Best TV News in The Triangle

DigitalSky

Who has the best TV News in Raleigh?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who has the best TV News in Raleigh?

• WRAL-TV (TV 5, Cable 3, CBS)
    • WTVD-TV (ABC11, Cable 9)
    • WNCN-TV (NBC17, Cable 6)
    • WLFL-TV (WB22, Cable 2)
    • NEWS 14 (Cable 14)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I can remember when WTVD had the best news. They dominated. They had the coolest and best anchors. It was like that movie "Anchorman."

But it's fallen from grace over the last several years and now WRAL simply dominates.

I can't ever remember this day. Actually I think the difference is as close now as it has ever been. WRAL lost their news director, oh, 8 years ago??? Their field reporters are much weaker now than they were 10-25 years ago.

NBC 17 will have a real hard time competing, they will just have to accept the fact that they are third wheel. they would get better ratings picking up a sitcom to fill their local news slots.

That's coming from a State fan who (I am sure) didn't take too kindly to the national media's portrayal of State's basketball program recently?? :P

^One difference - NBC17 has never been a dominant broadcast in the state, and I'm sure it has never won two Emmy's for best newscast in the country :-P

You don't remember the miraculous run that Val Holley-Dennis made in the 80's where she, left for dead, was able to stall the other newscasts into following the wrong lead? :)

I can't remember if it was 28 or 17 back then, probably 28, but Val Holley-Dennis said this little gem:

"Bruce Springsteen's new CD 'Tunnel Of Love' [hit stores today and fans came out to get a copy]. It's The Boss' first studio CD since 'Born To Run In The USA' was released in 1984." :rofl:

NBC 17 is moving their local news into the 7 pm slot. Didn't they try this once already and fail miserably? At least they outlasted the "news" form Sinclair/WB 22. They tried to out "fair and balance" Fox News Channel with canned national stories and commentary.

Also, NBC 17 news and the NC State coaching search could be replaced with a sitcom and no one would notice the difference, which is sad coming from a State grad.

^I don't think WTVD has ever dominated WRAL - maybe in your opinion, but I'm pretty sure WRAL has always been tops, ratings wise.

Ahh, Charlie Gaddy - I loved him.

I remember Bobbie Batista who left WRAL for CNN, Vern StricKlin with the farm report, Bob Debardellabin (nice try at that spelling huh?) And Adelle A. (not going to attemp that spelling) that later left for a chicago station. I am 40 now and when I was 5 years old I was on the Uncle Paul show...does anybody remember that far back with WRAL? :whistling:

I remember Bobbie Batista who left WRAL for CNN, Vern StricKlin with the farm report, Bob Debardellabin (nice try at that spelling huh?) And Adelle A. (not going to attemp that spelling) that later left for a chicago station. I am 40 now and when I was 5 years old I was on the Uncle Paul show...does anybody remember that far back with WRAL? :whistling:

Adele Arakawa. She was good. I believe Donna Gregory replaced her (have y'all seen DG on MSNBC?). I think that some of the teasers that Debra Morgan, Pam Saulsby, and (especially) Gerald Owens are SO cornball. GO the other night said "Caniacs get your tickets! Fans of the Hurricanes can skate over to the RBC Center tomorrow and get tickets..." We cannot "skate" over to the RBC Center, Gerald! Not cute.

Bob DeBardelaben was a patient in the previous practice where I worked and I was surprised to see that he had a big ol' blurry, green tatoo on his right forearm. He also wore a big gold chain and a big gold bracelet. My favorite quote from him on TV was "Well. That storm just kinda swooped down from the mountains!" We got something like 10" of snow when they were predicting a dusting.

I got to go be on Uncle Paul when I was 5, too! It was my friend's birthday. He was really neat. I was so glad that I got to hear him play piano in the 90's.

Frog Hollow was horrible, though.

What about Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling live from WRAL!!! I was a big Rufus R. "Freight Train" Jones fan.

You might like this wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRAL-TV

• 7 months later...

I always watch TV 5 as its what I've grown up with and its Raleigh's main station. They seem to be the most professional and most complete of all the other news sources in the Triangle. However, I will tell you that I personally do not really care too much for Pam Saulsby. She would be fine if she'd just relax a little not stare into the camera with the stare of death during a report.

Plus TV5 is the only station that offers they news in widescreen hd.

The only other local news channel that I watch is News14, and this is only for reports that they'll show from the Charlotte area. Being a NASCAR fan, this station is a great asset in May and October when the races are down in Concord at Lowe's Motor Speedway. They'll show many reports and news events from the track that I cannot get from the three other local stations in the Triangle. As well, I do enjoy their "Sports Night" program at 10pm since the other local news don't ever seem to devote too much time to sports anymore, at least this way I can watch a local version of Sportscenter that has more interest to me.

My vote goes for WTVD. I'm not sure why. I think it's out of habit. I grew up in Durham, and WTVD was the "Durham News" back in the day. My dad would NEVER watch WRAL--that was the "Raleigh News"--so I had that ingrained in me pretty early. Also, I did my internship there (I was a communications major) and I know some of the people there, so I'm sure I'm biased. :)

WRAL is very, very good, though--and I hear it's an EXCELLENT company to work for.

Channel 17--I feel like I'm looking at a lesser-quality news or a college production. I swear. I don't even think the picture quality or graphics look as good as TVD and RAL. Maybe it's just a mental thing.

I remember Bobbie Batista who left WRAL for CNN, Vern StricKlin with the farm report, Bob Debardellabin (nice try at that spelling huh?) And Adelle A. (not going to attemp that spelling) that later left for a chicago station. I am 40 now and when I was 5 years old I was on the Uncle Paul show...does anybody remember that far back with WRAL

Archived