suprising that the CBS Evening News and the Early Show were number one in the triangle, however last nationally. I guess that goes to show the strength of your affiliate base is what really matters.

Archived