Broderick Tower to be Renovated?

Allan

What source is this from?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This comes from the bar manager at Tavern on the Park. He has known Mike for a long time. He also works at channel 4, so he hears all the news that comes in.

Mike owns a fourth building downtown, but I don't know the name of it - it has a bank in it. That building and City Club are his two big money makers. He got his start very young. His father was very well off, and Mike began buying properties and selling them to developers before he was even a teenager. At age 12, Fortune maganize published an article about him. He was considered the richest 12 year old in the country at the time. However, rising insurance costs on his older properties has basically left him with no money. In many cases insurance companies won't cover him at all, so anytime someone is injured at one of his properties he is forced to pay out ridiculous sums of money in lawsuits. The people basically get whatever amount they request, which is why Mike pays out $6 Million per month on the Ramada Inn alone.

• 2 months later...

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And I will say, whale mural or no whale mural, bar or no bar, that building will be there for good. Honestly, the bar owner is a great guy, but it has been months, and we haven't heard any threats dealing with the Broderick. The tower is there to stay, and it isn't going to be torn down in a year, a decade, or even half a century. No one, not even the city or state has the money to tear it down, and Hines has still been interested in the building.

The city is hell bent on getting the building torn down. However, they can't do anything about it, since they don't own the building. So the building is not going anywhere anytime soon.

People from Hines have been making more frequent visits to the building - about every two weeks - so the pace has picked up. Hines is in control of everything now. Mike Higgins has been visiting Hines' corporate headquarters every other week to push the whole process along.

Wolverine is right, this building isn't going anywhere any time soon. The only thing it is in danger of is continuing to sit open to the elements, and even that doesn't seem to be likely for too much longer if the rumors hold true.

I really hope Hines and Higgins can work out something and take a chance on downtown Detroit which is quickly strengthening month by month. Just imagine how they'll look back in a few years and kick themselves for not at least cleaning the building up sooner.

I believe the tower will be residential with ground floor retail. I've also heard they made a deal with the city to use the Grand Circus Park East Parking Garage exclusively, just like Kales did with the West.

Theres a rumor that the Post Bar sold the building next to it and the new developers are going to start again soon. Last weekend there were piles of bricks that weren't there before. I'll check again this weekend to see if there is any progress. Broadway is turning out to be a very happening district and a large bar like that and Broderick renovations will only add to the area's appeal.

I'm sure others here could give more details on each.

I'm thinking the Broderick could hold 3-4 units per floor. Touring the building, you would never think it was meant to serve as an office building. The very closed floorplans seem more adapted to residential use. I'll have post a few photos of the Brody's floorplans.

It is my understanding that they want to try to do a restaurant or bar on 33 & 34, as opposed to a penthouse apartment similar to the one that exists now. The problem is that the elevators only go to 32, which would mean extending the elevator shafts to 33 & 34. However, extending the elevator shafts would mean that all the elevator motors and mechanicals will have to be moved up to the roof.

By my count, I get 30 x 3 x 1.5 = 135

There might be a few more, depending on if any of the floors have 4 units per floor, as opposed to 3.

And an average of 1.5 people per unit. 150 people. There has got to be more units than that. Only 150 people in that building assuming the average of 1.5 people per unit. Seems kind of a small amount.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not really. The Broderick has small floors. I could tell you how many square feet they are, but I don't feel like digging out my floorplans. Maybe if I have time later tonight....

I might be able to post a few photos later too. I have a few that show the levels in good detail especially the top floor mechanical room. So we would then know if the elevators could go higher, which I believe they can at minimal extra costs in construction.

The total square footage of the Broderick Tower is 193,921.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is my understanding that the 193,000 square foot figure includes the 6 basements, as well as the 10 foot easement that surrounds the building. I have the square footage of just floors 1-34 somewhere...I just have to find it.

Wolverine, you'll have to post the 33rd & 34th floorplans. I remember that I gave you the roof plan. I don't remember what else you have. I know that I only have the plan for the lighting on the top. Most of what I have is plumbing, electrical, basements, and elevations. I don't remember having any plans from the mechanical room, although I do have plans for the 1942 renovation of the penthouse.

Here's all I have on my computer now...and it certainly won't help us with the elevator thing, but it's interesting to look at. This is the north elevation before all the details were removed.

post-67-1115436429_thumb.jpg

post-67-1115436429_thumb.jpg

Archived