Broderick Tower to be Renovated?

Allan

I was talking with a guy who is working at the Kales Building during the open houses, and I asked him to confirm what Mojo said about the buildings north of the Kales Building being renovated soon. He said that that was incorrect, and that the developer who is developing the Kales Building just purchased Broderick Tower, and they plan to renovate it within the next 2-3 years. Now I am confused. It's clear that the developer is doing more housing in the area, but is it the Broderick, or it is the buildings north of the Kales?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you get this information from a guy named Dewelle at the open house? I don't know exactly which building he was talking about when he was talking about the rennovation. I do know that it's on Park ave though. In any case I hope both rumors are true.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was his name. I remember that it started with a D. LOL. I was asking him as we were walking down the stairs (I was on the 16th floor with a friend, and they needed to lock up the building so he had come up to tell us to come down). I asked him about the development, and he was like "no, it's the tall skinny building over there," as he pointed in the direction of the Broderick. I asked him, "wait, Broderick Tower?" and he replied "I don't know...the building with the whales on it."

A guy was boarding up the Park Avenue Building when we were on the 12th floor. There were two guys in there for something, although I have no idea for what. Later, I noticed a new "for sale" sign on the building.

If this development is on Park, it must be either that small bank behind the Kales, Blenheim Apartments, Detroit Building, Park Avenue Building, or the Charlevoix Building. Unless he meant a building "on the park" when he was talking to you. Then Broderick would apply. I just can't see Ilitch moving on his buildings. I wouldn't think that it would be the Charlevoix...that building is in really bad shape.

How many of the buildings does Ilitch own in that area anyways? Don't tell me he owns that entire district. I'm beginning to loathe this guy more and more. When Dewelle wat showing us around we only saw floors 1- 4, and he was pointing to the building from the 4th floor. Maybe his sense of direction wasn't that good when he was pointing at Park ave. Now that I think of it though he reference the buildings on Park ave, so I don't know.

How'd you like the building by the way? Did you get a chance to take any pictures?

Ilitch owns three buildings in the area: Hotel Vermont, Blenheim Apartments, and the Detroit Building. He also owns several surface lots that used to have buildings on them.

The building was very nice - I could definately see myself living there. The views from the upper floors are awesome! I have pics from the Kales, but I only made it up to the 16th floor. It will take me a long time to get them posted, since I took over 300 photos yesterday.

Unfortunately, Broderick Tower is being vandalized quite a bit. Everyone knows how to get in the place now, so what is left is being destroyed quickly. Since those pics were taken, things have really changed. For instance, this mural in the penthouse has now been destroyed.

b48_JPG.jpg

Additionally, a set of blueprints for the tower (which was originally called Eaton Tower) have been torn to shreds...completely destroyed. There is still another set somewhere in the building that is almost a complete set, however.

I ran into a photographer on the street who was documenting Detroit buildings yesterday. His project originally started out as an Albert Kahn project, but has now shifted to all historic buildings in the city. He said that a couple of years ago he was at a party at the Flame Grill and the people who own the place let them go up to the top. I find that hard to believe, since it is vacant and there are a lot of liability issues.

Did you by any chance see the set for "The Island" ouside of the United Artist building?  There's all kinds of rubble in the streets, and a downed helicopter.  I definately think they're going to use the UA building as the backdrop for that scene.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did actually see the set for "The Island". They were still constructing the set. I noticed that they put a spotlight on the roof of the UA. They also painted fake graffiti on the boards. At least if you want to call it graffiti. It looks more like childrens' line drawings to me!

Unfortunately, Broderick Tower is being vandalized quite a bit.  Everyone knows how to get in the place now, so what is left is being destroyed quickly.  Since those pics were taken, things have really changed.  For instance, this mural in the penthouse has now been destroyed.

b48_JPG.jpg

Additionally, a set of blueprints for the tower (which was originally called Eaton Tower) have been torn to shreds...completely destroyed.  There is still another set somewhere in the building that is almost a complete set, however.

I ran into a photographer on the street who was documenting Detroit buildings yesterday.  His project originally started out as an Albert Kahn project, but has now shifted to all historic buildings in the city.  He said that a couple of years ago he was at a party at the Flame Grill and the people who own the place let them go up to the top.  I find that hard to believe, since it is vacant and there are a lot of liability issues.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am curious whether the guy who told us they were going to do the Broderick is right, he didn't even know the name. Lets just hope, if not, we will have the Broderick abanoned.

"I am curious whether the guy who told us they were going to do the Broderick is right, he didn't even know the name."

That's the same thing me and my girlfriend were thinking when we went to the open house 2 weeks ago. We thought he might just be trying to make it more appealing to people who are afraid of abandonned buildings. I never did tell he where I was from so he might have though I was turning my nose up at the buildings, when I was just admiring the views.

Is it Witherell Corp?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL, I hope you're joking! Out of the three buildings that the company owns, only one is occupied - the Ramada Plaza Hotel. And that is in really poor shape. It has not been maintained like it should be. Not that that comes as a surprise...just look at Broderick Tower and the Farwell Building!

I definately agree. That mural is hideous! And to think it was a gift to the city! Some gift....

I have always enjoyed art, but not on the side of a historic skyscraper. And especially not a mural of aquatic life! It just doesn't fit there.

I hope they add more windows on that side, too. I don't think they need to worry about another building covering them up anytime soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The reason there are no windows on that side is because the elevator shafts run along that side of the building, not down the center. This was the case in most early skyscrapers, such as the Guardian Building (note that the Woodward side is lacking windows). I don't mind not having the windows. Having them would be quite pointless. I just hate that whale mural!

Archived