Broderick Tower to be Renovated?

Allan

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They've done feasibility studies on the Broderick every year or so since 1998, which is really when they started to think about getting the building done. It never moved very far though, since a lot of the city grant money for downtown projects was tied up with things like the Hudson's demolition, Comerica Park construction, etc.

From what I have been told, renovations will begin soon. There has been a lot happening behind the scenes for the past several months.

They've done feasibility studies on the Broderick every year or so since 1998, which is really when they started to think about getting the building done. It never moved very far though, since a lot of the city grant money for downtown projects was tied up with things like the Hudson's demolition, Comerica Park construction, etc.

From what I have been told, renovations will begin soon. There has been a lot happening behind the scenes for the past several months.

Assuming this is the real deal now with the project actually happening, I have to wonder how much the sucess of the Kales influenced the decision to move forward. I agree with the sentiment that the David Whitney wouldn't be far behind if the Broderick is redeveloped.

I thought one of the sports networks was going to use a portion of the broderick (or was it the whitney?) during Super Bowl week?

I know it's too early in the process to know what will be in there- but what would you guys like to see in the retail space inside the Broderick?

The plans posted on Kraemer's website are essentially plans to show the people at Witherell Corp. what can be done with the building. They were essentially trying to sell Witherell Corp. on the idea. What is ultimately built will likely be changed somewhat.

I am sure that they took a look at the Kales, since it is the most similar project to the Broderick. I don't know that the Kales renovation's success has caused them to move forward though, since the project has been in the works since before Kales was completed.

I'm really glad that they've settled on four floors of retail. They could've just decided on ground floor retail and called it good. That is a lot of retail space though. Hopefully we'll see things that downtown needs...like a grocery store. Years ago they were talking about starting a large new club there, but I don't know about now.

Mike has applied to the City Council for historic designation.

ESPN is supposedly using the ground floor of the Whitney Building during the SB. They'd be stupid to not bring something in for the ground floor of the Broderick during then either though.

Some clarification on what's going on with the Broderick has been posted under the appropriate thread at DetroitYes. I didn't feel comfortable copying it here but perhaps someone else will. It sounds like it's in good hands now and will hopefully will be done in a reasonable amount of time... I would love to see what kind of retail that building attracts.

WS

I have never been inside the tower, but I know some of you have, and I'm curious if the floor space is larger inside than it appears to be from the outside. Are the first 4 levels large enough to pull in larger stores from "big name" comanies? How many retail outlets do you think can be shoved in there? Of the buildings I've explored in Detroit, this is one that I have not had the courage to attempt.

Broderick Tower is all sealed up, so there's no reason to even attempt it. I always found it amusing that people would rip off the boards on the Chicken Shack/Church Building next door thinking that it was the way into the Broderick. Actually, there was a way in through there, though I doubt anyone ever got in that way.

The floor plates are 4200 square feet. The plan has long been to have entertainment on the first two floors and offices on three and four. I doubt you'll see any big name retail in there. They were going to try to do a grocery store in the Church Building next door, but I don't know what the most recent plans are. Construction on the lower floors will supposedly start within 2 months - I'm assuming so that they could rent out the space during the Super Bowl. The construction on the lofts is probably about 6 months away, with completion date sometime in late 2007.

Retailers aren't generally interested the city right now. When Borders opened I remember hearing something like that their rent would be covered it store wasnt profitable, they were that uncomfortable moving downtown. I'd doubt any tenant in the Broderick got terms that favorable.

The Broderick shouldn't have any trouble finding any tenants though being so the ballparks. I could see a 2 story bar/restaurant doing very well.

Borders has done better than they expected. They do have the right to pull out of their lease without penalty at any time if the store is not profitable, though. Hopefully Borders has paved the way for other businesses.

The Broderick's location seems ideal for a restaurant/bar with its proximity to Comerica and Ford Field. It would be nice if we could get something other than restaurants downtown, but I am confident that those will come with time. Typically when a downtown revitalizes, the restaurants are the first wave of new development.

It's hard to believe when the Broderick was built that it housed six separate retail spaces on the ground floor, especially since the floors are not that large.

I had a dream last night that I thought you guys would get a kick out of, as well as probably think that I'm crazy- oh well...

I imagined that it was Super Bowl XL sunday, and i watched the Lions beat the Steelers at a two story TGI Fridays inside of Broderick Tower, and then my fiance and went up to our apartment on one of the top floors and watched the celebrations flood into the streets! Urban Planet is sinking into my brain, and making me think crazy thoughts!! But it was really cool just imagining what the town could some day be like.

Archived